Start by marking “The Vault of Bones (Brother Petroc, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Vault of Bones (Brother Petroc, #2)

The Vault of Bones (Brother Petroc #2)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  101 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Who will own the greatest treasures of all...? In the darkness of 13th Century Europe, the most precious wonders of the Christian world lie in a small church in the great ruined city of Constantinople, the spoils of a failed Crusade. The crown of thorns, the spear that pierced Jesus' side, the shroud bearing the imprint of Christ - all lie in the mysterious Chapel of Pharo ...more
Published July 25th 2007 by Orion (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Vault of Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vault of Bones

Aileen
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although (according to goodreads) this took me 43 days to read, I really quite enjoyed it. The story is set between Italy & Constantinople during the 13th Century and follows Petroc an ex-novice monk on his quest to sell holy relics. This is really simplifying the story as it's full of murder & intrigue all set during a very interesting time in history. If you like CJ Sansom you'll definitely like this too.
Keith Currie
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another roller-coaster adventure story set in the Thirteenth Century, featuring the same relic hunters as the author's Relics. The fast moving narrative ranges from London to Rome to the ruins of Constantinople under the Franks and concludes in Venice. The story is delightfully complex with interesting characters in a fascinating period of history. Better, I think, than the first in the series: a meatier more plausible plot, very well done.
David
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. Quite a slow read but builds up very well. Characterisation is good and about right for the period. Set in the 13th century and between Italy and Constantinople. The plot moves along well and the setting seems real and matches the period. I can see folk giving up as it is a slow start - but that makes it quite enjoyable.
Margareth8537
Always like it when they get to Constantinople
Travelin
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: started
DNF, pg. 190

Per my updates , absolutely impressed by the choice of topics and quality of writing, but not its meandering speed.

Great material:
-- Focus on a kind of third-way, slightly libertarian, medieval religion, which was probably crushed by religions on all sides.
-- Comment that Romans considered the Coliseum haunted and they never visited at night.

Quotes:
"A boy's face, smooth and slack, as if the puppet-strings that life weaves behind our visages had not yet taken hold there."

"For a moment
David Stringer
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
The Vault of Bones is a follow up to 'Relics', which I unfortunately haven't read, and is about our lead character Petroc who is an ex-monk. The story involves the hunting of religious relics, from around Europe, which involves; Dignitaries like the Pope, various murders and mysterious priests.

In genre terms I guess this would be labelled as an historical thriller, however in my opinion the pacing is way too slow to be a real 'thriller' and as such it never maintained any excitement with me. I
Bryan Richard
What an exciting action-packed read. I enjoyed every page of it. In one sense it seemed slightly similar to Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code". Yet in so many other ways it was totally different. I would highly recommend this book.
Denise
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Medieval adventure/mystery read involving the attempt to sell holy relics and a lot of bloodshed.
Carol
Jul 11, 2012
Winnie
Mar 27, 2012
Pip grew up in South Devon. He studied medieval history at London University and later worked as a reader for a literary agency when he wasn't dabbling as a bike messenger, saxophonist, food critic, gardener and restaurant owner. He now lives in Vermont with his wife and children.
More about Pip Vaughan-Hughes...

Brother Petroc (4 books)
  • Relics (Brother Petroc, #1)
  • Painted in Blood (Brother Petroc, #3)
  • The Fools' Crusade (Brother Petroc, #4)