Start by marking “Religion: If There is No God...on God, the Devil, Sin and Other Worries of the So-Called Philosophy of Religion” as Want to Read:

Leszek Kolakowski discusses, in a highly original way, the arguments for and against the existence of God as they have been conducted through the ages. He examines the critiques of religious belief, from the Epicureans through Nietzsche to contemporary anthropological inquiry, the assumptions that underlie them, and the counter-arguments of such apologists as Descartes, ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by St. Augustine's Press (first published April 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Religion

Start your review of Religion: If There is No God...on God, the Devil, Sin and Other Worries of the So-Called Philosophy of Religion
Judyta Szaciłło
The book left me with very mixed feelings. I enjoyed it very much, but reading it was a struggle. I like most of what it says, but I disagree with the conclusions!

It is a journey through the history of religious fundamental questions and controversies, and of the unavoidable clashes between the ways of thinking conditioned by the Sacred and the Profane. This is not a book for the impatient: the narrative is florid, rich in metaphors and in philosophers' jargon; but it is also beautifully
Rhesa
Apr 09, 2009 is currently reading it
Shelves: philosophy
I bought the older Fontana Masterguides edition of this book in a secondhand bookstore in a remote city of Australia called Tweed Heads, which is in the border of New South Wales & Queensland. What made me buy this is because I know Leszek Kolakowsi is a Polish Marxist philosopher, he authored the reputable 3 volumes of Main Current in Marxism.

But to my surprise, in this book he is somewhat is in favor of religion. I haven't really read this book, but I hope someday I will cuz I'm always
John
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
This is a difficult book to read if you are not a theologian or philosopher. But the author does provide a lot of points for the validity of believing in God. I enjoyed his chapter on God of the Mystics the most. It was the most readable in my opinion.
Lazarus-II
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 or 9/10
Realini
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-again, favorites
Religion by Leszek Kolakowski
Fabulous! I will read this again

Religion is an extremely important issue, even for people who are still looking for definitive answers, like me.
In a world where people are killed in the name of religion, by the mindless IS extremists and the terrible gunmen in Paris who have murdered people the other day, understanding faith is vital.
And this fabulous book helps you make sense of an intriguing and exhaustive subject.
It is not a work that will just present various
Marek
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Książkę można przeczytać w 2 dni, jednak zostawia człowieka kompletnie bez energii. Kołakowski używa zaawansowanego języka naukowego, stawia nas w pozycji student pierwszego roku - wykładowca fizyki.
Całość rozważań można podsumować prosto: na dowolny temat, można przedstawić dowolną liczbę argumentów za, jak i przeciw.
Książka daje na pytanie czy religia czy sceptycy mają rację daje jednak odpowiedź: 42! To są dwa różne światy i nie ma sensu ich mieszać :D
Mike
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I don't agree with the premise in this book that religion is necessary for moral foundations, the arguments for and against a religious existence are quite compelling.
Piotr Rosół

• Demian. Die Geschichte von Emil Sinclairs Jugend
  • No Logo
  • The Meaning of It All: Thoughts of a Citizen-Scientist
  • A Guide to Philosophy in Six Hours and Fifteen Minutes
  • "What Do You Care What Other People Think?": Further Adventures of a Curious Character
  • The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason
  • Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel
  • The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11
  • The Mexican Revolution: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions Book 459)
  • Fight: A Christian Case for Non-Violence
  • Hitler: 1889-1936 Hubris (Hitler, #1)
  • Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2)
  • Iron Sunrise (Eschaton, #2)
  • Invisible Sun
  • How to Use Spotify Playlists to Launch Your Career in Music
  • Singularity Sky (Eschaton, #1)
  • Suspicious Minds (Stranger Things, #1)
Distinguished Polish philosopher and historian of ideas. He is best known for his critical analysis of Marxist thought, especially his acclaimed three-volume history, Main Currents of Marxism. In his later work, Kolakowski increasingly focused on religious questions. In his 1986 Jefferson Lecture, he asserted that "We learn history not in order to know how to behave or how to succeed, but to know ...more
“Extremely unlikely events occur every moment and it is not a priori unthinkable that the evolution of life should be due to mere chance than that a particular order in a pack of cards should result from mechanical shuffling.” 0 likes