Start by marking “Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data” as Want to Read:
Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data

Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data

This unique book is geared to help any library keep its website dynamically and collaboratively up-to-date, increase user participation, and provide exemplary web-based service through the power of mashups.

Nicole C. Engard and 25 contributors from all over the world share definitions, tools, techniques, and real life applications. Examples range from ways to allow those w

Published January 1st 2009 by Information Today

To ask other readers questions about Library Mashups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Library Mashups

Eric Phetteplace
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: web services librarians
Shelves: lis-web
Unfortunately, 2009 was ages ago in terms of web services so almost every chapter in Library Mashups suffers a bit. Many links are broken, such as Microsoft's PopFly (popfly.com redirects to the Bing search for popfly, in what is one of the most asinine ways to twilight a service I've ever seen), while others have substantially changed in nature, from Delicious in its new ownership to the more minor changes between SIMILE Exhibit's version 2 & version 3.0. Nonetheless, this book was conceptu ...more
John Porter
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lis
Although after a while my head was reeling from all of the acronyms and terminology, this book is a good demonstration of libraries’ creative use of mashups. Whether used to add value to library services, to access new resources, to improve access to existing resources, or to disseminate the library’s own information, mashups can be cheap, customisable, and dynamic technological solutions.[return][return]Despite the variety of library contexts given in the book, each of the articles reinforces t ...more
Paul Fournier
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
All in all a very interesting insight into how Libraries and Librarians are trying to take advantage of the many opportunities offered by Web 2.0 services. This book was especially helpful for me as I'm new to the world of Libraries as a technology consultant. Some of the content of the book is started to feel a little outdated but such is the nature of trying to write about technology. Regardless, I remain grateful for having all this information conveniently compiled for my convenience.

I'm ver
Jen Johnson
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-science
With each chapter a separate contribution, this title has a good range of mashup difficulty, from embedding Flickr pictures on your website to modifying APIs. One drawback is that the book is now a bit dated (published 2009) BUT there is a new title just out, More Library Mashups, so combined I bet they are a great resource.
Appendix with websites and a glossary of tech terms at the end are a nice addition.
Lisa
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Sadly, I had to return this before I finished. So I'll try again later.
Johanna
Mar 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm reading this for a class I'm taking.

Learned some useful stuff for work, but few library books are thrillingly enjoyable to read.
Cat Fithian
Skimmed. Good resource to remember if working on more web-based projects, using web2.0 to delivery library services or data. Too technical for "average" reader.
Nicole Engard
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data by Nicole C. Engard (2009)
Cal Desmond-Pearson
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Geared to help any library keep its website dynamically/collaboratively up-to-date, increase user participation, provide exemplary web-based service through the power of mashups.
Tina Panik
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Transformative, creative thinking. This book will change the way you deliver content to your patrons.
Jet
Apr 03, 2010
Phil
May 16, 2011
Fred Katz
rated it did not like it
May 26, 2014
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Web based projects
Lisa Pfeffer
Aug 05, 2010
Nicole is the Vice President of Education at ByWater Solutions. In her over ten years in libraries she has dedicated herself to educating librarians about technologies both on her site web2learning.net and in person with a focus on open source. In 2010 she authored 'Practical Open Source Software for Libraries' and regularly writes for various library outlets about open source for libraries.