Start by marking “Around the World in 80 Days” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Around the World in 80 Days

(Extraordinary Voyages)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  160,138 ratings  ·  5,437 reviews
"To go around the world...in such a short time and with the means of transport currently available, was not only impossible, it was madness"

One ill-fated evening at the Reform Club, Phileas Fogg rashly bets his companions £20,000 that he can travel around the entire globe in just eighty days - and he is determined not to lose. Breaking the well-establised routine of his da
Published May 16th 2012 by Public Domain Books (first published 1873)

To ask other readers questions about Around the World in 80 Days, please sign up.
Sashia You can start with any one you want and it won't make a difference to your reading. I didn't even know they were considered a series.
Marinos 1873. You could also google it or, you know, read the description.

·  160,138 ratings  ·  5,437 reviews

James Lafayette Tivendale
"Truly, would you not for less than that make a tour around the world?"

This is the second Verne book I have devoured in two days which have both been accredited four-five stars. I could end the review at that and I would be content!

Similar to The Journey to the Centre of the Earth which I read yesterday - Verne creates amazingly awesome and complex characters. The main protagonist Mr. Fogg is an obsessive-compulsive routine loving timekeeper who bets his chums at the club that he can travel arou
Fabian
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well... So I do believe I saved a book's life. About to be tossed away, being a pariah of the garage sale variety, I not only took it home; I READ it. Aglow with endearing cliches, this is the source of plenty of adventure stories, many of which are films, comics, etc.

Verne's imagination is grand & the plot is silly and almost kid-like. But absurd it ain't. It is fun exactly because there is a topsy turvy madness to visiting places just to prove a point. It is fun because it is rife with in
Lisa
"Mum, could we travel the world in the same way that Phileas Fogg and Passepartout did?"

The question propels me back in time, about three decades. This was the first Jules Verne book I read. I carried it home in a heavy school bag, in the darkness after an winter afternoon in the public library. I was ten, and I had to fill my long evenings, which started at sun set around half past two. I still remember the smell of the book, picked from the "Classics for children" section, and how I opened it
Ahmad Sharabiani
848. Le tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours = Around The World in Eighty Days (Extraordinary Voyages #11), Jules Verne
Around the World in Eighty Days (French: Le tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours) is an adventure novel by the French writer Jules Verne, published in 1873. In the story, Phileas Fogg of London and his newly employed French valet Passepartout attempt to circumnavigate the world in 80 days by his friends at the Reform Club. It is one of Verne's most acclaimed works.
عنوانها: سیاحت
Nayra.Hassan
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
يومه محسوب بالدقائق🕛..و افعاله متوقعة لشهور بل و أعوام
فيلياس فوج ..متحذلقا ..دقيقا..غارقا في التفاصيل التي تضيع عليه بهجة الحياة
..ببالغ في نظامه و انضباطه حتى انه من المستحيل رؤيته عصبيا أو مغتاظا😠. .متوترا او متعجلا
فوج يبالغ في انفصاله عن الحياة و المجتمع ..يتبنى الاعتدال و المحدودية. .يتجنب المناقشات. .."لا الومه حقا" بل اني انبهر احيانا بهذا النمط و قدرته على الصمود ...لكني مندهشة من اختياره في منتصف القرن 18 ..الدنيا هى هي إذن

باختصار فيلياس فوج يتفادى بكل قوته ان يكون إنسانا..
و هذا يستفز
Lyn
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Around the World in Eighty Days was first published by Jules Verne in 1873, and was introduced to an adoring public as monthly installments.

Each chapter is thus seen as connected but with its own hooks and cliffhangers. The character of Phileas Fogg has become a stoic archetype for too cool operators in books to come in several genres.

This is fast moving and fun, still a good read over a hundred years later. One very interesting aspect of the narrative was the portrait of the American west in
Baba
1 I-hated-it-32-years-ago-and-still-hate-it star.

photo tumblr_inline_n9rbi1iLIR1qb3wyg_zpswi1fun8d.gif

photo tumblr_n5s7wb14Sp1rks5xoo1_500_zpsd6971541.gif

A couple days ago my son and I were talking about boring classroom reading material. This reminded me that I never rated this glorious piece of classic literature. How anyone would insist that students had to mandatorily read it in the 80s is beyond me, let alone in the 21st century. A couple years ago, when my son came home with that little paperback edition and whined about how incredibly uninteresting this "gem" is, I calmed him down by saying
Charity
May 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love grand adventures
Shelves: 1001books
I finished Around the World in 80 Days today and it was even better than I remembered from my childhood. Admittedly, the version I had read as a child was the Great Illustrated Classics edition that was, unfortunately, abridged. I felt that a reading of the unabridged classic was long overdue. Shockingly enough, I still remembered the ending 20 years later.

