Start by marking “Blue Dahlia (In the Garden, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blue Dahlia (In the Garden, #1)

Blue Dahlia

(In the Garden #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  65,321 ratings  ·  1,421 reviews
Recently widowed Stella Rothschild has found a new love in Logan Kitridge. But there is someone who isn't happy about Stella's growing feelings for Logan: the Harper Bride, an unidentified woman whose grief and rage have kept her spirit alive long past the death of her body.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Dahlia, please sign up.
Mary I loved The Key Trilogy. Read all those a few years back. They were real page turners.…moreI loved The Key Trilogy. Read all those a few years back. They were real page turners. (less)

·  65,321 ratings  ·  1,421 reviews

Start your review of Blue Dahlia (In the Garden, #1)
Cyndi
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
A good romance and beginning of the trilogy. The hero is a bit hard to fall in love with, and the beginning is terribly sad, but the story comes around. Of course, It's Nora Roberts so its well written and the characters are developing perfectly.
Stella moves back to Tennessee after losing her husband. She wants to raise her two sons closer to her father. There she lands the perfect job and makes some wonderful friends. But when she moves into the Harper House, she meets the Harper Ghost.
Nora
Jane Stewart
2 stars. Not enough story. Not enough plot. Characters were nice people but not compelling enough for a story.

My mind kept wandering. A lot of conversation about ordinary things. Characters did not interest or intrigue me. Stella likes to organize and manage things. Logan is creative and artistic with his landscaping but appears disorganized in other things. I wasn’t drawn to the relationship. The sex scenes didn’t do anything for me.

The plot surrounding the ghost was not well developed and not
Kristen
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Nora Roberts's Blue Dahlia, she introduced to three women who came together to work in a garden nursery in rural Tennessee. First, there's Stella Rothchild, a recent young widow with two young sons have moved back to her hometown to be closer to her family. She met Roz Harper, who owned the Harper House and ran the flowery nursery. She wasn't intimated by her, since she tried to escape the ghosts of the past. As she settled down into her new life, she met expectant young mother Hayley and ...more
Obsidian
Nothing really to say except that I love this series. After trying to start the inn series by Nora Roberts, I ended up seeing so many similarities to "In the Garden" that I happily DNFed the first book in the inn series and decided to re-read this one.

I love gardening and the outdoors so this series was always fun to me. We have some romance and some characters that I actually enjoyed enough to revisit through three books.

"Blue Dahlia" is the first book in the series and follows single mother
Patricia
One review said that next to the ghosty atmosphere and romance, this novel also contains lots of gardening tips.

I don't really do flowers or nature. I mean, I like green. As, maybe, a wallpaper. Or pullovers when children wear them. We used to have a green bird, too. Sweet thing. Obnoxiously loud.

For f-cks sake, I'm probably the only human being, next to Bree's sex-addicted boyfriend in Desperate Housewives, who killed a cactus. In cold blood.

I'm a cruel, evil person and I get crazy obsessed
D.G.
**2.5 stars**

Like the Bride Quartet, this book is more about women running a business and their friendship. Even the ghost was more important than the romance, which was lukewarm and not very exciting. I never got the impression that the hero and heroine even liked each other, so I'm not sure how they fell in love.

I'm not that interested in gardens so all the talk about plants bored me to death. If I had liked the main character, maybe I could have enjoyed the book more, but Stella was a control
♡Karlyn P♡
Started off great, even made me cry after the first few chapters. Then the story moved ahead a few years and it went downhill from there. Just slow, touchy-feely fluff in a small southern town. That may appeal to many, but it became boring for me.
Ashley
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I needed a ghost book for a challenge and picked this up and it ended up being really good! I liked the characters and the little family that came together throughout the story, I'm glad the same characters are in the rest of this series. I didn't think I would like this because of something Stella went through in the beginning and I'm not big on sad type stories, but once it was over it didn't drag her down for long. And Logan was funny. I need to know more about the Harper Bride, I will read ...more
Amber
Stella Rothchild's life comes crashing down on her when her husband Kevin dies in a plane crash. Willing for a fresh start, she uproots her boys and takes them back to her home place of Memphis, Tennessee to be closer to her father and Stepmother. Stella goes to Harper house where she is hired on by lady of the house Rosalind Harper to work in her nursery In the Garden as a manager. Her only condition is that Stella and her children must live in Harper House for the first months of her ...more
Karen Syed
This one is a keeper. It's one of those books that I don't think I would have normally read, but I was going on a trip and needed an unabridged audio for a long trip. I am totally pleased with the end result. Blue Dahlia is a fun and invigorating read. Logan is a great hero, and Stella is a delightful thorn in his side.

