Start by marking “Healing Back Pain Naturally: The Mind-Body Program Proven to Work” as Want to Read:
Healing Back Pain Naturally: The Mind-Body Program Proven to Work

Healing Back Pain Naturally: The Mind-Body Program Proven to Work

After suffering from back pain for twenty years, Dr. Art Brownstein shares the cure that worked for him and thousands of others.

Back pain is a global epidemic and the number one cause of disability in the US for people under forty-five. Seven out of ten people in the US will suffer serious back pain at some stage in their lives.

Sharing his own story of surgery, painkiller
Published June 1st 2001 by Gallery Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Healing Back Pain Naturally, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Back Pain Naturally

Steve
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
More conventional than Sarno, so if you're skeptical (I'm not), lots of good advice....
Roxanne
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga, self-help
My father has had three spine surgeries to date, and as a yoga teacher, I've wondered what I could do to help him while at the same time fearing to damage his back further. My friend Kyle recommended this book. Dr. Brownstein's program is one that a yoga teacher can really get behind, focusing not just on recovering from physical injury, but on the mental, emotional, and spiritual aspects of healthy living as well.

Dr. Brownstein begins the book by telling the story of his own struggles with debi
Krystal
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've had back pain for years. I have sciatic joint stiffness and sometimes have spasms that will leave me on the floor for hours. I have tried chiropractic, physical therapy, massage and hot yoga. With all of that I have been able to keep the spasms at bay for over a year now but I haven't been able to get rid of the constant pain and stiffness in the si joint. My brother recommended this book. He used it to get through his back pain - 3 buldging discs which he was told he would have to have sur ...more
Mike
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you are reading this review, you are probably looking for some pain relief. Keep reading. I've read a number of back books and there were always problems.

For example John Sarno's book tells you "hey, its all in your head. Go ahead and run. If it hurts you its because you've been taught to fear running because society tells you it can't be done with a bad back". Really?

A book on posture gives you 15 steps to sitting correctly, a dozen steps to sleep correctly, 92 steps to lift things correctly
Vanessa
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
it's not been a good year for my back so far.

this book really was a great find. it's honest and real. it made me view my pain in a different way. with that said, there are WAY too many exercises in this book to memorize and be a 20 minute a day regime! it would take me 2 hours to get through them all. and most still hurt me to do. so i'm going back to it in a few more weeks.
still it was a bargain of a book and i'm glad to have it.
Jane H
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-other
LOVE the many yoga-based stretches and strengthening exercises in here. Was also reminded about the importance of deep relaxation and meditative practices. The book could have been shorter and equally effective for me, but then it wouldn't have worked for some others whose problems are different than mine. So far, the practices in this book, plus regular yoga practice, are keeping me mostly pain-free!
Robert Foege
Reading about a doctor's struggles with back pain may be entertaining in a schadenfreude sort of way, but this book does not add much to the dialogue. The author finally finds relief in a 7 month yoga retreat in India, which is beyond the reach of most patients, and the instruction on exercise, nutrition, &c. is better presented elsewhere.
Noelle
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
This is a MUST READ for anyone who struggles with back pain and issues.
Christine
Jun 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the very best helps when dealing with chronic back pain. A must read for people who suffer from frequent problems with back spasms.
Terri
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very helpful for people with chronic back pain!
Miller Mediators
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. My back has really benefited thus far.
Paul Gier
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a really good read for anyone suffering from back pain and considering having back surgery.
Sharon