Start by marking “The War of the Dwarves (The Dwarves, #2)” as Want to Read:
The War of the Dwarves (The Dwarves, #2)

The War of the Dwarves

(Die Zwerge #2)

The dwarves have gone to battle and they have been victorious. But outside the realm, dark forces are at work.. .

A secret army of Orcs, made immortal by the hidden powers of the Black Water, now marches towards Girdlegard, set to unleash its fury upon the kingdom. Sooner than they realize, Tungdil and his comrades will need to summon all their courage to do battle against
Published March 23rd 2010 by Orbit (first published October 31st 2004)

Start your review of The War of the Dwarves (The Dwarves, #2)
Bart Van Loon
My experience with the sequel to the Dwarves is similar as with its predecessor: nice story in a nice world, but too straightforward and just too simple. Characters are still the caricatures of themselves (especially Ireheart and Rodario) which is quite funny, but doesn't do the story justice. Also, Girdlegard and its history deserve much more attention in my opinion. Finally, the (few) moral dilemma's of the characters in the book are not investigated in depth.

So, in general I like the world, t
Kaohlir
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: modern-fantasy
In an unorthodox move by myself, I will give The War of the Dwarves a short-review in comparisson to other fiction I have rated, which frankly is all it is worthy of.

Synopsis and generic summary
Your traditional Tolkien-esque yarn, with characters not cliched, but certainly typical of the more traditional-beginning`s of the Fantasy genre. The framework of the Characters seem stripped from those of The Lord of the Rings, without the piercing seriousness of the Silmarilion, or the contemptous, c
Mitchel Smith
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Completely enjoyed it. Recommend it to anyone that enjoys colorful characters.
Mark
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another home run Mr. Heitz you continue to sate my appetite for destruction and story. Tungdil and friends return in this epic. I like how there is more conflict added within the main character to keep the story interesting. And an in depth view on the thirdlings and how tungdil truly is unique. Tungdil continues to be the leader we know he can be. I am overly excited to read the third book and will be buying the 3rd on release day.
Indigo Hannon-Moonstone
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More wonderful fantasy schlock. this will not further the progress of mankind, but it is fun and has interesting world-building.
L.C. Conn
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Loved it just as much as the first.
Jimmy
May 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, crap
Chris
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dwarf Lovers Rejoice!

A second fantastic volume in the Dwarves saga. Heitz does a great job balancing multiple storylines to bring all to a satisfying conclusion. Consistent,relatable characters, intricate, surprising plot twists, and fantastic action: anxious to dive into volume three!
Jaclyn
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying this series but lets be real, these books aren't the height of literature. I originally attributed the simple writing to the translation but I think all the blame can't be placed there. The characters are cartoonish, the story is cliche, but sometimes you just want to read some fun simple stuff, right? I do most of my reading on the subway--distractions everywhere--and find I enjoy lighter reading on the commute. The setting is probably the most interesting part of these. Heitz has ...more
Miriam Cihodariu
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: germany
The saga of the dwarves continued with this second volume in the series and it didn't disappoint me one bit, as some second volumes tend to do after an initial wow. The threat was credible, and the characters we knew and grew attached to are more mature, conflicted and nuanced, without the whole thing turning into a psychological novel first and foremost. For a fantasy series, it reads wonderfully and it's so well dosed and delivered that it's sure to become a classic.
Nar Meg
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the biggest "FUCK YEAH" moments in my life came from this book. Filled with humor, drama and of course action the "war of the Dwarves" was very satisfying.
Long live the children of the smith.
Tony
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, i-own-it, dwarves
This book is fooking amazing.

Buy it.
Mel Curtis
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as good as the first!!! Love these sort of books that make your imagination go wild. Love it Love it Love it.
Dave
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There havent been many books that reduce me to tears. I bawled over the loss of a dear friend. I love this series and cant say enough good things about it.
Pietrisycamollaviadelrechiotemexity
Not going to rate this because I feel like it wouldn't be fair ... I dont like this kind of high fantasy... due to its ...talkative manner...
I couldn't follow what was going on during the audiobook and I honestly dont know if it was the writing or my lack of intest.
I really disliked the fact that the book covered such a long period of time (which also could be a reason for me not Being abled to follow the plot...or keep intrest) so that all the romance drama took part in this one book...
I'll c
Ross Thompson
The follow-up to the first Dwarves book sees the dwarves again join forces with the humans and now join forces with their age old enemies the elves to battle against a new source of evil.

There is a lot packed into this book with a number of stand-offs against the evil thirdling dwarves, the evil elves and an invading force from the Outer Lands.

For me at times it felt like the story was being made up on the spot with the overarching plot changing a number of times to suit the author's mood. At o
Brian
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is great. The writing is "eh" probably because it's a translation.

I love the characters of this book and the ideas behind the world that Heitz creates. However, things do have a tendency to just... happen. It's like most stories in that you know X, Y, and Z are events that have to take place, but usually the author fleshes out the struggle to accomplish it. In War of the Dwarves (and in the Dwarves, really) the actual struggles and climax points are brief and overly simple. I don't kno
David
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
Nice thing is - it is a long book so value for money. Overall, it's entertaining but not a page-turner. Unlike some books, I didn't find myself compelled to read late into the night. The characters are good generally but there are times when they are a little too comical. You do want the central hero, Tungdil, to do well and he does. There are some nice twists to keep the story from being too straightforward, but they are fairly predictable. Telling the tale from the dwarves viewpoint is nice an ...more
Anna
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good, nearly as good as the first one! Loved following along with Tungdil and his friends in the fight to save thier world. Many surprises happened along the way I was NOT expecting! Great book!
Becky
Apr 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
VERY SLIGHT SPOILERS

Oh dear. This is a case of a book being one I really wanted to like with its potential utterly failing to be realised, and which I was hating by the end.

