Start by marking “Angel's Den” as Want to Read:
Angel's Den

Angel's Den

In 1808, when Emma meets and marries Eric Montclaire (the famed “most handsome man west of the Appalachians”), this young daughter of prominent St. Louis citizens believes a fairy tale has just begun. Instead, her husband’s angelic looks quickly prove only to mask a monstrous soul all too capable of possessive emotions and physical abuse. Praying for mercy, she is

Published February 1st 2010 by B Books (first published January 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Angel's Den, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel's Den

Start your review of Angel's Den
Brittany
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Angel’s Den was such an interesting book. It is full of historic sites and details from along the trail that Lewis and Clark once traveled, as well as a storyline that kept me glued to the book till the very end. There is just so much wrapped up in this story!

At it’s most basic, this is a tale of warning. Emma enters into marriage with Eric Montclaire without realizing the kind of man he truly is. It is a tale of his abuse toward her and the way in which he attempts to control everything she
Ashley
Jan 11, 2010 added it
Shelves: reviewed
When I first saw Angel’s Den, I was like, Jamie Carie who? I had never heard of her or any of her work. But now I’m defintly a fan. The Angel’s Den starts out with a fairy tale wedding, but quickly turns in to a horrifying nightmare. Emma Daring’s married the best lookin’ man west of the Mississippi, but Eric Montclair’s not what he appears. Now, stuck in a love-less and abusive marriage, Eric forces Emma to travel west with him, in the footsteps of Lewis and Clark. Who will come to Emma’s ...more
Cindy
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it

Reviewed by Cindy Loven

Set in 1808 in Saint Louis and along the path and trails of the Lewis and Clark expedition, Angels den opens with us meeting Emma, the daughter of prominent parents, an only child. A bit spoiled, but a lovely young woman. Her wedding is her dream come true, at least that is what she thinks. However after the wedding, she realizes that the man she thought she loved and the man she married are worlds apart.

Eric Monclaire, famed and acclaimed as the most handsome man west of
Christina (Reading Extensively)
This was a moving and nail-biting novel. At times I had to stop reading because it was so painful to read about Emma's suffering. In spite of all she goes through, Emma emerges as a strong young woman. Luke is a multifaceted hero and he also has struggles to deal with, such as realizing that it is God who will save Emma, not himself. Throughout the novel there are people who see what is happening to Emma and some like Luke want to help her but they don't know how. Judge Littleton who is ...more
Cheryl
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
The year was 1808.

Emma Daring was getting ready to walk down the aisle and marry, dashing Eric Montclaire. Emma realized that Eric didn’t really love her; he just loved the image of having a wife in order to trick people that he was a respectable man.

Luke Bowen receives a letter from Eric offering him a job, accompanying Eric and Emma on a trek as they plan to follow in Lewis and Clark’s foot steps. Due to Luke’s great talent as a cartographer, he would make a nice addition. Luke can’t pass up
Nancy
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Emma marries Eric, a handsome man with an evil soul. She, of course, doesn't realize his dark side until they are married. Eric plans an expedition to follow the route of Lewis and Clark and establish trading posts along the way. He hires Luke, a cartographer who had traveled briefly with Lewis and Clark, to be the cartographer of this expedition. At the last minute, Eric insists that Emma accompany the group. What follows is murder, abuse, disaster, a love triangle, forgiveness, and a surprise ...more
Holly
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I could not find one error in this book, not one single flaw. It was written so precise. With a clear objective in mind.
Angels Den was the story of Emma, a woman abused by her husband. It was a story of redemption, how God can take even the most evil of circumstances and turn it around for Good.
Eric Emma's husband. He had the face of an Angel but underneath lurked pure evil. A man who wrestled with his own failed childhood.
Luke a man like david. After God's heart. Kind, and loving. A
Dixie
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Emma marries the most beautiful groom in St Louis, only to have him beat & rape her throughout the time she is married to him. Eric makes her go along on his barge, along the Lewis & Clark trail to set up trading posts. Luckily for Emma, young Luke is there to save the day! OK...it's a historical "romance". I was hoping for more history about the Lewis & Clark trail. I'll have to find a different book for that!
Lisa
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really didn't think I would like this book. Turns our - it was awesome! I enjoyed the characters - even the worst one. Jamie did a great job making him despicable... He was awful and i totally believed it! Thanks for another great book - kept clean. Now, don't be alarmed - he is awful - so if you don't like spousal abuse, don't read. =)
Sally
May 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Rough in parts, and a key plot point felt a little too contrived. I also felt as though the epilogue could have easily been another couple of chapters due to the amount of information given to the reader.
Theresa
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Older Teens through Adult
Set in the Missouri Territory in 1808, Emma Daring marries the man of her dreams, Eric Montclair. Eric is a handsome and successful businessman who has offered Emma her a fairytale life. Like all fairy tales, there lurks a dark and sinister character, who to Emma's mortification, ends up being her most handsome husband, Eric. Emma's only hope of a better life is the upcoming expedition that her husband has arranged, as no man takes woman on an such a trip. Or so Emma thought....

