Start by marking “Deadman Wonderland, Vol. 1 (Deadman Wonderland, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadman Wonderland, Vol. 1 (Deadman Wonderland, #1)

Deadman Wonderland, Vol. 1

(Deadman Wonderland #1)

Ten years have passed since the Great Tokyo Earthquake, and the people's memories of the disaster have faded. Ganta Igarashi, a middle school evacuee, has finally begun to live a normal life... that is, until the day 'Red Man' appears at his school and Ganta's fate is changed forever.
Published February 9th 2010 by TokyoPop (first published September 26th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Deadman Wonderland, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Evan Bowers I think this is a Little inappropriate but it is a really great suspenseful book because of the main character Ganta Igarashi who was accused of…moreI think this is a Little inappropriate but it is a really great suspenseful book because of the main character Ganta Igarashi who was accused of murdering his entire class but the RED MAN did it to get him in deadman prison.(less)

Start your review of Deadman Wonderland, Vol. 1 (Deadman Wonderland, #1)
Raeleen Lemay
Having already watched the anime, I knew what was going to happen so I was analyzing the art more, and I found it to be a bit muddy and hard to discern what was happening at times. Plot-wise this is great, and I know it's just going to get better from here!
Χαρά Ζ.
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this already :D I think i am addicted to manga xD

Category: The First Book You See In a Bookstore

3 I-have-no-idea-how-to-rate-manga Stars

I fell in love with this cover when I walked through the doors of my local bookstore, it drew my eyes instantly and would not release them. I chided myself that “No, you cannot buy another book you’ve never heard of just because it’s pretty” and I forced myself to walk past it to the section where the book was that I actually came for. However, I wandered back and picked it up and perused it a bit, shoved it
Nərmin
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dark dystopian fans
First review
It began so interesting and promising. Ganta Igarashi is convicted for a mass murder he hasn't done and given a death sentence. Now in a prison called "Deadman Wonderland", he has to avoid death and keep himself alive. And also, in the "Deadman Wonderland", there are some people who can manipulate their bloods into weapons! Which also Ganta.
The name of manga is wonderful! I liked Ganta so far, also a strange girl named Shiro (which means "white" in japanese). The story seems
Christopher
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Apparently I have a _need-to-rate-review shelf from like 8 months ago that, like many of these books, I forgot existed. So we're going to blast through them Mad Max style, in no way giving them the attention I am sure they deserve.

First up is the Deadman Wonderland series. The original comments cover Vol 1, so this is about the whole series. I remember it being pretty good. I mean, I finished it, yeah? That got to count for something. 3.5 "I don't remember it sucking and I rated the individual
Allison
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dystopian manga? Get out.

It's 2023, ten years after an earthquake sunk 70% of Tokyo. Ganta Igarashi, a survivor of the Great Tokyo Earthquake, went on to live a normal life. When a creature Ganta calls Red Man murders all his classmates, he is sentenced to death and placed in Deadman Wonderland.

In Deadman Wonderland, the prisoners are wealthy as they can earn Cast Points. CPs can buy nearly anything, even a sentence reduction. It's like a credit card but if it's stolen, it isn't considered
Magdalen
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
OOhhhh I remember when I first watched an AMV of Deadman Wonderland a few years ago.. The story fascinated me so badly.
After peer pressure from my brother to read the manga (since I have watched the anime) I finally gave in. The thrill is still the same.
He also told me that the manga's ending is more mind blowing than the anime. We'll see..
Petros
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recipe: Take a third of Battle Royale, a third of Prison Break, and a third of Akira. Stir them in a bawl until the flavor is all gone and add lots of bad storytelling around the plate it is served upon. The result is Deadman Wonderland. Or as I prefer to call it, BrainDeadman COCOland; a completely unrealistic and chaotic show, with lots of gore thrown in to attract the casual viewers with superficial entertainment. Everything is made to be as much exaggerated as possible with violence ...more
Jamie
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-manwha
Bizarre and twisted with lots of gory action. Ganta's entire classroom is brutally massacred in from of him by a mysterious "Red Man" and next thing he knows he is in prison for apparently murdering them. But this is no ordinary prison. It is a televised deathmatch, prison and amusement park all in one! Sounds crazy right? Well it doesn't stop there...