I read the first Dwarves book and although it was flawed and had many of the same problems, I at least found it entertaining. This one however is a huge mess almost from start to finish. The storytelling is really disjointed, the pacing is awful and I had almost no empathy with the characters, who are killed off at a remarkab
Daydreamer
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Rating:5/5 stars

Synopsis:
After the fight against Nodonn, Tungdil and his friends are ready to return home. But soon they realise that some of his words might’ve been true and that they need to fight yet another enemy.

My thoughts:
I liked the twists in the story, keeping it tense and making you read on. I especially liked that, even though some are now partners, they’re still fighting for their own ideals, even if it means going behind the others back. The end was bittersweet and super emotional,
TK Fretresé
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Overall, I definitely enjoyed reading this book! Although I highly enjoyed the first book in the series more, The Dwarves, the second book had a good story and an exciting ending. It took me some time to get into things, but I stuck with it, and found myself really getting into the story about 300+ pages in. Then I was hooked and had to keep reading, wondering how the story would end! Just like the first book, the ending was a real page turner for me. I found myself staying up late (knowing that ...more
Jon Owojori Fernandez
An improved book from the last, making for an easier and more interesting read. The writing was better, though the translated dialogue is still stilted in places. The introduction of the Freeling dwarf kingdom and the challenges that provided was a breath of fresh air to a stereotypical dwarf world and added a good dynamic to the book. However, certain emotional moments lacked... well... emotion. The characters seemed to move on very quickly from other character deaths which, even in situations ...more
Peter Greenwell
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 3½ star effort but I'm marking it up because it's so over the top. This is one roller-coaster ride that swings and lurches from war to disaster to awkward romance and derring-do and back again. I don't think the author really stopped and had a look what he wrote, as there's major inconsistencies and continuity issues throughout, but that's trumped by the audacity of the whole thing.

One flaw I do find in this novel (and the one before it) is that the characters' motivation is primarily one of
Annie (Putt)
DNFed on page 260.

First book had high stakes and a fast plot. This one was less believable. The plot was too predictable, too much stupid drama, and too many instances of things not adding up. Characters appeared on page while it was mentioned they were supposed to be elsewhere or not there at all, the number of people in a settlement/area constantly fluctuated without any indication how and why that was happening, and multiple instances of main characters being surrounded by unnamed characters
Welther
Feb 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing really bad about this book, but it's written in a simple, language friendly way catering to 10-15 year olds. It's not the big things, but a lot of little things that makes it rather boring and unsatisfying to a more mature reader.
I won't bother with a longer review, but the one word that comes to mind is "childish"; with that I'm referring to everything about the book - the plot, subplots, characters, villains, language use.

I wouldn't have finished this book if I didn't have som
Steven Nowak
Another great read by Markus Heitz.

I will be honest , its wasnt as good as the first book. I would have given it 4 stars but I found the first 6 chapters very long and drawn out. They wernt bad chapters, they just seemed more like a long love story to me. The last few chapter however, were very exciting! The ending was emotional. If the first 6 chapters were like the last few it may have even been close to a 5 star. Definitely worth a read. Just push through the first six chapters. Trust me the
Daniel D.
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Follow the track of Tungdil the hero of Girdlegard through a new path of epic adventures misleading adversaries and solving the mysteries of his birth.
This story expand the dwarves universe with reclusive rebels, dangerous dwarf killers and demigods that threat the life of all creatures in the realm.
Easy to read, with a lot of high pitched cinematic, comedy relieves and emotional roller coasters in the life and dead of Markus Heitz's dwarves.
FrankReads
Fantasy
A threat emerges from the East that can wipe out the kingdom as a whole. Can an allied force stay together and vanquish the mysterious foe.

Review
This was a fun read, but for the first half of the novel the epic actions beats are too many. These beats made me feel that I could stop reading at any time.
The ending was a bit too duex ex machina for my taste, but the main characters as a whole kept the read entertaining.
Hollyberye
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is light reading, easy to follow, despite seeming complexities and twists. The fact that it was so long and I didn't grow weary of it/stayed interested, gave me cause to rate it four stars rather than three. I was more interested in Tungdil's emotional struggles and love interests than the endless gory battles. I was also very intrigued by the half-elf. I was happy with the resolution of some plot elements, but not at all with others. This is quite well narrated!

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Die Trolle (Die Trolle, #1)
  • The Elven (The Saga of the Elven, #1)
  • Orcs (Orcs: First Blood, #1-3)
  • The Demon Awakens (Corona: The DemonWars Saga, #1)
  • Elfenwinter (Die Elfen, #2)
  • The Swarm
  • Nachtland (Die Seiten der Welt, #2)
  • Die Schlacht der Trolle (Die Trolle, #2)
  • Der Zorn der Trolle (Die Trolle, #3)
  • Saving Mr. K: A Montague & Strong Detective Story
  • Helix: Sie werden uns ersetzen
  • Inside Straight (Bite Back, #6)
  • Change of Regime (Bite Back, #5.5)
  • The Biting Cold (Bite Back: Outsiders #1)
  • The Siberian Incident
  • Winter's Kiss: An Athanate Novella (Bite Back: Outsiders Book 2)
  • The Harvest of Lies: An Athanate Novel of Nineteenth Century Saigon (Bian's Tale Book 1)
  • Der Krieg der Trolle (Die Trolle, #4)
Markus Heitz is a German fantasy, horror and science fiction author, most famous for his five-book Dwarves saga.

Markus Heitz was born in Homburg in 1971. He studied history, literature, and the German language. He now lives in the town of Zweibrücken.

Die Zwerge (5 books)
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
  • Die Rache der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #3)
  • Das Schicksal der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #4)
  • Der Triumph der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #5)

News & Interviews