Just the task Phileas Fogg faces in traveling the world in 80 days (in the 19th century) and the obstacles that pop up to delay his travels w
Bradley
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-shelf, steampunk
The original steampunk adventure! Written while it was still called modern!

Fascinating! :)

Seriously, though... Jules Verne knows how to write a fast-paced adventure with French tomfoolery and English sprats. They're buckling down to show other multi-millionaires (price adjusted) what a *real* wager is, using nothing more than a very keen mind and a talent for reading multiple departures in the paper. (You had to be there. And you also have to enjoy a period piece, too!)

But that's not all, folks
David Sasaki
Jan 11, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Whether or not you've read the novel or watched the movie, Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days is so embedded in Western culture that just about everyone knows the basic plot premise: wealthy and reticent Englishman Phileas Fogg makes gentlemanly bet with his chums that he can travel around the world in 80 days and then sets off with his temperamental French servant to do just that.

The idea for the story came from the actual journey of eccentric Bostonian George Francis Train. (Who liked
Katie Lumsden
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
I really enjoyed this - a fun and interesting read, and more heartfelt than I expected. It's quite interesting to see a French take on 19th century Englishness, and a 19th century perspective on the world.
Archit Ojha
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own

Man! The best adventure work till date!

Review to follow.
Carmo
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bib, frança
Quando comecei a levar as leituras a sério, já havia adaptações televisivas das obras do Verne. Vistos os filmes não restou muita curiosidade para ler os livros. Foi pena, porque se os tivesse lido na adolescência tê-los-ia apreciado mais.
Júlio Verne é, certamente, das melhores apostas para incentivar alguém a aventurar-se no maravilhoso mundo das leituras.
Tem escrita simples mas bem estruturada, aventuras de tirar o fôlego mas sem exageros inverossímeis, personagens bem equilibradas, informaç
Sara Kamjou
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ممکن است فرصتی که به دنبالش هستیم در آخرین لحظه فرا برسد.
...
این کتاب دقیقا مصداق همین جمله ست که از خود کتاب نوشتم. حکایت بیم و امید با چاشنی تلاش در ماجراجوییهایی خونسردانه.
داستان شخصی که در پی یه شرطبندی تصمیم میگیره دور دنیا رو در هشتاد روز طی کنه و در این راه با معماها، اتفاقات جالب و اشارات فرهنگی مواجه میشیم.
شخصیت فیلیس فاگ واقعا برای من الهامبخش بود که چطوری در طول سفر و اتفاقات غیرمترقبه خونسردیش رو حفظ میکرد و جای کاسهی چه کنم چه کنم به دست گرفتن، به فکر و دنبال راهحلی بود.
گرچه پایانبن
Lea
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, fiction
This book brings so much childhood memories back. My dad just to read aloud and retell over and over again Jules Verne's stories and I'm so grateful for that. It ignited my passion for reading a long time ago, as I learned for the first time that I can travel around the world through books and stories, laying in the warm room.

I can still remember the vivid images of my imagination that I had as a child listening to this story and feelings will never fade, I still felt quite emotional rereading
Mark
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really neat story. It was a fun view into life about a century ago.

My only nit with it was with the particular audio book I heard: an annoying afterward that publisher felt he had to append. In it, he explained to us how Mr. Verne's views of other cultures are simply not acceptable to modern people such as ourselves, and although he has transgressed and used stereotypes of different cultures the book still has some value.

I found it unfair and unnecessary. Verne's depiction of different cultures
Hugo
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Phileas Fogg é um gentleman peculiar. Desafiando todas as probabilidades, aposta com os seus companheiros de whist no Reform Club de Londres que será capaz de dar a volta ao mundo em apenas 80 dias. A aposta não tem uma razão lógica aparente, talvez pretenda demonstrar apenas a qualidade da determinação e honra britânicas que o distinguem. Assim que são apresentadas as bases da aposta, Phileas Fogg e o seu recém-contratado criado, Passepartout, partem de imediato.
A Fogg não lhe interessam as pai
Dream.m
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
انقد سال از خوندنش گذشته که اصلن یادم نمیاد چجوری بود
ولی کارتونش رو خوب یادمه =))
Jason Koivu
Ah ha! So that's the reason for it being specifically 80 days! (view spoiler)
Miquel Reina
I'm a big fan of adventure and travel novels, so I couldn't stop recommending this wonderful and famous book by Jules Verne. After reading it, I'm sure you will want to make a great trip and took a year off to follow in the footsteps of Phileas Fogg! ;)

