Start by marking “Isabel: Taking Wing (Girls of Many Lands)” as Want to Read:
Isabel: Taking Wing (Girls of Many Lands)

Isabel: Taking Wing (Girls of Many Lands)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  1,222 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
London, 1592

Girls must always be good and stay at home. But when you are a boy, the whole world can be your home. Men build houses and ships and sail off to discover strange new lands. But women must stay indoors, sewing stitches so fine that no one will ever see them. Our work is only visible if we do it badly. Aunt Elinor says I must be ladylike, like Sabine. But I will
Published September 1st 2002 by American Girl Publishing Inc

Megan
Emily
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I remember this being one of, if not my favorite girls of many lands book when I read them originally in middle school. I can see why I liked it. A lot happened. And I think it was written well for the targeted audience. As an adult I feel the beginning was slow. Which I also think I must've thought when I was in middle school. And that the most eventful parts of the story such as Isabel's time with the traveling actors was too short and I wanted more. But that's coming from an adult re
Kelly
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ag-books
I believe I have tried to read this once before. I found it quite dull, but this time around I enjoyed it. The beginning is rather slow, but it picks up. It is a gentle view of some dark topics. I love the mood of the book. The slight dreariness of the Elizabethan times comes out very well.

Spoiler: I was quite upset that there was not a scene where Kit comes back at the very end. That would have been a sweet romantic ending.
Amie
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-girl
This was pretty good. I feel Elizabethan England is a common topic for middle grade books, but it's hard to get right. It took a while for the drama to unfold, but once it starts, it doesn't stop. I wish these characters had several books like the original American Girl series. I'd like to see if Isabel meets Meg's brother again.
Sean Harding
First of multi author series describing life for different girls in different time periods from different countries, looked good, and was easy to read, but was pretty forgettable in content and not that interesting over all.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is about a girl in 1592 London named Isabel, sort of a tomboyish girl who does not fit her father's image of a "proper" girl. She makes friends with a servant (a definite no-no), and even has the audacity to watch a play at the theater.

In response, her father sends her away to stay with an aunt for a while to learn how to behave in a proper manner. Along the way she ends up in a situation with robbers, is rescued, then has to disguise herself as a boy to join a group of theatrical pe
Katy
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I like how it goes from Christmas to spring to summer to the time of the fever. I love the adventure Isabel takes to get to her aunt's house. Although, she did have to go through a lot of trouble on that journey. The servant that was taking her to her aunt's dies and she finds a frind from town who is going the same place she is and she has to pretend to be a boy to go with him and his group. This isn't the only thing the book is about. I love the friendship that Meg and Isabel ...more
Tarissa
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No one knows it more than Isabel Campion that life is not very thrilling for a young girl living in London, England in 1592. Leaving her frustrations at home, she finally decides to make her own adventure, even though she knows it's risky. However, taking that risk just might be the beginning of the change of pace she was looking for. Her dreams just might be in reach.

