Start by marking “Letters From Home” as Want to Read:
Letters From Home

Letters From Home

3.23  ·  Rating details ·  194 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Letters from home lift John Caldwell’s spirits during his tour of duty in Iraq. Phoebe Honeycutt, otherwise known as Aunt Bee to all the kids in the neighborhood, fills an empty place in his life through her letters and cookie care packages after the death of his grandmother. But what John doesn’t realize is that Phoebe isn’t the doddering old lady he believes her to be. A ...more
Published (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Letters From Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters From Home

Kristy
Ugh, OK I don't know if I would have liked this book better if I read it instead of listening to the audio version or not. But I have to say I couldn't STAND the audio version! The girl reading the story talked SOOOOOOOOOOO SLOWLY!!!! I had to keep rewinding it because I would lose interest in what she was saying and my thoughts would wander away from the story. ALSO, the southern accent was so bad, and the voices she made for the different characters drove me nuts!! All this really detracted fr ...more
Steph
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
A sweet southern romance that didn't have a a lot of sex in it but did have some crafty old women which I don't mind they're hilarious. This is a really a sweet story where two people find each other which gets a little frustrating at times when you're like come on already but good nonetheless
Hazellie
Aug 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013-books-read
OMG, what a terrible book! Ok, I'm sorry for seeming mean with this review, but this book is just really bad.

It's cruel and thoughtless, and John was selfish and stupid and clueless. It's just really stupid. I'm sorry, but I am extremely angry at the thoughtlessness of the way this book was written, and I know if I didn't like it, I could've stopped reading... but that was the problem.

I actually liked the first part of the book, I liked the characters, I liked Aunt Bee, and John and his army fri
Tanya
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Listened to this book on audio over the weekend and went for lots of walks just so I could keep listening. Ended up talking with a bit of a southern accent just like the narrator! I quite enjoyed it for a light weekend read.

Bee writes to John while he is serving overseas to let him know his grandmother has passed away and so begins a correspondance between the two. Its not until John is on his way home that Bee realises he thinks she is his grandmothers age. It is too late to let him know that
Amber
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute book but I'm pissed I didn't get to know what happened with Baldwin and the the other guys it would have been 5 stars but you only get 4 for that alone
Katie Barton
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it

The book Letters From Home by Jo Barrett, is an amazing book that captured my interest. I loved reading it! The main characters in the book are, John, Tommy, and Phoebe. John is a young man who is in the army, but after Phoebe and he send letters back and forth about his grandma and about them selves, he comes home to the U.S. to finally meet Phoebe and Tommy. Phoebe watches Tommy, who is a little boy who's mom left him behind for Phoebe to take care of. Tommy calls her Aunt B.

This is a brief
Lori
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Yes,it was predictable. Yes,you knew what would happen. Yes, you knew how it would come together in the end. All in all though it was a very enjoyable audiobook. This audio was $2.95 on Itunes and was a good price for a cute story. The narrator R.E. Chambliss did a very good job, giving the characters different voices and emphasis on the right sentances and words. This is i believe my first audio read by Mrs. Chambliss. I would definitley listen to another audiobook read by her.
Ocean
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook while running. Totally predictable but still a fun listen. Not something I would probably want to read but it did a nice job of keeping me entertained during my run and I really did like the characters.
Nicola
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute, if somewhat predictable, story. I always enjoy a feel good book-- nice to read about characters who are genuinely good people! I was surprised to find that I enjoyed listening to the audiobook so much -- but I do need more comfortable earphones.
Darcy
I thought this one was very cute. You knew where it was going to go from the first page, but it was still fun seeing Phoebe and John along their journey. Some of the best scenes came from little kids and meddling old people. The ending was perfect for the couple.
~Megan~
Complete and utter fluff, but I loved every inch of it! Sometimes you just need a good sappy, feel-good romance, and this one fit the bill for me and my current mood.
Mary
Dec 25, 2014 added it
audio
Libby Anderson
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I truly enjoyed this book but was completely predictable from the first chapter. Seemed like the same old story kind of read.
Ioanna
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
<2 actually.....not for me!!!
Casse Willard
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet story, with a happy ending...very good to uplift your spirts!!
Joli
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Predictable but an enjoyable light read.
Tristen
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: have-in-audio
It was predictable.
Katie Miller
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a cute fast read. I enjoyed the characters and felt for the little boy Tommy. It made me want to cook cookies for soliders. :)
Dailycheapreads
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Listened to it on audio - cute, predictable and perfect for a light read.
Leeanne Kilpatrick
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nice-stories
It was lovely. Nice story, strong heroine, hunky military dude. Light and airy. Just what I was looking for.
Jessica
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Listened to this book because it was on sale on Audible...don't waste your money. Very predictable plot.
Joann Krause Radke
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was ok not a lot of romance
Nicole
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This was an average book with what should have been an above average storyline. It is not unenjoyable, it just falls short of where it should. Still worth a read.
Cat
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Audio book reader anoyed the crappy out of me. If i read it myself it would have been 3 starsdit
Karen Russell
Great story line. I found this on sale on itunes for just a couple of dollars so I listened to it at work. There is one sex scene, the language was pretty clean and no violence. I enjoyed it.
Lisa
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice easy vacation read.
Meghan
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Listed to the audio version. The story line was much too predictable and the characters were awful!
Evie Storm depiano
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Sheina
rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2012
Maree
Apr 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Million Wishes (Wishes, #1)
  • Sentimental Journey
  • Everyday, Average Jones / Harvard's Education (Tall, Dark and Dangerous #4-5)
  • Travelers Rest
  • The Promise
  • The Women of Tenacity
  • Heartbreak Highway
  • Long Time Gone (Konigsburg, #4)
  • The Betrayal
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • The Memory of You (Return to Redemption, #0.5)
  • Lost in Shadows (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • Breakpoint (High Risk, #4)
  • Hold On to Me (Hearts of the South, #3)
  • Nothing Else Matters
  • Battered Not Broken (MMA Romance Companion Novels, #1)
  • Underground Guardians Box Set (Underground Guardians, #1-2)
  • A Place of Forgetting
Jo currently resides in North Carolina with her patient and supportive family while she juggles her writing career and her position as a programmer analyst. She has won numerous awards and continues to write whenever she can. Someday, she hopes to take off her programming hat and write full time. So many of her dreams have already come true. What's one more?
Email: jobarrett@jobarrett.net