Start by marking “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” as Want to Read:
Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

Cherished for nearly two centuries, the traditional lullaby "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" continues to send children off to dreamland. In this tenderly illustrated edition of the classic rhyme, award-winning artist Sylvia Long touches the hearts of reader yet again. Her detailed watercolors depict a group of animal friends as they make their way home under the night sky ...more
Published August 1st 2001 by Chronicle Books

Start your review of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
Kathryn
I like Sylvia Long's artwork and this is certainly a gentle, cozy bedtime read full of lots of cute critters getting ready for bed. But, I just didn't wanted the story to be different/special. But, could have just been my mood as this looks like a highly rated book, overall!
Ian Plecker

Copyright Date: 2001

Number of Pages: 24

Genre: Lullaby

Summary & Review/Response:
This book Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star illustrated by Sylvia Long is a folk story seen through the eyes of many different wild animals. The fox who looks to be the narrator of the story takes us through the village as it is getting darker out. As the fox tells the story he lights up each light in the town with a candle that
Emily Schlotzhauer
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-5
Sylvia Long adds a cute twist to a classic in this poem. It highlights small creatures who are going to bed by the twinkling of the stars. There is even a night traveler who lights the lanterns around town through the help of the star's brightness. This would be a perfect bedtime poem for little ones to show them that even animals have to take baths and brush their teeth!
Kelsey Kitchen
This is a cute book for you to read to your liile ones for like a bed time story. It is an easy read book so the children can read it to is it short and sweet. I like the inistations in this book they show the animals looking at the sky and finding there love ones. I thought it would be like th song and it starts that way but it is not the song its a story.
McKenzie Emberton
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like how it is a take on a traditional lullaby so children are familiar with the song. I thought the pictures matched the topic of the lullaby perfectly I also thought it would be a great start to a poetry unit.
Stefany Boleyn
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love this!! The illustrations are wonderful. Unfortunately, I only had time to sing/read it to one classroom. I always mess up the ending tune.
kim
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
eh
Anthony
The classic traditional lullaby is revisited as sleepy individuals prepare for bedtime as night approaches.
Makenna Teague
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is about a group of young animals that follow a bright star through its journey. They follow this star at watch it all the way up to bed time.
Chelsea
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This was so cute, I loved it. The poetic feel and the beautiful art.
Jakerah
1. n/a
2. Prek-2nd grade
3. The story is about a group of animals who are friends, and are traveling during the night. The friend use the guiding light of the moon that illuminates the sky, in order to make their way home.
4. Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star is a nursery rhyme that has been passed down from one generation to the next, time after time. This is a great bedtime story to read to a child right before bed. It soothes their mind and calms their spirit. The illustration assist in soothing
Jessica Shepherd
Everyone has heard this nursery rhyme, it's a classic and it's very easy to follow. The only bad thing is that it continuously repeats itself. It's a simple and easy nursery for children because then it's easily teachable to others. The book has lots of pictures and it's very long.
Meg McGregor
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This traditional lullaby has been used for centuries to help children go to sleep. There are so many versions of this lullaby and what sets this one apart is the illustrations and story line.

A group of animals are on their way home. First, a fox is seen carrying a walking stick, so he must have traveled a distance.

Then, a group of friends, who have been watching the stars come out, decide it is time to go home. They are eagerly welcomed by their parents and bed time routines begin.

Among the
Jessica
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graciela
Graciela really likes this book, because the characters get ready for bed just like she does. The illustrations depict scenarios familiar and comforting to her. It shows the little animals getting hugs from their parents, eating supper, brushing their teeth, taking a bath, putting on their pajamas, reading a book, and all safe and tucked in at the end of the night. Apparently, it is set to the traditional Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star song, but there are definitely some verses new to me. I would ...more
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: space
This book is the traditional nursery rhyme is filled with little critters getting ready for bed and looking out their window. This book can be read in song or in story. As the critters are getting ready for bed it goes through the rituals that most people go through before bedtime. It is great to show children that not only do these critters brush their teeth and get tucked in, we all get tucked in!
OCLS Staff
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Depicts a group of animal friends as they make their way home under the night sky to complete their bedtime rituals with their families.

Dream Big (Summer Reading Program 2012) recommended book

Available from OCLS in print.
Miss Sarah
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
a good retelling of twinkle twinkle little star with pictures of different families of animals doing the actions. A lot to talk about in the pictures. Would be good for younger kids.
Sylvester
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
3* has all the words to the song.
2* art
S
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Phew! I had no idea how long that song was...
Ttonistown

• Wet Cement: A Mix of Concrete Poems
  • How I Spent My Summer Vacation
  • Dusk
  • The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin
  • I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • Bad Kitty Scaredy-Cat
  • The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
Sylvia Long is the illustrator of several books for children including the best sellers Ten Little Rabbits and Alejandro's Gift.
Ms. Long's detailed paintings are inspired by her love of animals and the outdoors. She lives in Arizona.