Start by marking “My Invisible Boyfriend” as Want to Read:
My Invisible Boyfriend

My Invisible Boyfriend

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  1,030 Ratings  ·  163 Reviews
Heidi has the perfect solution to her popularity problems - a fake boyfriend. She's even made him an Internet profile that makes him look like a motorcycle-riding, poetry reading bad boy. *swoon* Heidi's friends are so impressed they start emailing Heidi's fake boyfriend with their problems . . . including their problems with Heidi.

As if that weren't bad enough, a deliciou
Published April 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about My Invisible Boyfriend, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Ipshita
Jul 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own, young-adult, juvenile
This is the first time I am giving a book only 1 star. Wish I could give it more but this book seriously tested the limit of my patience. Okay so when I started reading this book I was totally confused and did not get a clue as to what was happening for the first 10 pages or so.
I will immediately state the reasons as to why this book didn’t work for me.
Reason 1: The heroine referred to her dad and mom as ‘Dad Man’ and ‘Mothership’ throughout the whole book. Now some people would think that its
Petra
This book had it's charming parts, but mostly it was just too juvenile for my taste. And I didn't like the way it was written. At all.
Rox
May 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Don't be fooled by the nice summary of this book, or else, you'll burn.
I know that this novel is YA, so I'm expecting teenage talk and all, but having those teenage code names right at the beginning is a major headache. "Mothership", "Dad Man",and "Peroxide Eric" to name a few screams WTF are these?! There should be a limit to using code names, or if you really have to use it, I hope that the readers won't be thrown to the bizarre world of code names without even a short introduction.
Then there'
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
How much trouble can a fake boyfriend cause? Apparently a lot. Heidi, caught in the moment makes a fake boyfriend. One that is sweet, broody, and a boy that every girl wants. Heidi also has a blackmailer who knows her secret.

I loved Heidi. Her willingness to go all the way with this plan is cool. At times I wondered if she can remember that this is all fake. She really seemed into the fake boyfriend she made.

I am surprised at her friends. It just goes to show who your friends really are. I woul
ضحى الحداد
I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at a book .. this book was seriously funny with a lot of unexpected twists and turns that I really had no idea how will it all end, I enjoyed the book and it's funny concept however I did have a problem with the writing style .. it was kind of annoying to me and also, somethings felt too rushed for my taste .. other than that it was a cute high school comedy and I enjoyed reading it :)
Cheryl Klein
Sep 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
A charming little bonbon of a book, delivering exactly what the title promises: a funny romantic comedy full of good banter and funny mixups (e.g., creating an online, supposedly long-distance, ultimately nonexistent boyfriend for yourself because all of your friends have sig. others, then having all of your friends friend your boyfriend and start asking for romantic advice). One of my favorite fun reads of the last year.
Lauren
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that when I first started this I didn't like it very much, but as the story went on and the characters, as well as the writing, became clearer and more developed, I was hooked, quite simply. Since when you take out the slow moving beginning, My Invisible Boyfriend is one darlin' book that I simply couldn't get enough up, and I hope the same goes for you if you take the leap and read it too!

Heidi was a charming, yet naive (Though who isn't at some point or another?) main characte
Feb 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
I picked this up at the library because the premise sounded interesting and I liked the cover (hey, when you're flicking through a shelf of library books what else do you have to go on?) but it was so dreadful that I quickly gave up in disgust. Life is too short to finish stupid books. For a start the writing was incredibly annoying - the main character had the attention span of a squirrel and the vocabulary of a TV show for teenagers, written by adults. I couldn't even follow what she was sayin ...more
N.T. Embe
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy high school non-stupid drama, and mysteries! And humor/romance! <3
Recommended to N.T. by: Library
I knew I was going to be entertained by this book, just from the name and the summary I read on the inside cover. But what I didn't expect was how much I ended up enjoying this book! Mind you, it has all the stereotypical settings: high school, everyone getting hooked up and ruining the "best friend gang~!" feeling of the years before, and then our main female lead trying to fit in as best she can to try to save that group of friendship she had with her buddies. Then again, I guess that's exactl ...more
Rain Misoa
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who want a light read and don't mind high school drama/crap.
Recommended to Rain by: Nicole Terazue
Man, this book was a trip. I spent so long reading it (mostly because life enjoys beating me into a bloody pulp) that I feel I know these characters personally. That I lived with them in this boarding school. That I was about to go squealy fangirl over the yaoi... oh, wait... I did do that... OH WELL! What I'm saying is that I REALLY enjoyed this book. I didn't think that I would considering that this is just not a genre I like. Why in the world would I want to read about high school life/drama? ...more
Mara
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Cover Blurb: Yes or No? Well, considering that this is a chick-lit, I can't exactly say much about the cover, because it does fit the genre. And since I'm not a fan of chick-lit in general, I'm also not a big fan of chick-lit cover art. This one is better than most, because it at least has something going on, whereas most chick-lit books are like Sarah Dessen - there's nothing happening. It's just . . . a sunset. Or a random pair of legs. Yawn.

