Start by marking “The Crossroad (Amish Country Crossroads, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Crossroad (Amish Country Crossroads, #2)

The Crossroad

(Amish Country Crossroads #2)

After writing a story in Amish country, New York journalist Philip Bradley returns to Lancaster County haunted by the memory of a soft-spoken widow he met there, but winning her heart is just the first step in long journey that will require him surrendering his own culture. Simultaneous.
Published September 30th 1999 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Crossroad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crossroad

Start your review of The Crossroad (Amish Country Crossroads, #2)
Jeffrey
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was only my second Beverly Lewis read and after perusing through many of the reviews I was puzzled by some of the negativity in them, especially those who thought the author was over-proselytizing her own peculiar Christian beliefs.

Because this was a sort-of "story within a story," the unusual religious themes were an absolutely essential part of the story in explaining the struggle against some of the darker aspects of the Amish religious traditions.

Maybe I'm just getting old but neither
Mayda
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian, romance, amish
In this second installment in this series, Rachel is beginning to live again, finally moving past her grief. She wants to see again, and even discovers an attraction to the Englisher, Phillip. He in turn, is looking for what Rachel seems to have in her plain life. There is much proselytizing in this story which hinders the plot, making it slow moving. Finally, towards the end, things start to happen, but then, it seems rushed. The plot is thin and the characters lack development, but it does ...more
Beverly Strouth
I love all of Beverly Lewis' books. I have read The Crossroad at least two times and enjoyed it immensely both times.
Paulin
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, fiction
May 31, 2010
My 8th book installment for the month of May. Finished reading The Sequel to The Postcard yesterday but had to process it as I realized that in a way it parallel’s my life during this season of my life.

Can their love dissolve the barrier between two vastly different cultures?

I learned that the crossroads in our lives is actually a road to the cross. The Lord is just waiting for us to take the road to salvation, the road to redemption, and the road to transformation.

It is a step
Jeni Enjaian
I read this book only because the first book in the series avoided being terrible enough for me to place this one in the donate pile without rereading it. Unfortunately, this book continues to be plagued with Lewis' inability to dig deep and explore what true character development actually means. On top of that, the epilogue that concludes each book wraps everything up with a sickeningly sweet deus ex machina turn of events. I will admit that I definitely skimmed this one. I believe that by ...more
Louise
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
A wonderful novel set in the heart of Amish country and the "sequel" to "The Postcard".

"After the dramatic conclusion to his discovery of a long-lost postcard, journalist Philip Bradley simply cannot forget the Amish people he met while on assignment in Pennsylvania-particularly Rachel Yoder and her young daughter, Annie. Rachel's cheerful outlook, in spite of her blindness, and her appealing, uncomplicated lifestyle beckon Philip amid the high-paced existence of his New York career.

Philip's
Catyche
Feb 12, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful. Just awful. Usually Beverly Lewis is a wonderful writer and her books have vivid and beautiful language combined with good plot development with Christian plot lines involving the Amish. But this was just a treatise on Lewis' pentecostal beliefs that didn't make much sense in the context of a young Amish woman's life. This read more like a bizarre recruitment tool rather than an entertaining YA novel dealing with the "Plain" life. Completely unreadable (for me). I expected much better of ...more
Barbara
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beverly-lewis
I love all of Beverly Lewis's Books. I have read almost all of them. She writes so well about the Amish. I learned the same from all her books and that is how the Amish live. She writes just like you are there. It has been a while since I read these books. I usually buy them right when they come out and I read them right away.
Veda
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book when it was first published, then life got in the way and I had never finished it. Beverly Lewis, always writes wonderful books, and this one had a few things happen I wasn't expecting. And the ending was what I was hoping for, but not counting on.
Darlene Nichols
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really did enjoy this story with Rachel and her family in the Postcard and the Crossroad. I really got into each character and felt her pain with her situation. I recommend this series as a good read.
Lori
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amish
Amish fiction at it's best. Always a good clean read. Thank you.
Rebekah Tooley
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
3.5. This was an easy book to read. Clean. I think this is the best out of the 2 books in this series.
Anne Marie
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This book starts where The Postcard ended. Rachel is still blind and living with her parents and daughter Annie at their B&B. Susanna, Rachel’s mother, still believes the powwow doctor, Blue Johnny, can cure Rachel of her blindness with a superstitious spell. But Rachel is determined to do God’s will and pray that she will see again.
Philip Bradley is in New York City at his magazine job, but he can’t get his mind off of Rachel. He’s even researched what can be done for Rachel’s blindness,
Melanie
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy stories about Amish life and faith
Recommended to Melanie by: CBD
I liked this book but The Postcard was a must better story. I do believe that a father's sin has consequences through the third and fourth generation (Ex 20:5 ). But let us not forget Ex 20:6 that says that God will show lovingkindness to a thousand generations that love God and keep His commandments. I believe the author just focused on part of what the Bible says and missed the grace and mercy God demonstrates in the second part of the sentence. It would have been great for the author to bring ...more
Taryn Rai Spearey
Another great book by Beverly Lewis! Philip and Rachel are in love with each other. However, there is one thing standing in the way of them being together; Philip isn't Amish.

