Start by marking “The ABC Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13)” as Want to Read:
The ABC Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13)

The ABC Murders

(Hercule Poirot #13)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  70,413 ratings  ·  2,999 reviews

There's a serial killer on the loose, bent on working his way though the alphabet. There seems little chance of the murderer being caught -- until her makes the crucial and vain mistake of challenging Hercule Poirot to frustrate his plans ...

Kindle Edition, Masterpiece Ed edition, 240 pages
Published December 15th 2003 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 6th 1936)

To ask other readers questions about The ABC Murders, please sign up.
Alexandra Of course you can! You may be confused about the characters appearances to some extent. However all you have to do to fix that problem, is look up a…moreOf course you can! You may be confused about the characters appearances to some extent. However all you have to do to fix that problem, is look up a quick description online. Christie does an excellent job of allowing to book to be picked up and read by a person who has no experience of the series. (less)
Louie You can purchase a copy online through another website/at a store or you can get it through the Library. Because you cannot read books on goodreads,…moreYou can purchase a copy online through another website/at a store or you can get it through the Library. Because you cannot read books on goodreads, you can only read about books, authors and reviews of books.(less)

Adina
Back when I had an Audible subscription I acquired 2 literature courses and one of them is called The Secrets of Great Mystery and Suspense Fiction. It is a history of the genre and its many ramifications. There are quite a few books mentioned and I am planning to read most of them as they appear in the lectures. Since Agatha Christie is one of the most important personalities in the history of Crime fiction (among Poe, Doyle, Hammett and Chandler) her works are extensively present in these lect ...more
Jason Koivu
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, detective
Agatha Christie is such a crafty devil that midway through a novel she might have you believing that YOU are the murderer!

Indeed, The ABC Murders uses slight-of-hand most deftly. Again, I was thrown off the scent of the real killer and was ready to blame others. I feel a bit foolish when she dangles bait in front of me, and although I guess it for what it is, I take it anyway. And yet, if ever it felt good to be played the fool, it's while reading a cracking good mystery.

Ah, but never fear, Her
Ahmad Sharabiani
The A.B.C. Murders, Agatha Christie
The A.B.C. Murders is a work of detective fiction by British writer Agatha Christie, featuring her characters Hercule Poirot, Arthur Hastings and Chief Inspector Japp, as they contend with a series of killings by a mysterious murderer known only as "A.B.C.". The book was first published in the UK by the Collins Crime Club on 6 January 1936. The form of the novel is unusual, combining first-person narrative and third-person narrative. This approach was famously
Valerie
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Geometry Students
Recommended to Valerie by: Grandma
Shelves: math
I try to get my math students to read mysteries, because the logical skills of finding a pattern and using inductive and deductive reasoning are often skillfully laid out. If you've read this book, you know why its one that I use to illustrate that point in my class. Sadly, the point is underappreciated by my high school students.
Ginger
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
The book starts off with a methodical, serial killer sending Hercule Poirot a letter of a future murder! Did a person just die and how do they find the victim?

Enter the mind of the great Agatha Christie.

I loved that Agatha Christie went in a completely new direction with this plot. She usually does a singular murder, not a manhunt on stopping a serial killer.

The last part of the book made this a 4-star book for me!
It was lagging in the middle for me. I didn’t think the serial killer was who we w
Vikas Singh
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most engrossing Poirot stories. It has a great beginning and as the plot progresses you stay glued trying to make a sense of it all. Tantalizingly, clues are scattered loosely to off track you. And then finally with a flourish Poirot reveals the murderer you are left gaping at the cleverness of author in steering such a plot. I loved Poirot's quote at the end ' … but for myself I consider your crime not an English crime at all- not above board- not sporting'
Richard Derus
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
My review of the actual story is over here: Murder-Go-Round: Thirteen at Dinner, The A.B.C. Murders, Funerals are Fatal

SO DON'T ANYONE SNARK AT ME ABOUT THIS POST. I'LL DELETE YOUR POST IMMEDIATELY.

There's yet another unnecessary, unwanted remake of this book into a 3-part miniseries being made; John Malkovich will appear as Poirot, which is as ludicrous as that Brannagh dude and his mustachios appearing in the unnecessary, unwanted remake of Murder on the Orient Express that carbuncled itself o
Shobhit Sharad
Agatha Christie is a WITCH! I don't know how but she manages to confound me EVERY TIME I read one of her books. Specially, with this one. You're going with the story, reading with a flow, building up to the climax, and then suddenly whatever you were thinking is snatched away from you, and you begin to look at the things in a way that you never thought of until now.

And to do her justice, not only was this story (and any of her others) thrilling, but it had an element of reality better than most
Aditi
“Our weapon is our knowledge. But remember, it may be a knowledge we may not know that we possess.”

----Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie, the Queen of Mystery, has spun and extremely intriguing crime fiction and the thirteenth tale from her Hercule Poirot series called, The A.B.C. Murders that revolves around the anonymous letters stating as well as challenging Poirot that a murder will take place in the alphabetical order in a random town, and that intrigues the clever Poirot to come out of his
zahra haji
..هذه الرواية مختلفة بكل تفاصيلها من طريقة القتل لصعوبة معرفة القاتل للنهاية الصادمة
وستنضم لتلك الجرائم التي لن انساها مهما مرت الأعوام ( جريمة في قطار الشرق
( ثم لم يبقى أحد ..مقتل روجر أكرويد
تدور الرواية حول القاتل "اي بي سي" والذي يختار ضحاياه تبعا لتسلسل أحرف الأبجدية
"وعلى غرار القاتل الشهير " جاك السفاح " الذي روع مدينة لندن ,يرسل "اي بي سي
قبل تنفيذ جريمته رسالة فيها مكان وتاريخ وقوع الجريمة للمحق الشهير بوارو
الرسائل المستفزة والمحيرة لبوارو تكون السبب بإيقاد خلاياه الرمادية أكثر وأكثر
و
Brenda
Was the killer working his way through the alphabet? That’s what M. Hercule Poirot wanted to know. And his offsider Captain Hastings was of the same mind.

Andover and the elderly Mrs Ascher; Bexhill and a young Miss Betty Barnard and Churston and a gentleman by the name of Sir Carmichael Clarke had all met untimely deaths at the hands of a maniac who would leave the ABC Railway guide near to or on the body, showing each destination as proof he was once again bettering the police, but especially M
Jay Schutt
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
What genius Agatha Christie is! To lead us all around, this way and that, just to tie a murder mystery up in a neat little bow. Excellent!
Miriam
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
These alphabetical serial murders are a bit different from the usual Christie crimes -- or ARE they?

For once I solved the murder before the end. My little gray cells must be working harder...or I've simply read enough of these stories to be a better guesser.
Beata
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best HP cases.
Amy | shoutame
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Agatha Christie is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors and definitely a go-to author for when I fancy a quick pick-me-up!

This novel is the 13th book in the Hercule Poirot series, I am reading them out of order as I'm just grabbing them from my library's e-book collection when they become available - although I don't think it matters too much if you read them slightly out of order!

- This novel follows Poirot as he endeavours to solve a series of mysterious murders. After receiving an ano
Poonam

Even though this book belongs to the Poirot series it is very different to the other Poirot books. Most of the books in this series belong to the cozy mystery genre and the only other time I have read Christie attempt something different in the Poirot series was in The Big Four. That was not something I enjoyed but relieved to say I actually enjoyed this attempt.

In this the murderer sends letters to Poirot himself issuing a challenge. Reminded me of the infamous Zodiac Killer.

The whole
Tim
This is without a doubt one of the most enjoyable of the Poirot novels. Christie takes the usual formula and puts a bit of a different spin on it, creating one of her most compelling stories as well as one of the most unique.

Prior to this novel, all of Poirot’s cases have been of a more “intimate” nature (Poirot’s own words). They’ve all been classic locked room mysteries where we had all our suspects lined in a row. It was all a mater of finding motive and opportunity. Here Poirot is dealing w
Noha Badawi
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I get it now why people call her, the queen of crime
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
“There is nothing so terrible as to live in an atmosphere of suspicion - to see eyes watching you and the love in them changing to fear - nothing so terrible as to suspect those near and dear to you - It is poisonous - a miasma.”

Hercule Poirot gets a few surprises – his old friend Hastings has come for an extended stay and visit, and a serial killer has decided to target him with teasing notes before he strikes.

As always, clever. The point of this one was the journey and not the destination/cu
Renata
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Between loving the recent movie Murder in the Orient Express and reading Anthony Horowitz’s Magpie Murders, I am once again enthralled by Agatha Christie’s mysteries.

I’m still smiling and feeling as smugly satisfied as Hercule himself at the way she thoroughly captivated me on so many levels in The A.B.C. Murders. A plot that felt comfortably yet intriguingly straight forward was anything but and I found myself muttering aloud several times until I exploded in laughter at her pulling the rug ou
Mitch
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Before I begin my review, let me start off my saying I am a HUGE fan of Agatha Christie. Throughout the years I have always used her novels as "go to" books if I am in a literary dry spell and yearn to read something I am guarentee to enjoy. My girl Aggie usually hits the spot! However, sadly, I must say that "The A.B.C. Murders" is thus far my least favourite of all her books.

The following may contain spoilers:

Poirot, everyone's favourite detective, receives a mysterious letter warning him of
Piyangie
In The ABC Murders Poirot is challenged by a serial killer, or it seems to be the case. The murderer is so bold that he even informs Poirot in advance where the murder is to take place. Moreover, the murderer chooses the place and the victim in alphabetical order.