Spanish version:
Soy un gran fan de las novelas de aventuras y viajes, así que no podría dejar de recomendar este maravilloso libro de Julio Verne. Después de leerlo seguro que os entran una ganas enormes de hacer un gran viaje o tomaron un año sa
A Miuda Geek
Oct 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Um clássico de aventuras e que não gostei por aí além. Tem uma escrita fluida mas não me consegui ligar a personagem nenhuma e o sr. Philleas Fogg é um personagem muito aloof como dizem os britânicos. Nada o perturba, nada o incomoda e isso...incomodou-me.

Nada de mal mas também nada de especial - leu-se.
Apatt
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like five days for me really, though even that is too long for a 250 pages book. Well, it’s an audiobook and I only listened to it while commuting to work.

Yes, that is a silly intro but what I meant is that while listening to the book I often felt transported along with Phileas Fogg and crew. This is my first Jules Verne book, normally I prefer to read books in the original language they are written in because with translated books there is always an added layer between the translator and t
Fran Sobrido
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tal y como me imaginaba, me ha gustado mucho la historia. El punto fuerte de este libro no son sólo las aventuras de Phileas Fogg y compañía, sino también el hecho de que te vaya describiendo los diferentes puntos de la geografía con sus historias, culturas y tradiciones (sí que es verdad que lo hace de una forma muy somera en tanto que no se detienen prácticamente ningún tiempo en cada sitio). También te ayuda a imaginar cuáles eran los métodos de transporte más utilizados en estas travesias ya ...more
Kathryn
Feb 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: I "read" the audiobook version of this, narrated by the fabulous Jim Dale. I think this definitely added interest to the story, which did begin a bit dull, but ended splendidly! Dale is REMARKABLE at the characterization and voices and I think this tale is especially well suited to being read aloud by someone who can do all the accents! ;-> This version also sometimes plays music in the background, suited to the setting/culture and that was a nice touch and helped set the right tone.

4.5
Laura لاورا
Ottanta giorni… meno uno !

Un titolo che non ha certo bisogno di presentazioni, questo di Jules Verne, reso ancor più popolare da famose trasposizioni cinematografiche e film d’animazione.
La storia è nota: un pacato gentleman inglese, il suo fido domestico francese, un caparbio ispettore di polizia, una scommessa da vincere, un viaggio in apparenza impossibile e monotono che si rivelerà, in realtà, decisamente fattibile e avventuroso.
A quasi 150 anni dalla sua pubblicazione, “Il giro del mondo
Meli
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una aventura con todas las de ley.
Me pasé toda la lectura del libro soñando despierta, calculando cuánto llevaría hacer ese recorrido en la actualidad, con los transportes modernos y cuántos días de margen daría eso para que, visitando brevemente cada lugar (tampoco si das la vuelta al mundo da ir de tren en tren y de barco en barco, como en el libro)el viaje no se pase de los 80 días.

Mientras soñar sea gratis y el futuro incierto, capaz algún día quién dice. Como encantarme, ¡me encantaría!
Asmaa
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أعجبتنى كثيرا شخصية مستر فوج وكذلك خادمه باسبارتو ودفاعه عن سيده فى جميع المواقف .....وما أعجبنى اكثر هو نهاية الرحلة فهو فى خلال رحلته حول العالم لم يكسب أى شىء ماعدا زوجة جميلة محبة جعلت منه أسعد رجل بين الرجال ....ألا يستحق ذلك منه رحلة حول العالم ....؟؟
Elisa
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lo he leído mil veces y nunca me cansaré. De mis favoritos de toda la vida.

zahra haji
3.5

Mandy
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Well that was rather amusing :-) Preferred the second half of the book, faster paced and more escapades!
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume  #2
  • Anna Karenina
  • Captain Blood
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Graphic Classics: Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • The Black Tulip
  • The Black Arrow
  • Around the World in 80 Days (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • The Arabian Nights
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Second Jungle Book
  • Bunner Sisters
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant (Extraordinary Voyages, #5)
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City (Extraordinary Voyages, #8)
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa (Extraordinary Voyages, #9)
  • The Fur Country (Extraordinary Voyages, #10)
“Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real.” 1700 likes
“The chance which now seems lost may present itself at the last moment.” 120 likes