This is one very messed up read. In a place with madmen with special abilities, competitions for survival and expensive candy that you will die if
توفيق عبد الرحيم
Amazing first volume i didn't know anything about Deadman wonderland before i read this
I love it so far interesting world and interesting story and characters
Not as impressive as first volume of Manga i read before like Berserk and Gantz but its right up there with them
And as usual i am more interested in the villain of the story and the pretty girl that we know nothing about
The Red man
and the girl that we don't know if she is wearing cloths or naked lol
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm quite new to manga and picked this up on a whim. Am I glad i did! I love it!!!!! The whole idea is fantastic (it would make an amazing movie). I really like the characters and the artwork is probably my favourite out of what I've seen (so far). On the volume 2....
Cornerofmadness
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it

I’m not a giant fan of the ultra violent manga since they tend to be long on gore and scantily dressed women and short on plot so I came into this with some preconceived notions. Happily, Deadman Wonderland blew those notions away. Yes, there was gore and violence but there was plot. Said plot, however, is a bit different and takes a nice dollop of suspension of disbelief.

It opens with Ganta Igarashi, a teenaged boy, and his classmates whining about the lame school trip that’s planned to
Nicola Mansfield
Off to a fantastic start. This is creepy, unsettling, horrific Japanese dystopia at its finest. Add in a paranormal element and everything you could want is here. Deadman Wonderland is a most unique world; an amusement park built on top of a privatized prison, the park is run by the inmates and the death row inmates are especially heinously controlled and made to participate is events (games) which result in life or death. A little like "Hunger Games" only more violent. While futuristic and ...more
Steve
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this was really, and I mean REALLY, gory and ultra-violent.

On to volume 2...
Romane
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I like it so far, with the gory and killing and blood and all. There's still a million of questions inside my head, though. I shall continue.
Lauren
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2017, manga
Well, this has definitely got an interesting premise and I can't wait to see where it goes. I already love the characters and the setting, so I'm sure I'll continue to love it as it becomes more fleshed out.
Inigomontoya
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
That was awesome!

Rtc.

Edited 12/7/2015

Ooh, where do I even begin with this one? The way its pacing was wonderfully fast? The epic gorefest? The characters?

description

Well, even though this was only like, five chapters, I loved every second of it.

First, the premise- I have only one word. Awesome. There was an earthquake that tore through Tokyo, now there's a prison that also functions as an amusement park, if prisoners don't eat 'candy' they get poisoned, prisoners called 'Deadmen' can manipulate their
Joshua
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I WISH I could give this 6 stars! The story was easy to follow & was just as easy to feel bad for Ganta, the main character. The artwork was stellar, and so clean & well done. Thus far this is, by far & away, my favorite manga I've ever read! Everyone should read this!
Julia Sapphire
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, manga, re-reads, 2016
quite enjoyable!!! I've already seen some of the anime so this was a faster and easier read than usual manga ! I like the prison system I find it so interesting ! The characters are really cool as well.
Catherine
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Oh boy. This story is Violent with a capital V. Lots of mysteries and lots of evil. I predict a truck-load of twists in the coming volumes.
Aleksandra
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
It wasn’t bad and it wasn’t good; the art is rather pretty and I like Shiro’s design.
I doubt I’ll continue reading the manga but I might give the anime adaptation a shot.

For the record, privatized prisons should not exist irl and the fact that they do exist makes me angry.
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Good beginning. I haven't read this before, nor have I seen the anime, so, I have no idea what is in store. I kinda like that.

Nothing all that mind-blowing. It's a dystopian story that isn't shy about the violence. The art is fine...there are some nice two-page spreads throughout this volume that were a lot of fun.