The author did an excellent job of incorporating just enough facts about the time period, and about their daily lifestyle, that t
Molly
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isabel is a very imaginative girl, who longs for adventure, but has no idea what "finding adventure" altogether entails. In her story Isabel learns, bravery, courage, hardwork, and by the end of the novel is learning how to be a lady.
I personally don't understand the mindset present in the time period of always having to obey the rules, when it's proven that most of the good things in this book happen when Isabel defys the rules, (although usually she is forced to do it by the circumstances).
A
Leilani
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Girl who lives in england and her mom had died when she was little, and her sister had been teribly sick, she meets a servant and plays with her, then she has to be sent to her aunt beacuse her dad is running low on money and her poor little sister is so sick plus she made a bad choice... on her way 2 her Aunts she falls of her horse and gets lost missing her little sister not knowing if she is still alive! THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GREAT!
Rosa
Dec 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isabel is a girl who lives in the 1500's in Europe. She must be living like the proper girl she is expected to live like; following all rules and staying at home helping around the house. Though she doesn't like it, she dreams of going out onto the world and exploring. One day she goes sneeks out and comes back late at night all wet. This forces her father to send her away to live with her aunt to help her with her patients.
Sydney
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a great book, but I though that Cecile: Gates of Gold was much better. There was just something about the writing style, and the way things flowed in this book that was different. otherwise I really enjoyed this book.
Janet
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was very uplifting and a very good read. Any young girl would like this book.{Or young at heart} It was refreshing and a great change from the other books that I have been reading. I loved the time period it was set in Old London 1800's. Isabel was a great charactor. I will check into other books by Annie Dalton.
Kaetlyn
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Joanna
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite among this series and I highly recomend it. It has been a while since I have read it but I remember really liking it and that it was a very powerful if not a little sad but amazing.
Kelly Kitka
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was a kid, this was the first book that ever made me genuinely cry. I remember running to my mother and telling her how great this book was and reread the last sentence out loud which made me tear up again. I never ever want to live during a time or experience a widespread plague. SO scary!
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
England, really good book.
Elevetha
I was rather bored.
Courtney
Jul 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was so good that I couldn't stop reading it and finished it in one day!
Nancy
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cultures, series
London, 1592, plague, wealthy class, role of girls and expectations of them are topics in this story.
Amy
Jan 20, 2012 added it
Next to Spring Pearl, my favorite of the Girls of Many Land books. Reccomended for the age group
Katie
Good historical fiction for kids/tweens/teens.
Ashwise
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-read-again
It was an ok story about the usual being a lady is bad and so is having proper manners and it's better to be free....geez I'm already sick of this genre....
Vidula
Just read this for a historical fiction - it wasn't that great of a book. At least it wasn't terrible...
Meghan
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-girl
Tudor isn't one of my favorite periods but I enjoyed the story. At first I was concerned that it would go much more into hawking, which I find dull, but the plot ended in a way that I liked.
Samantha Madison
I don't normally read books about this time period, but it proved to be very entertaining.
Mary Bronson
I thought this book was interesting. I really enjoyed reading this book. Isabel is such a great main character. It was a great quick read. Now I want to read more from this series
Jenna
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a great book! It takes place in England and about a young girls life and such....Highly recommended by me.
Lucy
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written and really transports you back in time. The author includes many little details that makes it real. 4 1/2 stars
Melenia
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book.
  • Cécile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Spring Pearl: The Last Flower (Girls of Many Lands, China)
  • Kathleen: The Celtic Knot
  • Leyla: The Black Tulip (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Minuk: Ashes in the Pathway (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Neela: Victory Song (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Under Copp's Hill (American Girl History Mysteries, #8)
  • Riddle of the Prairie Bride (American Girl History Mysteries, #12)
  • Gangsters at the Grand Atlantic (American Girl History Mysteries, #20)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • Secrets on 26th Street (American Girl History Mysteries, #5)
  • Mystery at Chilkoot Pass (American Girl History Mysteries, #17)
  • Betrayal at Cross Creek (American Girl History Mysteries, #22)
  • Shadows in the Glasshouse (American Girl History Mysteries, #10)
  • Really Truly Ruthie (American Girls: Kit)
  • Addy's Wedding Quilt
Dalton grew up as an only child in the English countryside during the 1950s. Her father was not always around, but when he was, he would tell her fantastical stories, often with her as the principal character. Her father left the family for good. Dalton missed him and his stories, which led her to the fantasy section at her local library, thus sparking life-long love of fiction.

After undertaking j
More about Annie Dalton

Girls of Many Lands (8 books)
  • Cécile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Leyla: The Black Tulip (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Spring Pearl: The Last Flower (Girls of Many Lands, China)
  • Minuk: Ashes in the Pathway (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Kathleen: The Celtic Knot
  • Neela: Victory Song (Girls of Many Lands)

Young Adult Deals

• A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Is the Story of You
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Don't Get Caught
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • So B. It
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Girls on Fire
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
  • What to Say Next
  • We Are Okay
    $10.99 $2.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Memory Book
  • Holding Up the Universe
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • Salt to the Sea
  • The Truth Beneath the Lies
  • Now Is Everything
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire
  • If There's No Tomorrow
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Words on Bathroom Walls
  • American Street
  • The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress #1)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Hunted
  • Words in Deep Blue
  • Daughter of the Burning City
  • Wax
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
  • The Pants Project