Philip does leave Rachel behind and almost goes back to New York. My heart became so full of happiness when he changed his mind and drove back to Rachel. The two make a really nice pair, in my opinion.

One of the best parts of the book for me was when Rachel miraculously received her sight back again. Also, when she looked
Becky
Didn't read the first book, but there was enough exposition that I caught up. The most surprising thing about this book for me is how little it is about a romance between Phillip and Rachel. Phillip is barely in this book. I'm interested in trying a different Amish romance author to see if there is actually any romance in those ones. This book is mostly about how the Old Ordee Amish are wrong about God, which also strikes me as strange. I don't know how representative this book is of the genre, ...more
Ana Lopez
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While I liked the first book in this series I loved this book so much more.
I loved how the relationship developed between Rachel and Phillip and how it didn’t feel rushed or forced, how it just felt so real.

Spoilers ahead!!

I also absolutely loved how the Bishop gets saved and freed by God in his death bed and also how Rachel’s parents also experience God’s forgiveness themselves.
I also loved how Rachel got her sight back and I like that she had to really trust in God to heal her in HIS time.
Eileen Carter
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the sequel to Beverly Lewis "Postcard". Rachel is still unable to see. She desperately wants to see but trusting in the Lord to heal her. She is not interested in the powwow doctor Blue Johnny, even when her mother tries to sneak a healing. Philip can't get over Rachel and the Plain life. He finds himself back in Bird in Hand which in turns finds him seeing Rachel again. What will become of this? Is there chance of love ? Will Rachel ever see?
This book is a great read whether you
Mom
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Carlene DeNae
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is was so good! It reminded me just how much I love romance. It was such a good story of love taking precedence over whatever differences be had. I also would like to mention how great of a Christian story this was. There was kind of a whole revival within this book, which delighted me as I read. Overall, this book is one of my new favorite books. I‘m so happy to have discovered a new favorite author in Beverly Lewis!
Debbie Fraaken
Jun 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was disappointed in this book for several reasons: 3 story lines happening interwoven into each other. The author brought them all to a conclusion in the epilogue, which seemed rushed. Usually, there is a lesson to be learned and this one fell flat. Usually Beverly Lewis's books are about Grace and Forgiveness vs. man-made regulations and working your way to being saved.
Heather
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wasn't a big fan of the powwow focus and not in agreement on some of the theology related to that topic. The story just wasn't that engaging to me. I felt some characters made abrupt changes that I didn't find convincing. Still it was an okay read, but no desire to read again.
Bruce Bezanson
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good Lancaster County book.
Josephine
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was wonderful to see dark arts being tackled.
Sylvia
I loved this book!! Great story!! Can't wait to read the next book in the series!! Love this author's books!!
Megan Rang
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the second book in this series many people find their way through Christ.
Dianna Shimizu
Mar 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: general-fiction
I've read several books by this author and enjoyed them, but not this time. The best description I can think of is 'cloying'.
Amanda
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this conclusion to the story.
Di Schlenk
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lots of twists and turns in this Amish book, a great read
Sterling N Beavers
Resolutions Unlimited!!

Lots of great research and reality schemes that are convoluted and come to resolve with amazing faith and conviction. A must read. It smiles me :).
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Christian Book Gi...: Amish book giveaway 1 10 Jul 18, 2015 06:33PM

• Plain Perfect (Daughters of the Promise, #1)
  • Leah's Choice
  • The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets #1)
  • When the Heart Cries (Sisters of the Quilt, #1)
  • Sarah's Garden (Patch of Heaven, #1)
  • The Bishop's Daughter (Daughter of Lancaster County, #3)
  • The Forgiving Jar (The Prayer Jars #2)
  • Plain Proposal (Daughters of the Promise, #5)
  • A Quiet Strength (A Prairie Legacy, #3)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
  • A Cousin's Promise (Indiana Cousins, #1)
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • When the Morning Comes (Sisters of the Quilt, #2)
  • A Sister's Secret (Sisters of Holmes County, #1)
  • Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3)
  • The Quilter's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #2)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • Anna's Return

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous

Amish Country Crossroads (3 books)
  • The Postcard (Amish Country Crossroads, #1)
  • Sanctuary