Start by marking “Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady, #7)” as Want to Read:
Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady, #7)

Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady #7)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  3,560 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
Johanna Brady, young widow, devoted mom, and Sheriff of Cochise County, Arizona, is a tough cop who gives no ground to lawbreakers. But now she's dealing with some big-time political maneuvering that could let someone get away with murder.

When an elderly widow is found dead in the Arizona desert, it's easy enough to pin the killing on the teens caught driving her car acro
Published (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Outlaw Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outlaw Mountain

Barbara

In this 7th book in the series Sheriff Joanna Brady investigates the death of Alice Rogers, a wealthy older woman gruesomely murdered in the Arizona desert. Alice's self-absorbed arrogant son and belligerent daughter direct suspicion at Alice's boyfriend Farley Adams - who soon makes himself scarce.

At the same time Joanna has to contend with rabid environmentalists who oppose a building project whose approval may have involved some chicanery and corruption. To add to the chaos Joanna inadverten
Donna
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
This book was a solid three stars for me. I like J A Jance. She has created a strong female MC and plenty of strong supporting characters. They all work well together. Joanna role is nicely written. She is the local sheriff. She is flawed but strong and genuinely cares about the people. She comes across as very real.

However, I had two problems with this. One was the dialog. It just wasn't as strong as it has been in other books of hers. Some of it was redundant and some of it was fluff. The oth
Richard Brand
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like it. I know it is a little too pat, a little too pollyanna, a little too happy ending to every crisis. Brady is a little too good to be believed, and life for them seems to find solutions to problems pretty quickly and smoothly, but it was a good read. There were some surprises in the plot. The mystery had a number of different story lines that moved along. There was romance and love. There were some tough decisions and unhappiness. There were a number of deaths and evil and criminal activ ...more
Karen
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance, thriller
Come to find out I had already listened to this book and forgot to enter it in Goodreads! HA serves me right.
But I enjoyed it again.
Sheriff Brady is able to pack in to just a few short days, a couple of murders, a lost disabled man, a man on the run and uninvited romantic advances. Wow... I would much rather read about all that than to be the one doing it.
This book in the series is filled with all kinds of new and exciting events for the Sheriff as well as those around her.
YAY
Paris        (kerbytejas)
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
a 3.75 star read for me which i'll round up to 4 stars...lots of humanity included in this book. Butch is unbelievable, I wan t a man like him around the house.
Mary
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love J A Jance books. This is an excellent Joanna Brady mystery
Eric_W
Nancy Ellis
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very enjoyable series with likable characters and good story lines. I enjoy all of her books!
Chris
Bookmom
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If there was an easy straight-forward answer to the guilty party we wouldn’t have much of a story. But as with all of the books in this series, the path to the truth leads Sheriff Joanna Brady and her understaffed/overworked department in a number of directions and it’s interesting to see how the various threads get us there. This is made more difficult as the know-it-all newly elected Sheriff of Pima County doesn’t want to cooperate with Cochise County’s Sheriff’s department regarding the death ...more
Shirla Mcqueen
Jun 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am really struggling with some of these early books and what I perceive to be the laziness in character development. I was really troubled by some of the characters drawing a correlation between Junior's developmental disabilities and Marliss's willingness to believe that equated to pedophilia. I get that the Sheriff and Marliss's don't get along, but this was just taking it too far. Equally disturbing to me was Joanna's gratitude that Jenny and Butch were nice to Junior, like this is somethin ...more
Dolores
I've always liked JA Jance's books. This one takes place Cochise County in Arizona. Sheriff Joanna Brady is busy with a missing person crime turned murder and has to work with the Pima County team of law enforcement when Alice Rogers, a 70 something lady, goes missing and later found murdered in the desert in Pima County. Meanwhile, Alice's daughter Susan Jenkin's goes to her mothers home in Cochise County to see if she's there and finds the home ransacked.

This is one really good book. I like Ja
Joan
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio
Megargee
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seventh novel in the Sheriff Brady series advances Joanna's relationship with Butch Dixon and introduces a new continuing character, Junior, a developmentally disabled adult whose caretakers abandon him at a Special Olympics competition. The intricate plot involving numerous characters and multiple homicides has more twists and turns than a sidewinder on a sandy slope but Jance moves it along and ties up all the numerous threads by the end. Driven more by plot than character, this is nonet ...more
Sheila
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is # 7 in the Sheriff Joanna Brady series. In this book she finds herself chasing down the secrets of the family of an elderly widow who is found dead in the desert impaled on a cactus. She is concurrently involved in a local land dispute (graft and corruption) and trying to hold her personal life together.

