Start by marking “Beguiled” as Want to Read:
Beguiled

Beguiled

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  3,046 Ratings  ·  321 Reviews
When novelists Deeanne Gist and J. Mark Bertrand first met in a Houston critique group, they never expected where friendship would take them. She wrote romance; he wrote crime novels. But growing respect for each other's work culminated in the decision to try blending their talents into this wonderfully engaging story merging romance and mystery.

Rylee Monroe walks dogs in
Published February 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Beguiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beguiled

Courtney
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I really enjoyed this novel; however, it was rather slower. The way that I would describe this book was to be a decent show that you would get into if it was on, but you wouldn't seek it out to just watch it for the pleasure of it.

The characters were very developed and the story line well thought out. I enjoyed the complexity of the overall plot, I just wish that the climatic ending would have been more throughout the story except for just at the very end.
Amy
May 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Ugh. I’m just going to say it right up front: I did not enjoy this book.

Imagine this scenario. Take Christian aspiring romantic fiction novelist. Combine her with an “acclaimed, yet has only written one book” Christian suspense writer. Now have them write a book combining both of their interests: suspense and describing attractive people.
Yeah. It didn’t work.

Not only was the descriptions of both Rylee and Logan cringingly awkward, but their entire romance was just…ehh. They were cute together a
Angie
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-but-unowned
As a previous reviewer mentioned, this Early Reviewer book had no mention in its description that it is a Christian mystery/fiction. In fact there's nothing in the book's description itself that implied it might have any Christian references or go in any direction other than a romance/suspense. Since I wasn't expecting it, I was surprised when out of the blue there was a mention of Christ and devotional praying suddenly on page 44. It confused me b/c there wasn't another mention for that many mo ...more
Lori
First of all, you need to know that this is not your typical Deeanne Gist novel. It's not Historical; it does not have her trademark "edgy" romance vibe; nor is it really a Romance. I would have to classify it as Mystery/Suspense with a light romantic vein. To me, it felt like this story showed more of J. Mark Bertrand's writing style, since he "comes from a hard-boiled crime thriller background" (as stated on the back cover), than Deeanne's. I kept waiting for her "edgy" romance to shine throug ...more
Dec 26, 2009 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars

I received this book from LIbraryThing's Early Reviewers program.

Rylee Monroe is a dogwalker for the elite in Charleston. When he clients find themselves being robbed by a thief nicknamed "Robin Hood," she finds herself becoming more and more involved as she is the link between the victims.
Logan Woods is the reporter on the story for the paper. He finds himself intrigued by not only the story, but also Rylee.

I found myself liking most of the book, but Rylee's character was a bit of a
Cornelia
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. The characters are so fleshed out and interesting. The heroine is a strong independent woman and an incredibly hard worker she not only takes care of herself she takes care of her elderly grandmother in a nursing home. Her grandmother raised her when her father left and her mother committed suicide when she was young. As the suspense builds and the mystery of her past unfolds we find out that neither are true and she uncovers what really happened to her parents and who was resp ...more
Debbie
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it
"Beguiled" is a Christian romance with a strong suspense element. The romance started out as "Oh, he is sooo handsome, and look at his BMW!" and "Wow, her legs go from here to there in that miniskirt!"--as in, solely physical attraction, but they did eventually get around to appreciating the kindness and other personality traits of each other.

The main characters were very earnest, and they dealt with realistic issues. The suspense was well-written and was mainly created by the threat of physical
Pastoralmusings
Mar 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What do you get when you combine Old South charm, romance, and suspense? BEGUILED by Deeanne Gist and Mark Bertrand.
Rylee Monroe is a young lady whose past haunts her. She's not quite sure about it, and has some memories that lurk just below the surface. In spite of it all she's relatively happy, enjoys her work as a dog walker, and loves taking care of her elderly grandmother.
All of this changes when a series of petty burglaries put her in the spotlight. As a result of this she finds danger and
Wendi
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Beguiled: A Novel
By Deeanne Gist, J.Mark Bertrand

Suspenseful and fast-paced, this first collaboration between Gist and Bertrand, is an action-packed mystery romance. Set in a richly detailed Charlotte, South Carolina, struggling heroine Kylee Monroe is a dog walker with a puzzling past and shackled heart who unwittingly lands smack in the middle of a baffling crime spree.

Local journalist and aspiring book author Logan Woods is covering the story; soon finding himself entangled in more than he
Jane
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This was an author combo book. Deanne usually writes her own historical/romantic fiction. This time there is an element of an unsolved crime. The story has Rylee, dog-walker to the rich in historic Charleston, getting involved with a series of burglaries that just seem to cross her path. She needs this job as she has her only grandmother in a nursing home to take care of. She's trying to make ends meet. Logan Woods is a reporter who is also writing a book based on the burglaries, but can't finis ...more
Candi
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Like all Deeanne Gist books this was well researched, well written, and fun to read. The difference with this book is that it is not historical. I still felt immersed in historic Charleston so it was expanding as well as entertaining. There is a crime spree through the book the the heroine had to figure out while not getting blamed, along with an excellent romance.

Pick this up if you want something fun and engrossing to read, doesn't make you feel like you are wasting your brain, and has a clea
Lisa Brown
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
A mystery with some great romance intertwined, it is the story of Rylee, a dog walker in Charlston, SC, who gets entangled in a series of robberies by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is also at this time that some men get introduced to her life - Logan, the reporter who is searching for a great story, and Karl, the lawyer and old family friend.