Characters: Heidi was rather adorable in all of her
Vanessa
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recensione qui: http://ilibrisonounantidotoallatriste...

Heidi è sempre stata una ragazzina solitaria, quella che veniva lasciata in un angolo o presa in giro. Ora non più. L'anno prima è finalmente riuscita a crearsi un gruppo di amici davvero divertenti, con cui ha passato un anno fantastico. Ora le vacanze estive stanno per finire e lei non vede l'ora di rivederli! Già pregusta tutte le cose che faranno insieme, le feste, le risate.. ma le cose non vanno come lei sperava. Al rientro dalle vaca
Nafiza
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Admit it, you've been tempted sometimes. To do the same exact thing that Heidi does: invent a perfect fake boyfriend. When you are among friends who go through partners like they are handkerchiefs and you feel unwanted and undesirable because you don't have anyone doting on you. Or if everyone else in the group is paired up and you stick out like a sore single thumb. Heidi uses this fake perfect boy (complete with what is equivalent to a FB account) to fit in, smooth the edges which would otherw ...more
Kristi
Jun 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Heidi has been dragged around the many private schools of England by her teacher parents for most of her life. Always the new girl AND daughter of two teacher types, she's never really fit in. But once her parents take positions at a "last ditch for the rich kids" private school, Heidi finally makes some friends and her parents inexplicably stop and stay there for a while.

Heidi loves Mycroft Christie (a very Doctor Whoish character) and watches the several seasons of his show on DVD. She'd enjo
Daphne
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Who knew that a fake boyfriend could cause so many real problems?"

Heidi has a problem. All of her friends have gotten significant others except for her. She's not very popular, and with her friends busy with their boyfriends, Heidi spends more time alone than not. Being smart and resourceful, Heidi thinks up the perfect solution: A Fake Boyfriend. A funny, witty, bad-boy boyfriend named Ed. She creates a fake online account for him and even starts IMing her friends pretending to be Ed. But what
Amber  ~ The Reading Addict
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Meg Cabot fans
(Actual rating was 4.5 stars)

Can I just start out by saying how much I enjoyed this book? I mean, really enjoyed it? My Invisible Boyfriend is one of those books that makes you smile over and over again. Lighthearted and witty, Day's writing was able to tickle my funny bone. At the same time, the story also deals with the many insecurities and problems faced by teen girls today.

Heidi is a hilarious character. Her ridiculous schemes will make you groan in horror and laugh out loud. I loved Heidi'
Duanur
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, fun
It was better than I expected! This was my 100th book on goodreads! I took a risk to read this book as my 100th. But it didn't dissapoint me. It was light and fun. But it was not shallow. Heidi is trying to find her place in the world. And I think it is the usual problem with fifteen-year-old-teens. I am, too 15 year old and I am glad I don't have "belonging" problems.

She wants to be like her friends and when a misunderstanding happens she continues lying. She pretends like she has a boyfriend.
Chelsea
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed reading My Invisible Boyfriend by Susie Day. It was a cute, quick read that definitely kept me entertained. There were definite moments in the story that I thought it was really cheesy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I just felt it was really strong.

I loved the sillyness of the novel just because I was really in the mood for a lighter read after reading two emotional stories, and this was the perfect book for that. I loved Heidi's quirkiness, but at times felt her a little ov
Sorrel
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Susie days books! They're all so funny and entertaining- and this one was no exception. Heidi was likeable and satisfyingly normal, apart from her craziness, which is half what is loveable about her! I loved the idea and I loved the way all of her friends were described. The ending was a little obvious but it was perfect and so lovely that it made you happy! All the characters were so well described that I could picture them in my mind. It made me laugh out loud at points, al in all brill ...more
Rachel
Feb 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable book that's the perfect (not-so) guilty pleasure. A total blast.
Eve
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Heidi lives in a boarding school with her best friends. Her parents own the boarding school and her mum seems more like a sister the way she talks to Heidi for a lot of the book.

The book was very juvenile in its language and so tried my patience a lot sadly and I found it dragging on.