I'll definitely be continuing with vol. 2. I wanna know what the dealio with this red man is all about.
Mary ♥
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars
Tiara
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
4 stars

This is a re-read since Viz picked up the series and is releasing it in digital format. I read the first 3 volumes as released by Tokyopop and remember that I really enjoyed them, but TP went belly up (or whatever the CEO would have you believe), and stopped publishing manga. I despaired at ever finishing Deadman Wonderland, and now have hope that I will get to complete it since Viz is publishing it now.

Ganta, a middle school student, has been falsely accused of killing all of his
Ornella (Nyx)
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
Copy of the Manga was given by the Publisher in exchange for an honest review

Such a unique plotline! Using criminals to pay for the reconstruction of a country while still keeping them imprisioned and for the public to not realize that it's all quite inhumane. Not to mention the 'real deadman wonderland'. On top of all that there is the mystery of the Egg and his powers, and the powers that Igarashii is developing because of him. So many unanswered questions, looking forward to their answers!

I
Enni
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love it! Twisted background stories that each character carries and their mad mind! I always enjoyed something out of the ordinary.

Lots of action. Lots of blood. Interesting story, how everyone with differently personalities and differently skills all unite and become friends.

Keeps me on edge because of the action. Yes it does remind me of abit of battle royale but it is still good because I think its more than just killing for fun.

Not your usual bunch of good guys. Everyone is a sinner but
Miss Ryoko
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book, manga
Actual rating: 3.5

Whoa... I love it when I start a series that sounds like it'll be pretty interesting and it turns out way more awesome than I thought... this is one of them!

I can't wait for the last few volumes to come out in the USA so I can read the sh*t out of this series. The first volume was super interesting and intriguing. There really isn't much more to say than that. It was awesome.
Bec (becklepanda)
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A dystopian prison in Tokyo that's also a Wonderland for the survivors of the earthquake that destroyed the country? Plus a mix of psychological thriller (it'll mess you up) and possible supernatural powers? This manga is so up my alley, I'm glad I have the next five so I can just continue on! Only reason I gave this 4 stars was because of the randomly stereotypical hardly-dressed (if even) female character. There's always one.
Rachel
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
This was entertaining and intriguing! I thought the art style was pretty standard, a biiit confusing during the action scenes but otherwise fine; I especially liked the color pages at the beginning. Not the hugest fan of the main character, Ganta, so far, he seems a little typical and cliche of other protagonists in this genre of manga / anime, but Yo & Shiro seem interesting enough. The story is really entertaining and I'm excited to see where it goes in the next volumes!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
YouTube Anime/Man...: Deadman Wonderland Discussion 23 16 Jan 20, 2019 05:37PM
She-Geeks: May 2014 Read: Deadman Wonderland 4 22 Sep 25, 2014 06:32AM

• Future Diary, Volume 01 (Future Diary, #1)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 01 (Soul Eater, #1)
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1  (Blue Exorcist, #1)
  • Highschool of the Dead, Band 1
  • Tokyo Ghoul, tome 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)
  • Hellsing, Vol. 01 (Hellsing, #1)
  • ワンパンマン 1 [Wanpanman 1] (Onepunch-Man, #1)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 1 [Boku No Hero Academia 1] (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 1
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 1 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #1)
  • Bakuman, Band 1: Traum und Realität
  • Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee, Volume 1
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 1 (D.Gray-man, #1)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. #2 (D.Gray-man, #2)
  • 暗殺教室 1 [Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 1] (Assassination Classroom, #1)
Name (in native language): 片岡人生

Deadman Wonderland (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Deadman Wonderland, Vol. 2 (Deadman Wonderland, #2)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 3 (Deadman Wonderland, #3)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 4 (Deadman Wonderland, #4)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 5 (Deadman Wonderland, #5)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 6 (Deadman Wonderland, #6)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 7 (Deadman Wonderland, #7)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 8 (Deadman Wonderland, #8)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 9 (Deadman Wonderland, #9)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 10 (Deadman Wonderland, #10)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 11 (Deadman Wonderland, #11)