I really enjoyed this book, and read it in one day even. It was an easy and entertaining read, and was VERY clean. The characters were grea
Carman
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book definitely has a style that is different from Dee’s normal writing, but that is to be expected since it was co-written. The suspense element was good and the plot ended in a way that I never saw coming. I had guessed one part of the “Robin Hood” thief very early on, but was surprised at how the whole story intertwined with other character’s personal stories. I didn’t connect with this book as well as with Dee’s other books, but I still really liked it. And if Dee and Mark ever write an ...more
Melissa
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is an awesome mix of romance, mystery, and great characters. I love the name of the main character-Rylee. This story is set in Charleston and is about a lady dog walker who works for people that keep getting robbed. The police consider her the prime suspect but a news reporter named Logan is sure she's innocent and someone worth getting to know. The mystery keeps you guessing and the romance is sweet with outgoing corny. Perfect book for me!
Mandy
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK! I think that I have discovered that my favorite genre of book is murder mystery/romance. I just love the suspense of the murder mystery and of course a great love story. Deanne Gist is a Christian author but I love that her entire books aren't religious she just includes enough for her characters to learn a valuable lesson. These colaboration of these two authors was great.Once I picked this book up I could not put it down.
Aerykah
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Super great read! Finished this book in less than a day!
I think the title and cover of this book are a bit deceiving. The two (especially combined) made me reluctant to read the book. In fact, I only went ahead and read it because a friend bought it for me. Just goes to show that it's true that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.
Kristina
Rylee, a dog walker, seems to be surrounded by mysterious circumstances. And when her clients things start to disappear, and her being the common denominator, things become extra fuzzy. Logan, a crime reporter, meets Rylee after being chased by a dog and then is attracted to her and what she holds in answers for the mysterious Robin Hood burglar.

Logan and Rylee try to solve a crime, even when the police destroy Rylee's name in the process. The answers uncovered go far back into Rylee's past and
Pam
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good mystery with romance. Set in Charleston, the main character is Rylee Monroe, a young dogwalker for residents in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods. When she was five, her father disappeared and her mother died of an overdose of pills shortly after. Rylee was raised by her grandmother, who is in a nursing home. Walking one of her dog clients late one night, Rylee suspects she is being followed. The dog chases one of the men up a memorial in the park. This is her introduction to Lo ...more
Sandra
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this author? I love Deeanne Gist. I believe I have read everything she has written, given her mostly 5's and just a couple of 4's. I love her writing and I did not think she could improve. Way to go Deanne and Mr. Bertrand. What a brilliant idea to collaborate on a story. When is your next work of art?
I loved the characters and thought they were well developed. The story line kept me guessing until the very end. But then left me for wanting more. Some of the book was a littl
Jeni Enjaian
I usually love Deeanne Gist's work. I remember being less than impressed the firs time around but holding onto it due to my compulsion to "own ever book" which thankfully I am working on. :) Parts of this book grabbed my attention. However, ultimately, the partnership between Gist and the other author (whose name I forget at the moment and is not listed above) failed. So much of the book, hyped as if it was a suspense novel, fell into tired clichés which even the most ingenue of readers could fi ...more
Amy
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is an interesting book about a dog walker, Rylee Monroe, and her ancestry past, which lead to trouble and a reporter, Logan Woods, who is trying to write a best selling book, while trying to find the Robin Hood burglar, which will finish his book. In the mean time he finds himself in the middle with perhaps the #1 suspect.
Jessica
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This book moved slower than I would have liked at the beginning. I was also disappointed by the lack of romance seeing as it was in that section of the library. I did appreciate the character development and plot line, though. The story was easy to follow and the heroine wasn't a total damsel in distress.
Renee Jo H
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I was looking for the book that the recent movie was based upon when I checked this out. I almost returned it when I realized that it was not the one, but read it instead. It was a pleasant surprise that I enjoyed, especially since I have such a difficult time finding books that hold my attention.
Crystal
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, mystery
I guess I wanted more from this story. I had a good idea how it would play out and wasn't too happy that I was correct. I won't say more as it would contain spoilers. Some elements of the book were worth reading so it was okay.
Amanda Wood
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story, good elements of surprise and mystery
Nicolle
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Kinda boring.
Karen
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story. A thriller without gore and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Lots of suspects and a surprise ending!
Grace
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A good, easy read! Never been the dog walker type myself but this story was engaging.
Tammy Bailey
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit predictable but still a nice quick summer read. I enjoyed it!
  • That Certain Spark (Only in Gooding, #4)
  • A Lady of Secret Devotion (Ladies of Liberty, #3)
  • Digitalis (Discarded Heroes #2)
  • Wind Dancer
  • Lonestar Secrets (Lonestar, #2)
  • The Husband Tree (Montana Marriages, #2)
  • Remembered (Fountain Creek Chronicles, #3)
  • Head in the Clouds
  • Menu for Romance (Brides of Bonneterre, #2)
  • The Bride Backfire (Prairie Promises, #2)
  • Double Trouble (PJ Sugar, #2)
  • Surrender Bay (Nantucket, #1)
Deeanne Gist has rocketed up the bestseller lists and captivated readers everywhere with her original historical and contemporary romances. A favorite among readers and reviewers alike, her popular titles include It Happened at the Fair and Fair Play. Her latest book, Tiffany Girl, is available May 5, 2015.

A popular speaker, Gist’s presentations have been featured on the front page of the Wall St

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)