On Friday night,
Rachel
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
If I could, I would give this book 3.5 stars. The story was interesting and had a good balance of drama and mystery. But I got so frustrated with a few very obvious historical errors. A multiple-round handgun is used several times in the book (view spoiler) which is rather amazing since the were only invented 10 years after the time period of the book. I rather ...more
Diane  Holm
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Startling Romantic Adventure…..

Set in post Lewis and Clark America, Jamie Carr creates an intriguing story of “Beauty and the Beast” in reverse. Deception is the key ingredient and its effects are used with stunning success.

Evil is portrayed in its most deceiving form. When truth becomes apparent, innocence is stolen, shattered, and broken. Faith, strength and courage rise to the occasion but who will prevail in the end?

The writing was excellent. Stimulating the imagination with vivid
justablondemoment
I didn't find this book to be anything breathtaking but, it was a good novel that kept me entertained. Slightly on the simplistic side, as with most christian fiction, it was not hard to figure out what was to come. Author did a good job of showing domestic violence and the webs that are strung and how victims get caught in them. I'm not sorry I took the time to read it, but, I'm equally not sure if I would read more by this author.
Tracy
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it
A Lewis-and-Clark era Christian, historical romance. I like this author, and I like that the book was a clean read, especially given the storyline in which a married woman in an abusive relationship falls in love with another man--but tries to honor God's laws. I agree with other reviewers that the ending felt a bit rushed in comparison to the rest of the book. And while I generally like epilogues, this one felt a little contrived.
Audrie
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
It's really amazing that a Christian author could have such a sweet romance like Angel's Den! I was expecting to have biblical references slammed at me throughout the whole book, but even a non-believer can enjoy this story! The bittersweet romance, redemption and hope are all themes and idealogy everyone can get along with.
Gretchen
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Just finished this one today. It's a christian love story that could have been so much more, but was still a very good book. It has a really good story lined, I just wish the characters had been developed more so we felt like we knew them better. Some of the story lines seemed a little rushed, but none the less, a good, quick read.
Whitney Ostrander
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was just WOW!!. It was so hard for me to put this book down it was so good!! I love it when I can get lost in a book and not know that there is another world out there than what is in my hands! I am going to have to buy this book hands down! I look forward to reading many more books by Jamie Carie!
Deborah Boutwell
I loved it! My review is here, http://deborahsreaditlist.blogspot.com/

Such a great job of creating the bad guy, I hated him instantly, but then there was this little part of me that kept waiting for him to be redeemed.
Esther
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a book that kept my attention from the beginning to the end. I totally enjoyed this book. It was a story about a girl who was in an abusive marriage, and her struggles to get away.
Mariah Burden
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazing mix of adventure & romance!! Finished it before I could put it down! Overall a awesome read!
Margaret Chind
*Thanks to Julie Gwinn of B&H for providing a copy for review*.
Rebecca
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
An unexpected thriller from beginning to end!
Athena
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
An okay romance, you might enjoy it if you like God to be one of the main characters in your romances.
Heather
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a good book. Had a crazy ending and didn't see that coming.

I never read anything by this author before but am lookign forward to reading other books by her.
Amanda
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Any book that talks about tendrils of hair (especially if it does it more than once) automatically has a harder time getting a high-star rating.
Nanette
I wanted to read this book because of the Lewis and Clark piece - which turns out to be a tiny part of the story. The storyline kind of went on and on, but did have some exciting elements.
Hulah
Apr 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Kept me interested. I kinda felt the whole timeframe of the story happen too fast. The 'trial' at the end was my favorite part.
Highland-dreamer
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, though some of the plot was a little hard to believe. It was well-written and had a nice romance. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Shannon
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
As always I could not put this book down. It is a good love story with some court room drama. I think this has been one of my favorites by her with Snow Angel a close second.

• Love Unexpected (Beacons of Hope, #1)
  • The Fairest Beauty (Hagenheim, #3)
  • The Princess Spy (Hagenheim, #5)
  • Road Trip (Disney Mickey Mouse Clubhouse)
  • The Captive Maiden (Hagenheim, #4)
  • The Orphan's Wish (Hagenheim, #8)
  • The Silent Songbird (Hagenheim, #7)
  • The Merchant's Daughter (Hagenheim, #2)
  • The Beautiful Pretender (A Medieval Fairy Tale, #2)
  • Beyond This Moment (Timber Ridge Reflections, #2)
  • A Noble Masquerade (Hawthorne House, #1)
  • The Warrior Maiden (Hagenheim, #9)
  • An Uncommon Courtship (Hawthorne House, #3)
  • The Maid of Fairbourne Hall
  • A Spy's Devotion (The Regency Spies of London, #1)
  • My Secret Mother
  • Breathing Water
  • The Secret of Pembrooke Park
Born and raised in Vincennes, Indiana, Jamie is a preacher’s daughter. Road trips with her dad—to and from Bible studies across Indiana—were filled with talks of things beyond earth’s bounds – creation and the fall, God and Jesus and the rapture, the earthly walk compared to the spiritual walk, and how we are born for more than what we can see or touch. The highlight of those nights was stopping ...more
“the Voice, a resonant echo inside his chest. I will make a way for the righteous. I will not fail the upright of heart. I will not fail you of heavy laden burdens. I will remember you. I will carry you. I will save. I will save.” 0 likes