Written as a first person and third person narrative by Arthur Hastings, the story marks a different writing approach by Agatha Christie. From the outset, the story presents us with a possible killer. There is no evidence but only su
Taylor
Even though The ABC Murders was entertaining, I was slightly underwhelmed.

It's strange, since Murder on the Orient Express impressed me so much. I had a blast reading it last year, and I knew immediately after finishing that I wasn't done with Hercule Poirot's mysteries.

Sadly, this book was only just alright to me. The mystery was intriguing, but I found the overall reveal to be slightly underwhelming. It was...sort of predictable? Poirot's charm was one of the aspects of this book that really k
B
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trước khi 2 chương cuối cùng mở ra, cảm giác của mình là hoàn toàn không thỏa mãn :3
Tính tới thời điểm đó thì mình thấy 1 sự may mắn ngập tràn dành cho những người thuộc team phá án. Mình mong chờ việc ông Poirot sử dụng 1 chút chất xám như thường lệ, cùng với sự trợ giúp đắc lực về mặt chân tay của đội quân nhí nhố Scotland Yard, để bắt tận tay day tận trán gã nhân vật X đó. Ở đây, vào 1 ngày đẹp trời, nhân dạng và nơi chốn cư trú của gã bỗng "ngã vào vòng tay" của cảnh sát. Và cũng ở cái ngày
imts
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone with a penchant for mystery
"Words, madmoiselle, are only the outer clothing of ideas."

Agatha Christie isn't called the Queen of Crime for nothing, you know, and this book was a prime example of her proficiency. Generally, her books have an array of suspects, and we readers have to guess who the culprit is before the ending arrives, but this book was quite different. How, might you ask? You see, this time Christie handed us the murderer (view spoiler) on a silver platter. Most of the myster
Dina
Jim
"Let us see, Mr. Clever Poirot, just how clever you can be."

This is the 13th novel in the Hercule Poirot series and, I believe, is Agatha Christie at her prime. Some of the best Hercule Poirot stories (IMHO) are those in which Poirot's friend Captain Arthur Hastings appears and acts as narrator. One of the unusual aspects of this story is that it is told in both the first and third person narrative. And the third person narrative is reconstructed by the first person (Hastings).

The story opens w
Wasee
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
বই বিষয়ে বলার আগে, আগাথা করিসটির সমপরকে কিছু কথা বলে নেই। রহসয,রোমাঞচ,করাইম থরিলার,গোয়েনদা কাহিনী, মারডার মিসটরি - আমার পড়া বেশিরভাগ বই-ই এই ঘরানার ভেতর আবদধ। সবাভাবিক কারণেই নানান রকম গোয়েনদা চরিতরের সাথে পরিচিত হয়েছি, একটু একটু করে উপলবধি করেছি লেখকভেদে কীভাবে রহসযের গাথুনীর বহুমাতরিকতা দেখা যায়। বিভিনন দেশের,বিভিনন কালের, বিভিনন বয়সী কালপনিক গোয়েনদা চরিতরগুলো আমাদের মনে বাসতবের চেয়েও বেশী পরভাব ফেলে। তবে, দিনের শেষে নিরদিষট কোনো চরিতর ঠিকই মনে দাগ কেটে যায়।

শারলক হোমস আর এরকুল পোয়ারোর ভেতর বে
Stephanie Anze
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
Hercule Poirot receives a letter which warns about a murder to take place in a named town on a set date and signed only as ABC. The police think it a hoax and pay little mind to it until a woman is murdered in that town on that same date. At the crime site, an A.B.C. Railroad Guide is left behind. The crime attracts very little attention until a second letter arrives for Poirot, a second crime is committed and the railroad guide is left behind once again. This serial killer is working their way ...more
David Schaafsma
“Who are you? You don't belong to the police?'

“I am better than the police,” said Poirot. He said it without conscious arrogance. It was, to him, a simple statement of fact.

Poirot #13 is one I had read many years ago, but am re-reading anyway, since I am not reading them all in order.

In this one Christie creates an idea followed by hundreds of others in different ways: Having a killer use the alphabet to associate with his killings--Mrs. Ascher in Andover, then Betty Barnhard in Bexhill, and so
Crime, Mysteries ...: The A.B.C. Murders 9 22 Oct 29, 2018 07:45AM
2018-2019 Reading...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The ABC Murders 31 211 Aug 30, 2018 03:25AM
Printable Calendar 1 6 Jun 22, 2018 10:06PM
Could You Guess Who Done it??? Was it one of Christie's best or not? 3 30 May 29, 2018 10:53AM
History: History Discussion 3 1 1 Mar 29, 2018 10:21PM
  • Death in Ecstasy (Roderick Alleyn, #4)
  • The Golden Spiders (Nero Wolfe, #22)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
  • Behold, Here's Poison (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway, #2)

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
“Words, madmoiselle, are only the outer clothing of ideas.” 181 likes
“It's like all those quiet people, when they do lose their tempers they lose them with a vengeance.” 134 likes