When Stella's husband dies in a freak accident, she is forced to take on a new type of life. She moves back to her birthplace in Tennessee and takes a job at Harper House. Her
Celeste
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I know I’ve read this series before, but it’s one of the few Nora Roberts trilogies that I don’t remember clearly. Which meant that I needed to reread them immediately!

This isn’t my favorite Nora series, but it’s still fun and sweet with just enough mystery to add some flavor to the narrative. In the Garden is a nursery business set up by Rosalind Harper on her family estate, and she’s on the hunt for a manager. Stella Rothschild would give her right arm to become that manager. She and her boys
Cyndy Aleo
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Nora Roberts books are a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine. Sure, she technically writes romance novels, but her books are always so well-researched you feel like you are actually learning something. Blue Dahlia is the first novel in her In the Garden series, and the gardener in me LOVES all the references she weaves into the story.

::: In the Garden :::

Blue Dahlia is the introduction to the story of three women who all work at a gardening store called (you guessed it) In the Garden. Roz Harper
✨Susan✨
A very typical Nora Roberts, with a good friendship story, a new romance, a birth and a ghost. Stella is a newly widowed, mother of two boys who moves back to her hometown in Tennessee, looking for a fresh start and a safe new place for them to settle. She ends up at a garden nursery owned by Roz, a strong older woman who provides her with a satisfying job and a safe roof over their heads at Harper House.

It is well known that a harmless, female ghost who is very protective of children inhabits
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
I liked the author's other series about an Inn, 3 brothers, a bookstore, etc. And now found a new favorite.

This was a pretty good start. And liked that the ghost character was introduced from the beginning and is mentioned again as the story gets going.

The characters you like and get a hint as to what their story will be in the next book. Plus Logan I think is one of my favorites. While he and Stella bicker and try to get along, he's at least honest but at the same time unsure of some things.
Kara Jorges
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stella Rothchild's world comes apart the night her husband dies in a plane crash, leaving her to raise their two boys alone. When Stella makes a fresh start a couple years later, she moves to the city of her birth, Memphis, Tennessee, to be closer to her father and stepmother. She takes a job at In the Garden, a garden center run by Roz Harper, an admirable woman 10 years older than Stella. Roz stipulates that Stella and her children must live in Harper House, her ancestral home, for the first ...more
Lucy
I picked this up from my library because I've enjoyed Nora Roberts in the past and my library actually had the first book in this series.

This book is about a woman who loses her husband and moves to Memphis where her father and stepmother live and gets a job at an old house with a garden. She starts up a relationship with the other gardener but the house ghost is not appreciative of it.

I enjoyed this book. I'm not going to lie, I'm finding that I can take or leave the Nora Roberts' romances but
Tina
Stella Rothschild's husband suddenly dies and she is left alone with two young sons. Devastated and afraid, Sarah grieves but eventually turns her attention toward the future. She moves from Michigan to start all over again in Memphis, the place where she was born and her father now lives. There she gets a job as a manager of a nursery/garden shop. She quickly becomes friends with Roz, the enigmatic owner of the shop, her new boss and owner of Harper house where Stella lives as a condition of ...more
Phrynne
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't actually like romances very much but Nora Roberts has a talent for adding the supernatural into hers which make them great reading for me! This one was actually sufficiently spooky that I did not like to read it in bed at night. So having just finished it in the cold hard light of day I can say that I enjoyed the story, the characters, the haunting and even the romance. The sex scenes reminded me of Eve and Roarke but I guess that is not surprising. Another good book from an amazingly ...more
Reen
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
The story was okay and kept my interest but the characters, especially Stella, I just found annoying. She was just too tightly wound for me. The ending is what really disappointed me. Listening to it in the car, even my son said, "that's it? Is there a sequel? There are way to many loose ends here and I haven't even listened to the whole book!" That about sums it up!!
Lyn *NomadicWorlds
I'd forgotten how much I loved Logan.
Marie (UK)
Earlier this year i became hooked on Nora Roberts alter ego J D Robb and now this has me hooked on more of her writing.
Mainly a ghost story but with her romantic sprinklings throughout this follows Stellas move across America from Michigan to Memphis Tennessee. A new job and home with an unexpected additional feature in its century old ghost give Stella's life enough complications and then there is Logan.

