Start by marking “The Clearing” as Want to Read:
The Clearing

The Clearing

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  1,983 Ratings  ·  382 Reviews
In this bittersweet romance, two teens living decades apart form a bond that will change their lives forever.

Published April 12th 2010 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Clearing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clearing

Aleka Gurel
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
‘The Clearing’ hooked me from the first page and wouldn’t let me go until the last. A far cry from the usual vampire-infested YA that seems to be most of what’s on offer today, it chronicles the relationship that develops across the ages between Amy, spending her senior year in her great aunt Mae’s small town to escape the memory of an abusive relationship, and Henry, living with his family in their farmhouse where it’s always the summer of 1944.

I liked the very neutral, understated cover; I thi
Fanny Núñez
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :C

Cómo puede la autora hacer esto????? :C

El libro me encantó, me creó unas ansias por seguir leyendo, y Henry me enamoró desde el primer momento <3. Fue un libro que logró ponerme la piel de gallina con las situaciones que pasaron y con cáda página con la que me acercaba al final, sabía que lo que este contendría sería inevitable, pero eso no me impidió conservar la esperanza de un talvez...

Un libro hermoso que nos enseña que el amor es tanto hermoso co
Cara
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: readers who enjoy tragic love stories
Shelves: 2010, paranormal
Now before I write anything else I should mention that though I didn't really enjoy this book I know there are other readers who would. It just isn't my kind of book. Too much tragedy for my liking.

Amy has just gotten out of an abusive relationship and to get away from it all she moves away from Seattle to a small town with her great-aunt Mae. She finds one true friend, named Henry, out in the clearing. The place is odd though. It always has some kind of mist around it and it's hard to go throug
Milly
Oct 24, 2010 rated it liked it
There’s something so magical and so romantic about time travel especially if it involves two people in love but are separated in two different times and two different worlds. This was what reeled me in to reading this book. In starting this book, I have envisioned it turning similarly alike to the movies such as Lakehouse or Tuck Everlasting. Unfortunately, I might have had my expectations too high because the conclusion of this book was confusing and just did not make sense to me. I wish that t ...more
Chelsea
I liked this one (probably a 4, but not a 5) right up until the end. The story was well paced, the characters were likable and had some depth, and I liked the family relationships that were featured alongside the central romance. And I'm sucker for time travel books in general, so there was that too.

But the last 3 pages killed it for me - not the ending itself, which I don't want to spoil, because that made sense and I even liked the way it tied back into the new present. But when Davis tried to
Bethany
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely love this book even the second time around.
Kristi
Aug 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
I gave this novel a three star rating however, a two and half star rating would better reflect my feelings.

This story just didn't have much going for it. The Clearing was beautifully told and the Amy and Henry's relationship was particularly compelling, unfortunately those were the only aspects that the story that made a lasting impression.

Amy & Henry's relationship is the one thing that 'made' this story for me. Watching their relationship grow and evolve, the choices they ultimately had to
Tiana Dalichov
Disclaimer: Very few books that I've read in my lifetime have been able to make me shed tears (TFioS, Marley and Me, Clockwork Princess). None of those live up to the emotional turmoil I'm experiencing right now because of this book.

THE CLEARING had me bawling my eyes out. Literally sobbing in my bed, curled around my body pillow and just begging for someone to hold me and make the feels go away. That is how touching, how very real this book was for me.

From the first page I fell in love with D
Fatima
May 24, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Este es un romance agridulce, donde dos adolescentes viven en décadas muy aparte con un vínculo que cambiará sus vidas para siempre. Amy es atraída a la niebla misteriosa que se encuentra de atrás de la casa de su Tia Mae, ya que para ella es el lugar perfecto para esconderse de la vida. Un lugar donde podrá bloquear el dolor de su última relación, para evitar los adolescentes de su nueva ciudad, para poner un paro y pensar en lo qué futuro le puede deparar luego de la secundaria. Entonces ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Lesley for TeensReadToo.com

Amy has moved in with her Great Aunt to get away from her abusive relationship with her ex-boyfriend, Matt. Now living in the middle of nowhere, Amy is having to make new friends and start over at a new high school. She finds it difficult leaving the past behind and letting her guard down with her new friends.

