Start by marking “Just Take My Heart” as Want to Read:
Just Take My Heart

Just Take My Heart

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  8,990 Ratings  ·  1,015 Reviews
IN WORLDWIDE BESTSELLING SUSPENSE WRITER MARY HIGGINS CLARK’S SPELLBINDING NEW THRILLER, A BROADWAY STAR’S MURDER IGNITES A SHOCKING SERIES OF DEADLY EVENTS. . . .

After famous actress Natalie Raines is found in her home, dying from a gunshot wound, police immediately suspect her theatrical agent and jealous soon-to-be-ex-husband, Gregg Aldrich. But no charges are brought

Published March 23rd 2010 by Pocket Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Just Take My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Take My Heart

Amy
May 14, 2009 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so Mary Higgins Clark has been my all-time favorite author practically my whole reading lifetime. I would stay up all night reading her latest book and then re-read all of her old ones. I guess, all of my goodread friends and all your great recommendations for books that I've been reading has put a little damper on poor Mary Higgins... her books just pale in comparison. I will admit that I did stay up late to finish it, but it was pretty predictable and way too cheesy (I know, you would ne ...more
Ana M. Román
Jan 18, 2016 Ana M. Román rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro tiene más un componente psicológico que de suspense, con esto no quiero decir que el suspense no está ahí, que lo está, pero realmente no hace verdaderamente su aparición hasta muy hacia el final puesto que desde el principio sabemos que Gregg no es el asesino aunque no tenemos ninguna pista que nos pueda llevar hasta el verdadero culpable.

Digo que tiene un fuerte componente psicológico porque vemos como se siente la protagonista mientras hace su trabajo de fiscal como se extenúa y l
Tammie
Just Take My Heart was slow to get going and the trial took up the first half. I don't really like reading long drawn out trials. Also this book is full of coincidences, just unbelievably full of them. There is the heart transplant; the prosecutor knowing the killer; the delivery man who just happened to both meet the guy on trial for murder and make a delivery to his apartment; Natalie who just happens to meet the killer of her roommate from many years earlier, and even recognizes him from a sm ...more
Sally
Apr 29, 2009 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense-mystery
I really enjoyed reading this book. I found this to be a little different from her other mystery novels, and I have read all of them.

In this one, Emily Wallace is a prosecutor trying a man for murder but is fighting with her inner feelings of his innocence. Her star witness is not exactly credible. What would you do if you were facing 10 years jail time? She is also a heart transplant patient and a war widow. Lives by herself in a small, New Jersey town next to an older man who she is not exactl
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Γνώρισα την Mary Higgins-Clark μέσα από το βιβλίο της "Ένοχη νύχτα", που για κάποιον παράλογο λόγο είχε κυκλοφορήσει στη Χρυσή Σειρά των εκδόσεων Μεταίχμιο, μια επιλογή μάλλον ατυχής αφού, στην πραγματικότητα, η εν λόγω συγγραφέας ασχολείται με την συγγραφή μυθιστορημάτων που τείνουν περισσότερο στην αστυνομική κατηγορία, παρά σε οποιαδήποτε άλλη. Ως εκ τούτου, η προαναφερόμενη επιλογή του εκδοτικού, με είχε επηρεάσει -λανθασμένα- και περίμενα να διαβάσω κάτι διαφορετικό από αυτό που τελικά ήταν ...more
Cata
May 09, 2013 Cata rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblioteca, 2013
Do Fundo do Coração é o segundo livro que leio de MHG e graças a Deus que assim é... ou teria ficado seriamente traumatizada.

O livro tem uma capa muito apelativa e uma sinopse promissora...mas não foi nada do que estava à espera. Para começar 95% do livro está relacionado com o julgamento, o que me proporcionou uma leitura entediante [não gosto nada deste tema]

Os restantes 5% foram a grande razão porque o li até ao fim: a verdadeira identidade do assassino e o vizinho psicopata/assassino em séri
Erica T
Pretty much a typical Mary Higgins Clark book. I never quite have them all figured out, and that was true with this one too. It was a fun, easy read, and I love that her books are always clean reads.
Li'l Owl
And the Queen of Suspense does it again! Exciting, page turning book! I loved this story, and what a twist at the end! Read it in one sitting! Wow!
Siobhan
If I’m completely honest I’m not quite sure where I sit with this author. I enjoy her books as quick reads yet at the same time I feel as though I do not enjoy them quite as much as I enjoy other books in the genre. In fact, they only just make the four star rating (and I think that is because I’m a little bit too nice when handing out my ratings).