I listened on audio - a very easy and compelling audio of an equally compelling tale I am
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
3.5 or 4 stars. Enjoyed the story and the characters, although I can't quite see how the two main characters, so totally opposite in terms of organization and spontaneity, will manage to get along in a marriage. The overall ghost-story arc plays out through the entire trilogy, and it's interesting without being too creepy. Full review to come.
Carolyn
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roberts-nora, re-read
1st read in 2009. Still enjoyed it in 2020.
Darcy
I was surprised by how much I liked this one as there were some rough spots. I really liked the women's friendships. I liked the 3 decades that they spanned, each at a different spot in their lives, yet they could relate to the other and give support where needed. By the end I loved the little family that was built.

I loved all the action around the garden center. It really made me itch to get outside. However in my part of the world right now, Mother Nature is being cruel and sending inches up
Kathy
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it.......up until about the last 10 pages.....then it seemed to go at warp speed and almost fall flat. It felt like Roberts forgot she had a deadline and the jammed everything in and then abruptly ended the story. Could be it was supposed to lead into the next book of the trilogy but it felt too choppy to me. Of course I'll read the next part - maybe it will smooth things out? Aside from that I did like the character development and loved the setting......an easy and quick read so it fit ...more
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Another win for Nora Roberts. I loved this story. Stella is a strong single mother looking to get control of her life with her boys after the death of her husband and happen to find a great place to work. Three women become close and find a beautiful friendship but Stella also found herself falling for a handsome man that she thought was going to drive her crazy. He does in a good way and he is so good with the boys too. That's just the beginning and I can't wait to see how the story will ...more
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Sometimes I like lite reading and my sister in law recommended Nora Roberts. I don't normally like her, but found her delightful in this trilogy. Yes, I hide my lite reading until I'm ready to post my thoughts, lol
I really liked the story. Review of this and the whole In the Garden trilogy to come. I combined the 3 book reviews for posting on Red Lily.
Kathy Warren
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This read is wonderful fast paced and sure to keep you on your toes. Harper House has a ghost as a residence that songs to the children. Can't wait till I read the next sequel to find out who the Harper ghost is and what happens to the families who live there.
Lydia
Nov 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't handle Nora Roberts anymore. Every single book is exactly the same. Strong woman moves to a new(country) place, meets an asshole guy (portrayed as "sexy" and "strong willed") and is essentially bullied into a romance. These books just terrible.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I really need to remember this book. I remember liking it a lot and being enchanted by the ending, wishing I had the sequel.
Play Book Tag: Blue Dahlia / Nora Roberts. 3.5 stars 3 17 Aug 04, 2017 04:51PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #162, 163, 171 In The Garden Trilogy by Nora Roberts 1 1 Sep 01, 2015 09:02AM
USA Geography Cha...: Blue Dahlia by Nora Roberts 1 1 Dec 29, 2014 09:34PM
Nora Roberts Grou...: Blue Dahlia 18 35 Aug 05, 2014 10:27AM

• The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Trinidad
  • El Cuaderno De Rosa
  • Remember When

In the Garden (3 books)
  • Black Rose (In the Garden, #2)
  • Red Lily (In the Garden, #3)
“Oh, for heaven's sake, Harper, I didn't just pee on the floor. My water broke.'
'What water?' He blinked, then went pale as a corpse. 'That water. Oh, God. Oh, Jesus. Oh, shit. Sit. Sit, or... I'll get-'
An ambulance. The marines.
'My mother.”