Seeking comfort from everything that's going on around her, she sees a misty clearing behind her Aunt's house. When she crosses the other side she mee
Evening Iwanowicz
May 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I began this book and feel in love with the story. However, the ending quite frankly (excuse my language) sucked. It ended on a very, very bleak note that was told to you as if it was the best thing that could have ever happened. Don't bother reading this book it is disappointing and you are better off reading something that will enhance your analytical mind anyway.
Danielle
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Amy is drawn to the misty, mysterious clearing behind her Aunt Mae’s place because it looks like the perfect place to hide from life. A place to block out the pain of her last relationship, to avoid the kids in her new town, to stop dwelling on what her future holds after high school.

Then, she meets a boy lurking in the mist—Henry. Henry is different from any other guy Amy has ever know
Meredith
I opened this book with high hopes. I tend to be a sucker for YA romances, particularly those with a paranormal slant. However, given the supersaturation of the YA market with paranormal romances right now, I ought to have read this with more realistic expectations.

You have probably read this book before. A first-person heroine with very few distinctive character traits, talents, or goals. A new start in a new town at a new school. A feeling of detachment from her classmates and a failure to fin
Abby
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Clearing is a love story between a couple in two different ages. Amy moves in with her Great Aunt Mae to get away and forget about the abusive relationship she had with her ex. While staying with Mae she goes to a clearing which takes her to 1944 where she meets Henry. Perfect, country boy, gentlmenly, Henry. Mmm. I think I fell for him. The moment he called her sweetheart I was just..done. My heart exploded. I need me a man like that. :P Anyways, as they start to fall inlove the time pocket ...more
Kaitlyn Amira
Oct 06, 2010 rated it liked it
16-year-old Amy is trying to escape from an abusive relationship. She goes to live with her Aunt May in the country, and while throwing sticks for her German Shepherd, Katie, she discovers a clearing shrouded in fog. When Amy teps through the fog, she is in an endless summer of 1944, and there she meets Henry, an 18 year old, very sweet boy.

I found this book fun to read, but some apects of it were kind of flat. The romance that does, of course, develop between Amy and Henry happens a little bit
Crystal
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the best that I have read. Though quite short this book deals with a girl's life in the present and a boy's life from the past. A teenage girl who wishes for a different life, and a guy from the year of 1944 who is stuck in that time. Unless he goes through The Clearing. The clearing that seperates the past from the present, although the boy can't leave his timeline. The girl who eventually meets the boy becomes friendly with him but doesn't know about what time he is from, ...more
Anne Osterlund
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Amy moves into her aunt’s trailer in a small town in Washington in order to escape. Her past, her abusive ex-boyfriend, and her less than supportive mother.

But teenagers are still teenagers. High school is still high school. And Amy isn’t exactly emotionally prepared to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. The only place she feels safe is a perpetually mist-covered clearing on the edge of her aunt’s property.

Where Amy meets Henry.

Henry is trapped. Reliving the same summer in 1945 over and ove
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Amy doesn't have a whole lot going for her in Seattle. She's just come out of a disastrous relationship and her friends don't believe her when she tells them how bad it was for her. She decides to try to get a fresh start by moving in with her great-aunt Mae in a little town called Rockville. Amy's been hurt so badly that it's hard for her to open up enough to even make friends. When she's out throwing sticks for the dog one day, Amy notices a band of fog at the back of the property that never g ...more
Kate McMurry
Poignant YA romance

Escaping from the aftermath of a bad relationship in which her boyfriend Matt verbally and physically abused her, teenager Amy chooses to start her senior year at a country school and live with her great aunt in a single-wide trailer. Even though it is Amy's idea to move there, she is hurt that her mother and stepfather don't put up much of a fuss about it, and she's depressed that she's left behind all her friends. In her new town, she feels alienated and unwilling to be open
Misha
I did enjoy this book and there were a number of parts compelled me to read further when I knew I should be revising, but overall there was something a little flat about it.
I have given this book 2.5 stars for the premise and for Henry. With Henry I could see exactly why he wanted to stay within a certain time: his fear for his mum and the fear of being carted off to war. He had a number of sides and depth.
However, then there was Amy. Whilst she was likeable enough, I felt like she had no dept
Lucy
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh god, this book was great! All 228 pages of it (or well 100% on my Kindle but it sounded weird that way). I began skeptical because already a couple of pages in I was bored and I had long ago decided that I need to enjoy a book from the beginning to not put myself through a book that will turn out boring. I WAS WRONGGG. Okay, yes the beginning was a tad boring but you start catching little details (none of what I'll say because I want other people to see the foreshadowing for themselves) and t ...more
Lauren
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Summary: Amy is recovering from an abusive relationship and has just moved in with her Aunt Mae, who lives in the middle of nowhere.
Henry prayed one horrible night for things to stay the way they were, and now he and his family are stuck in a time loop, unable to walk beyond the mist that surrounds their property.
When Amy and Henry meet, they find comfort in each other. Will comfort turn into something more…?

