Start by marking “Beautiful Moon / Bella Luna” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Moon / Bella Luna

Beautiful Moon / Bella Luna

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
With the help of a wish on a moonlit night, a little girl's fantasy becomes reality. In a wink, the beautiful moon understands her desire for a day that never ends and grants her wish. See how constant daylight affects the world around her and eventually the attitude toward her wish. In the end, sometimes what we wish for might not be what we really want. We soon learn tha ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Raven Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Moon / Bella Luna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Moon / Bella Luna

Lisa Vegan
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids who fight going to sleep; for bedtime story time
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
This book is by the same team that wrote & illustrated Vegetable Dreams / Sueno De Verduras, in fact I see that this book came first, although I read the other one right before this one.

This is a wonderful bilingual English-Spanish book, and there’s even a English-Spanish vocabulary list at the back of the book with the words: beautiful, moon, darkness, day, sky, birds, animals, flowers, sunlight, trees, grass, and stars.

The simple story is very poetic. It’s appropriate for the youngest chil
Kathryn
Feb 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Four stars is probably a bit generous, but I really liked the illustrations--they are charming, lovely and a tad quirky with a fresh yet slightly old-fashioned feel. The story itself seemed a bit lackluster for me--it's gentle, but perhaps verging a tad on "boring" at times, about a little girl who loves daytime so much she wishes it never had to end. So, the sun and moon do a bit of orchestrating and she soon learns why nightime is so important for humans, animals and plants to get some much-ne ...more
Betsy
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this seemingly simple, beautiful book. It's a great bed-time story, but it would also be a great discussion book about why we have night-time and what might happen if we didn't. I can see some pretty significant discussions stemming from this short picture book.
Vickie
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully told and illustrated story of a young girl who wants a never ending day. This classic theme of the one who does not want to go to bed at night is expanded with view of how one's actions affect not only oneself, but all surrounding beings and things. I think it could inspire children to think about not only their need for sleep, but respect for the environment and other beings.

Reading it through a second time, I find I like it even more. I agree with another reviewer who said it was
Bridget Allebach
Theme(s): Appreciation, Concepts of night and day
Opening line/sentence:
“The sun sets.
The grass is cool.
I look into the dark indigo night
And see the glow of the beautiful moon.”
Brief Book Summary: A girl looks at the moon and wishes that she could have an endless day where she could play without having to stop. Immediately, the moon disappears and daytime arrives as she plays until she gets tired a
Amy Whitmer
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: libs642
Beautiful Moon / Bella Luna is an English/Spanish bilingual book about a little girl who wishes that night would never come so that she would have more time in the day to do all of the things she wants to do. She quickly finds out that we need night so that we can rest and so that the grass and trees don't burn up under constant sun. Once she comes to this realization, she appreciates the beauty of the moon.

The illustrations in this book are beautiful. The colors are all muted blues, browns, and
Lindsay Rains
Oct 05, 2014 added it
Shelves: libs-642
Jeffers, D. (2009). Beautiful Moon/ Bella Luna [TumbleBook edition]. Retrieved from Tumblebooks.com

LOV

Tumblebooks

This picture book is about a girl who wishes for a day to never end so that she can do more things during the day. The moon grants her wish, but she finds some problems with the sun being out all the time. The wording of the story is simple and the sentences being read are highlighted red on Tumblebook. The narrator does a great job at setting the mood and the illustrations are lovely
Eileen Carter
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is well written, but simple enough for young readers to understand and enjoy. The pictures are beautifully drawn with excellent detail. This book teaches an important lesson to the young girl. There is a time for sun and a time for moon, along with what would happen if we didn't have the moon. How the world would be effected. Teachers will enjoy this book as they will be able to use it as a resource in their classroom to help their students learn about the importance of lunar and solar ...more
Stephanie Mixon
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful story of why the sun and the moon are so important. This books show the job that each does during the night or day. This is such a cute story that shows sometimes what you wish for may not be what's really best.

I would use this for Kindergarten or 1st grade. The text is pretty easy to understand and the illustrations are excellent. This is such a good way to show why the sun and moon are so important.
Rosa
This story has it’s text written on each page in English and in Spanish. A little girl doesn’t want to go to bed she still has so much to do so the moon decides to stay away and give her some extra hours. Eventually after a full day of fun she grows tired and is ready for the moon to come back. Very little text in each language makes this appropriate for younger readers and lots of fun with beautiful illustrations.
Lauren
Oct 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
Book about a girl who is watching the moon come out, but realizes she needs more time in the day to gets things done. She imagines the moon winks at her and the sun comes back out. After playing in the daylight, she understands that we need the night just as much as we need the day. The sun winks and the moon comes back out.

What do we do at night?
What do we do in the day?
Megan
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: k-2nd grade
A girl wishes for a day that never ends. The moon winks and grants her wish. She has fun, but then the world turns brown from too much heat, and she gets exhausted but can't stop to rest. Realizing that night is necessary, the girl now appreciates the nighttime.

Beautiful pictures. Will best be appreciated by thoughtful readers.
Dolly
Feb 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Sweet book that is soothing and has muted, nighttime scenes that will help your child relax and get ready to go to sleep. Perfect to read at bedtime. Our girls enjoyed watching this book read aloud on the "Tumblebooks" online audiobook site (tumblebooks.com).
Jen
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I really liked this book about a young girl who watches the moon come out only to wish that there were more hours in the day to get things done. She then realizes that there is a reason we have night time to recharge.
Stefany Boleyn
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A nice book I used sometimes for my moon & stars storytime. It has both the English and Spanish text, though I kept it to the English for my classrooms. I read it to the 3's-5's. Very nice story with great illustrations.
Stacie
Nov 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, kids-books
For the third grade insomniac - permission to let go of the day and rest.
Colette
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Book a day on TumbleBooks.com, fun book to explain to tired little kids why the day can not last forever, even when they don't seem tired.
Alicia
The illustrations earned an additional star in the rating. The topic is great for my PK students whose learning theme is about changes in the sky.
Theresa
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Beautiful moon. bella luna Dawn Jeffers is a book about what would happen if it was endless day... a little girl finds out the there is a time for everything
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written simple story about what happens when the moon does not rise and daylight prevails for 24 hours. The children were able to follow the story and the illustrations were clear & colorful.
Angela Nelson
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-310
This book talks about why is is important to have both the day and the night. I love the illustrations.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Read with my niece using TumbleBooks on the iPad. She enjoyed following along with the reader. When finished we click the video icon and watched a nonfiction clip on the moon. Nice pairing. P.K.
Kendra
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Wish my Spanish was better so I could tell if the Spanish verse is better than the English. The English feels choppy and mechanical, not at all like the illustrations which are soft and smooth.
Lindsay
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Spanish and English text about the importance of night. I didn't respond at all to the illustrations, which look like something a teenager would draw.
Jimmy G.