The idea of the story was good with Heidi having to create a fake boyfriend and deal with the history of the two of them etc. As well as her friend group being very varied with a gay friend and his boyfriend as wel
Amalios
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I so did not read some parts of this in a British accent
;)

OK :/ 4 1/2 stars

Hm. This gurl. I found out who it (“E”) was before she did. Way before. And she’s “Detective Ryder”
Like, how hard can it be?!
Only two people know about Ed.... hint hint... one of them is a boy... oh. IDK! Maybe he could be that mysterious guy sending you emails.
That’s what pissed me off. Otherwise, everything was good.

Yes, DUH Teddy/Rupert was my favorite character
Alice Nuttall
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure, the author is a friend, but this book is funny and sweet with an adorkable heroine and a realistic take on teen life.
Shel
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Day, S. (2009). My Invisible Boyfriend. New York: Scholastic Press.

275 pages.

Okay, so this is another book that got my attention before it was even published and then post-publishing it kept slipping to the far side of the mountain of books in my To Read As Soon As Possible Pile.

But look, here I am, getting to it!

Appetizer: Fifteen-year-old Heidi is in love with Mycroft Christie, the protagonist of her favorite cancelled TV series. So with the start of a the new school year, she's excited for an
Ray
My Invisible Boyfriend is the second book by Susie Day, an author I have honestly never heard of until this book popped up on my Goodreads rec'd list. She has written a handful of YA/young children's novels so far.

Plot: Heidi feels a little jealous and left-out of the snogging scene so she invents a new boyfriend based off of/inspired by a fictional detective TV show (with some healthy homages to Sherlock Holmes and the Agatha Christie books) and fakes him through convincing online interaction.
Emma (Miss Print)
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: amazon-vine
After a whole summer away from her friends, Heidi is thrilled for the start of the term and the chance to be one of the gang again.

But before she can say "frog girl" Fili has found the only other Goth at the Finch, Ludo is snogging a guy with piercings and peroxide blonde hair. Big Dai isn't even big anymore. After a summer of intensive training he's downright svelte. And dating Henry Kim.

Heidi is exactly the same except for her awesome, slightly dodgy looking, new trench coat. It's kind of quir
Kate McMurry
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cute young-adult chick lit comedy

Fifteen-year-old Heidi's family moves around a lot, and that combined with the fact that she's an quirky, creative loner has caused her to have trouble making friends over the years. In fact, she's often been labeled as a geeky outsider, with terrible nicknames like Frog Girl. For most of her teen years, her only friend has been a make-believe one, Mycroft Christie, a "time-traveling gentleman detective" from an off-the-air TV series with whom she has imaginary c
Namratha
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit
Ya-Lit authors are getting sparkier and cheekier. Girl Meets Cake is a classic example of an author who got it just right. Be it an endearing heroine, a crazy ensemble cast or a free-flowing plot-line...the book has it all.

Heidi Ryder is a plaited teen geek/fangirl. Constantly shuffled around by her parents, she has finally found her stomping ground at the posh Goldfinch Private School. Sadly, she’s not exactly at the top of the food-chain since her mother is school PE instructor and her dad i
Rabiah
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Originally Posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/2...

As Heidi feels left out when all her friends start falling in love– she's desperate to find someone too...and she's do whatever it takes: beg, borrow, or... imagine.
The cute idea of a story and the cover definitely peaked my interest, and I was squealing when I found out that my school's library had it. The publishing date is also pretty hilarious for this book (April Fool's Day!) and it's definitely what this book is. It's funny, gra
Jordyn
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, uk, ya
For the first time in her somewhat nomadic life, Heidi Ryder has friends. Real, actual friends. And she belongs. But when those friends come back to school after summer break with significant others, Heidi feels herself slipping out of that belonging feeling she loves and, in a moment of panic, she maybe accidentally invents an imaginary boyfriend.

Of course, the premise of inventing a boyfriend (and then giving him an online personality/life) is one ripe for hilarious complications and hijinks.
  • I Now Pronounce You Someone Else
  • Swoon at Your Own Risk
  • Invisible Girl
  • The Oracle of Dating (The Oracle of Dating, #1)
  • Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress
  • For Keeps
  • The Alpha Bet
  • The Naughty List (The Naughty List, #1)
  • A Field Guide for Heartbreakers
  • Forget-Her-Nots
  • After the Kiss
  • Head Games (Pretty Tough, #3)
  • My Fake Boyfriend is Better Than Yours
  • The Complete History of Why I Hate Her
  • The Karma Club
  • The Star Shack
  • Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood
  • Swapped by a Kiss

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“When I mentioned the notion of “playing hard to get,” it wasn’t intended as encouragement. Ignoring me will not change how I feel about you. It’s a familiar enough situation, after all. You pass by – I hope you’ll notice me watching – you glance my way, smile, move on.” 1 likes
“I can cope fine with the world ending: It’s the world being unfair I can’t manage” 0 likes