With this one I felt as though the large majority of the book focused upon what occurred in the court. I know this was necessary for all of the inform
Amy (amyb2332)
Suzanne
Jun 06, 2016 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read Clark's books in a long time.

What would you do if your best friend was murdered? Fast forward 20 years later. The survivor was a great actress and yet, she was murdered. Did the same person commit a crime again?

Enter the proscecutor. Did she put the wrong person in jail?

This was an ok read; not the best. It piqued my interest in spots; just not enough to keep me up at night to finish it.
Ginger
Oct 27, 2016 Ginger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Fans
I haven't read anything by this author in years, and I'm so glad I grabbed this off my bookshelf. This book pulled me in from the first few pages. I kept guessing who murdered Natalie, going back and forth between this person and that one. I never figured out "whodunnit " until the author revealed it. I love when that happens!
Sherri Smith
Feb 01, 2017 Sherri Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an EXCELLENT read! Although I guessed a few things that would happen within the story, others kept me guessing to the end. I highly recommend this wonderful MHC read!! I RARELY give "5 stars" but felt this one earned it.
Gary Butler
Jan 10, 2017 Gary Butler rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
9th book read in 2017.

Number 513 out of 574 on my all time book list.

Review Pending:
Laurel-Rain
Apr 12, 2009 Laurel-Rain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actress Natalie Raines flees to her Cape Cod vacation home – to think and to escape the fear that whoever killed her friend Jamie years ago has just reappeared in her life. Someone whose picture she has seen, but which was missing from Jamie’s wallet when the body was found all those years ago.

Estranged spouse Gregg Aldrich has been persistent in his efforts to persuade Natalie to reconcile. Almost to the point that he is “stalking” her.

Returning to her New Jersey home, Natalie is accosted and s
I've been reading Clark's books for 15 years now, since age 11, and I have to say I have finally managed to completely guess the outcome of one of her books. That doesn't mean I didn't utterly love it, though. It was a different form, more or less, from other of her novels, but enjoyable nonetheless. Figuring it out may have just been a matter of becoming better at spotting Clark's hints, but I generally don't try to expend much effort in guessing anyway - a book loses its entertainment value if ...more
Karen & Gerard
WOW! Just Take My Heart by Mary Higgins Clark is full of suspense and true-to-life characters. It’s a murder mystery because although the husband, Greg Aldrich, is on trial for killing his wife, Natalie, he claims he didn’t do it. It is a high profile case that is discussed every evening on the show, “Courtside” which is hosted by Greg’s best friend.

Emily, the prosecuting attorney, goes after a conviction even though she has some doubt about the defendant’s guilt. She has a soft spot for him wh
Annie
Mary Higgins Clark books will always remind me of my grandma. Whenever a new book she writes is released my Gram will purchase it. I love it. Her bookcase downstairs is filled with every single novel, I daresay, Clark has written. Also for as long as I can remember, my Gram is always gracious enough to let my sisters, aunt and I borrow it. This was the case with Just Take My Heart. Like most Higgins Clark mystery/thrillers, this was a light quick read. A famous actress, in the midst of a divorce ...more
 Marla
First Mary Higgins Clark book that I have read since I read Where Are the Children? and others back in high school. It was a little predictable in spots, but I liked the 2 story lines and the characters of prosecutor, Emily Wallace and accused agent/husband, Gregg Aldrich.

I liked the TV shows in the book. Court Side and the host, Mark, Matt or Mike, who was Gregg Aldrich's friend. And her neighbor likes to watch Fugitive Hunt.