My thoughts: The Clearing is a sweet little love story with a creative time-bending twis
Kyli
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I can't even finish reading this one. I'm giving it 2 stars because the concept is a thought-provoking one with a lot of potential, but the story itself didn't live up to any of that. The characters were, as many others have said, flat and one-dimensional. Amy is particularly boring and her use of the word "freaking" really irritated me, especially since she used it in such an ignorant way in regards to Henry and his old-fashioned way of life.

As far as her experience with her ex-boyfriend, it w
Dani
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is a 3.5 or a 4 star.

I love anything about the second world war, and I am a sucker for romances. At first I wished there would be more "passion" between Henry and Amy, then I realized that's what kept the story so innocent.

THe theory of this story was AMAZING and the despereation I felt when I realized Henry was stuck in his world like he was, made me realize how great of a writer Davis is.
What did let me down was the lack of character in the characters. I felt like they were too
Lisa
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y-a
I was surprised by this one. I bought it on impulse because I thought the cover was simple and pretty. I read it in one sitting. It was a quick read but oh how I loved it.

It had all the important things. Interesting plot, originality, likeable character you care about and good writing.

It was a haunting, strange story. It was about a girl who meets a boy. She really likes him, he really likes her. But he isn't from her time. He is from the past. When she goes into a clearing close to her house,
Hannah
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-trash
I give it three stars because it was fast-paced and engaging, and I was waiting to see what would happen to the characters at the end. But it verged waaay to close to Twilight territory at some points. The main character, Amy, has four boys after her over the course of the book, three simultaneously. Though she has a little more personality than Bella Swan, she's still rather annoying. She likes to randomly run out of rooms and buildings when she's upset, which is a lot. Many of the characters p ...more
Peggy
Mar 29, 2010 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this YA book.It had a different twist to it....told in alternating first and third person by chapter.It is a combination of time travel fantasy, old fashion courting and modern day high relationships and extra-curicular activities.I liked the main character Amy and her willingness to go out of her comfort zone to try and improve herself and her willingness to be open to a new living situation and new high school.
Brooke Moss
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Again.....not a YA reader. Bought this one, because it's haunting storyline captured me at a book signing. And I wasn't disappointed. Heather has a bright future as an author. She is poigniant and emotional and is capable of making you believe in things that don't really exist.
Jessica Stacy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars
Author: Heather Davis
Genre: YA romance
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year of Publication: 2010

Main Character: Amy (I don’t recall her having a last name, actually.)
Secondary Characters: I liked the secondary characters well enough. They were all distinct and nicely developed.
Pacing: Average. It took a bit for the book to pull me in, but most are like that anyway.
Accuracy of Publisher’s Synopsis: Very accurate, except that the blurb on the copyright page states that Amy is sixt
Sleep Less, Read More
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book completely randomly, with no expectations, but even if I had some expectations this book would have far surpassed it! This realistic fantasy tale tells the story of Amy, who has recently moved in with her Aunt Mae and is looking to start fresh in a new town. She quickly meets Henry – a book that lives through the clearing behind her Aunt’s trailer. But there is something different about Henry: for him (and everything on his side of the clearing) it is still the year 1944 an ...more
  • House of Dance
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Between (Changeling's Choice, #1)
  • Invisible Things
  • My Life with the Lincolns
  • The Ruby Notebook (Notebook, #2)
  • Butterfly
  • Dracula vs. Grampa at the Monster Truck Spectacular (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #1)
  • Keeping Merminia (Merminia, #2)
  • Everlasting (Everlasting, #1)
  • The Dreamwalker's Child
  • Faithful (Faithful, #1)
  • The River
  • The Locket
  • Grace
  • Wildwing
  • Forget-Her-Nots
  • Two Moon Princess (Two Moon Princess, #1)
Heather Davis is the author of A Curse So Dark, the first book of the new Young Adult Paranormal Romance series Pioneer Falls.

Her previous books include Never Cry Werewolf and its two novella sequels, Sometimes by Moonlight and Always in Shadow. She is also the author of Wherever You Go, and the RITA Award finalist for Best Young Adult Romance, The Clearing.

Heather loves writing about strong, sm
More about Heather Davis

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Time is one thing you should pay attention to. One day, you'll find there's never enough of it.” 36 likes
“No boy ever makes you special. You just are. Understand?” 14 likes