The old lady collecting rattlesnakes in her car trunk to sell them to supplement her social security was a favorite scene for me. Never a dull moment for Sheriff Brady in Cochise County,
Carol Anderson
Well this one was definitely exciting. It had it all; lots of drama, murder, environmentalists, marriage proposal, lost & found (Junior), funeral, Dicks resignation (I'm wondering about that since he was obsessed with Joanna) we'll see. Also Joanna got herself more physically involved with her "know how to defend herself I MEAN. when did she learn that -hopping with legs duck taped, head butting, shooting tires out, she a new sheriff not a seasoned one with experience. Oh yeah it's written i ...more
Sandra Strange
Good series set in the country area where my daughter, Jana, lives. I like the characterization and the ideals. The mysteries are good puzzles, realistic, with a hint of jeopardy and adventure. They are for mature readers, with some language and frankness about feelings and sexuality (very tasteful and not usually explicit). This novel begins when a feisty oldster falls into a horrific cactus. Then, as she lies writhing on the ground, an evil villain kills her.
Pam Koenig
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by J A Jance, and I loved it. Well developed story, good characters, with more than one mystery woven throughout. I'm sure it would make more sense to read the series in order, but a neighbor lent me some of her books, and this book, was the earliest in the series included. The author does give you some backstory, so your not totally in the dark. I will definitely read the rest of the series, starting with the first
Jenn
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Joanna Brady. The navigates her way through being Sheriff, Mom, daughter and friend. In this story she is surrounded by liars, druggies, murderers, etc. She feels overwhelmed with it all but by her side is Butch who proposes to her over the phone between crime scenes. She agrees most ungraciously but decides she is happy and does want to marry him. Happily her family is happy for her and very supportive.
Marti
Jul 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is one of a series about Sheriff Joanna Brady, and i'm sure that i read another one before. they are pleasant books, if you can say that about ones that deal with murder. the characters are interesting as is the setting, since i've never been to the southwest.

the chattanooga times especially praises j.a. jance sayint that she "is among the best--if not the best--mystery novelists writing today." i think there are others just as good, but she is not bad.
Stacey
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Joanna Brady books are really growing on me. I've read almost all of the JP Beaumont series and I've really enjoyed them and I wasn't overly impressed with the the first couple of books but the series and the likeable characters are becoming familiar and fun to read.

This book was a good story with just enough of a twist but still a little predictable. Maybe it's the little love story between Joanna and Butch, I don't know. I just found myself smiling a lot during my reading.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Joanna Brady, sheriff in Cochise County, Arizona, is an awesome series. First she is elected sheriff after the death of her husband, and she finds his murdered. The murders continue from book to book in the series. Good intriguing plots and well developed characters. Modern western mystery fans should enjoy this series. Give Ms. Jance's other series a try as well - JP Beaumont and Ali Reynolds.
Linda Watkins
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Sheriff Joanna Brady book, in this J.A. Jance series. Like the others it is an enjoyable read. In each of these books, I now notice there is a plot which takes Sheriff Brady into her duties & in danger. There is also a subplot of her life & those around her. Because of the subplots these books need to be read in order. I really enjoyed this book. It a easy read, mystery. Not great literature but enjoyable.
Betty410
Joanna Brady the sheriff in Arizona, finds herself chasing down the secrets of the family of an elderly widow who is found dead in the desert. She is concurrently involved in a local land dispute (graft and corruption) and trying to hold her personal life together. Sheriff Brady has an uncanny sensitivity to people and manages to diffuse impossible situations with practical common sense.
In the middle of all this she has set a marriage date with the approval of her daughter, Jenny.
Diane
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, mystery
This is throne where Joanna and Butch get engaged. There are several intertwined mysteries and a completely separate subplot, plus the personal stories of the continuing characters. A lot of the message seemed to deal with hoe society treats the vulnerability of the elderly, and the developmently disabled. I read an ebook version which had lots of annoying typos.
Mum
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This plot was rather complex. There were enough typos and editing errors to keep me on my toes. Farley was called Parley in parts of the tale. The subplots are interesting, but somehow add some unevenness to the story. I think Joanna needs to have someone make her a sampler that says, "life happens while we are making other plans."
Mary
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 3&1/2 stars book. I just couldn't give it 4 stars. It started off ok but by the middle of the story so much was going on it was hard to follow. I really like this series and the recurring characters but this book was off for me. The ending was a bit muddled as well. I am way behind on the series but will continue reading it and hoping the next book gets things back on track.
Alger
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A messy combination of romance novel, crime novel, and tourist guide. There is just so much that is out of whack with this novel, starting with but not ending with the obviousness of the many subplots.

Still, it is what it is, and the mystery parts are handled in a proper police procedural manner. I recommend to anyone, just skip over the personal drama and read it for the sturdy crime parts.
Leila
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Outlaw Mountain' at one point made me laugh out loud and another brought tears to my eyes. Towards the end I was almost breathless as Johanna confronted suspects in her case without backup.
OK..... I am so attached to Sheriff Johanna Brady and the rest of the 'cast' I can see this is going to be a Jance marathon!
Nancy
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An evil son-in-law, drugs, spousal cheating and greed try to overshadow kind acceptance of an abandoned special needs man, love family and friendship. Joanna tells off her mother and declares she will marry Butch. Dick resigns from the sheriff's office.

Lots of Sierra Vista settings, an area I'm very familiar with. I really liked this 7th book in the Joanna Brady series.
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Fallen Man (Leaphorn & Chee, #12)
  • Death Qualified (Barbara Holloway #1)
  • Love Lies Bleeding (China Bayles, #6)
  • Desert Noir (A Lena Jones Mystery #1)
  • Firestorm (Anna Pigeon, #4)
  • Dangerous Attachments
  • A Brace of Bloodhounds
  • Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

Joanna Brady (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1)
  • Tombstone Courage (Joanna Brady, #2)
  • Shoot Don't Shoot (Joanna Brady, #3)
  • Dead to Rights (Joanna Brady, #4)
  • Skeleton Canyon (Joanna Brady, #5)
  • Rattlesnake Crossing (Joanna Brady, #6)
  • Devil's Claw (Joanna Brady, #8)
  • Paradise Lost (Joanna Brady, #9)
  • Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)
  • Exit Wounds (Joanna Brady, #11)