I expected more about the heart transplant after the initial teaser a
Kim Dennis
Jun 11, 2016 Kim Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
It has been probably 3 years since I have read a Mary Higgins Clark book. There's a reason for that... after listening roughly an hour, I figured out who the killer was. Granted, she did make me question myself about 1/2 hour before the end of the book, but I was right all along. I've read enough of her books that they are somewhat predictable. I was also somewhat disappointed at the end. There was a fair bit of foreshadowing about something and I was right about that too. However, for the amoun ...more
Natalie
This was another Mary Higgins Clark book I picked up on CD and listened to while working around the house. This is something I've come to love doing as it often gets me to do projects I really don't want to do (de-cluttering, folding laundry etc.) I like Mary Higgins Clark, but I do have to take her books in moderation. I guessed fairly early on who the bad guy was, and there were very few surprises (though how the whole thing went down in the end was unexpected, even if all the players were exp ...more
Ruth
May 23, 2010 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily is an assistant district attorney who is amazed when her boss gives her a very high profile case to try. A prisoner has given information about the man that she is trying for murder in exchange for a decrease in his prison sentence. He is a real low life but he describes the squeaking drawer in the mans living room that he couldn't know about if he hadn't been there. Will the jury believe him? Will Emily get her guilty verdict? This book keeps you turning the pages to find out what happens ...more
Rosemary
Oct 31, 2009 Rosemary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of Mary Higgins Clark's books and it was a nice surprise to find her latest on the shelf at the library and that I hadn't read this one yet. Mary and her daughter came to my school to speak in April, sponsored by the country library system, and because I ushered, I got to sit on the front row. It was nice to hear how they do their writing, both separately and together.

I usually get through her books quickly, because I can't put them down. And, once again, I couldn't figure out w
Robin
Typical Mary Higgins Clark. I had not read her in years, but it was given to me by a friend. It just seemed to have too much in it. I was happy with the original story line of a prosecuter trying the actresses husband for her murder. The courtroom drama was going great, then a serial killer was thrown in as the prosecuter's neighbor. Thas sort of lost me for a minute. On top of that there was mentioned the heart transplant that she had had. You find out that the heart was donated by ... you gues ...more
Linda
Apr 23, 2009 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: previous -
Shelves: chcpl
Typical Mary Higgins Clark concerning attractive people in the NYC area who find their lives intertwined with a murder at the center. Three separate murders, but four mysteries are "at the heart" of this book. A man's actress wife is murdered. He is the main suspect. The county prosecutor assigns the case to a young, attractive woman with a tragic past. Throw in a completely separate serial killer who picks his neighbor, the prosecutor as his next victim. A quick read. Brain candy.
Jan
May 13, 2010 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solidly entertaining tale by MHC. Famous Broadway star Natalie Raines is murdered and assistant NYC prosecutor Emily Wallace is trying Natalie's estranged husband Gregg Aldrich for it. As the trial proceeds, Emily's confidence is shaken and, oh yeah, there is a creepy guy living next door to Emily and insinuating himself into her life.
Michele
Apr 21, 2009 Michele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-shelf
Ugh I like MHC but this was soooo slow and sooo boring. Plus I kept getting hung up on the awkward dialogue, both inner and between characters. It's just too forced and not believable! One the plus side I didn't figure out who the "bad guy" was until late in the game. That may not be saying much as I usually have a hard time figuring out who "dun" it anyway.
Rory
Dec 20, 2009 Rory rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sadists...or, um, fans
Shelves: gave-up-on
I "won" this is a white elephant book swap last week and I was DETERMINED to read the whole thing and write a hilarious or at least psuedo-serious three-paragraph review of it. But I just couldn't. I can't. I can't even tell you how bad it is. There's no way this book was even written...lobotomized, book-hating robot drones must have been involved.
Joyce
Apr 20, 2009 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Assistant DA in New Jersey is prosecuting a man for the murder of his wife. There is a serial killer living in hiding next door to her who is also stalking her. Is this complex enough to keep your interest? It was for me!
Jennie
Jun 01, 2013 Jennie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a long time fan of Mary Higgins Clark even though she does too much telling instead of showing and her endings are too abrupt and incomplete. Whatever technical shortcomings I see in her work I still find her an amazing storyteller and I always wind up totally absorbed in each of her books.
2015 Reading Chal...: Just Take My Heart by Mary Higgins Clark 2 8 Mar 09, 2015 06:20PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Just Take My Heart 1 2 Mar 23, 2012 01:01PM
  • Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914
  • Cursed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #12)
  • Dying for Mercy (KEY News #12)
Mary Higgins Clark, #1 international and New York Times bestselling author, is the author of 46 books and counting: she’s written thirty-three suspense novels; three collections of short stories; a historical novel, Mount Vernon Love Story; two children’s books, including The Magical Christmas Horse; and a memoir, Kitchen Privileges. She has also written five holiday suspense novels with Carol Hig ...more
More about Mary Higgins Clark...

“what she perceived to be his condescending” 0 likes