Start by marking “Accounting Made Simple: Accounting Explained in 100 Pages or Less” as Want to Read:
Accounting Made Simple: Accounting Explained in 100 Pages or Less

Accounting Made Simple: Accounting Explained in 100 Pages or Less

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  4,018 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Find all of the following explained in Plain-English with no technical jargon: The Accounting Equation and why it's so significant How to read and prepare financial statements How to calculate and interpret several different financial ratios The concepts and assumptions behind Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) Preparing journal entries with debits and credits ...more
Published December 18th 2012 by Simple Subjects (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Accounting Made Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Accounting Made Simple

Baqer Al-katab
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very simple introduction to beginners supported by examples for most important basics of accounting.
Tun Win Naing
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It really explain basic accounting concept in under hundred pages. Not too much detail but you will have good overview of the accounting system of a small business.
Cristian Strat
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Accounting made simple but a little bit too simple

This short book will help you understand the basics of financial statements and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. It's a nice introduction but it felt way too light. It doesn't strike the right balance between brevity and usefulness.
David
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
Compact and concise, this is probably the best option for those who just want a refresher of accounting. Although I felt like it was lacking in some areas (mainly how to financial statements change over time), I guess I can't really complain because there is only so much you can fit in 100 pages...

Pros:
+ Truly a fast read (can finish in an hour)
+ Hits the basics but nothing more
+ Easy reference material (e.g., well-defined chapters, summary section at the end of every chapter)

Cons:
- Lacking in s
Chandan Kumar
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I came across this book through Amazon's suggestion while purchasing Thomas Ittelson's popular title. A few reviews were raving about its simplicity; so I thought to have a go at it too.

True to its words, the book is a beautiful primer and a good beginning point for lessons in Accounting. In 100 pages, it does a fantastic job of giving a quick glance through all types of financial statements, and why they are presented in that fashion. Starting from why owner's equity often is nothing more than
Kristin Hopper
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a great super simple read that I picked up for a coworker that wants to learn accounting and has no experience. I wanted to read it before giving it to her to ensure it wouldn't be completely confusing. For a novice, it's great because each chapter has a brief example of what the accounting procedure would look like in a business setting.

If you're looking to take the CPA exam, this book isn't for you. It's just a VERY broad overview of accounting. Think of this as the cliff notes version o
Adam
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hot dang, learned a thing or two!

Of digestible intro books consumed this one is by far the best. The author in truth knows their biz to such a degree as to get right at the essence. No nonsensical, "and here's the more complicated case...". Just straight up leaves that road for a different text.

Learn to be an accountant from here? 9.

Curious about the general idea at the most general level? Yes.

Great for the bus.
Powell Omondi
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book contains key concepts that been clearly outlined, which is easy for one to understand, especially on deciphering financial statement and financial ratios. I would recommend it to those who have a non-financial background, it will be worth your time to understand the basics and the building blocks.
Joe Rigsby
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read

The only problem that I had was that a few pages were messed up in the reader. Despite that, it was an excellent introduction to accounting. It dispelled some of the mysticism, and rectified some misconceptions that I held.
Rob Moore
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A good, quick overview of basic accounting principles. A good read if you are trying to get an overview of what accounting is and how people go about doing it. Also includes some great examples that make the learning concrete.
Kate
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skill-building
Easy, useful

Super basic intro to accounting and bookkeeping. I already knew most of the information, but this book pulled it all together. Recommended if you're starting a business. Took me 3 days to read through at a casual pace.
Jesse Jones
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very concise overview of the fundamentals of accounting. Easy to understand examples of basic account principles with no fluff.

It’s a good mini reference to keep on hand, if an accounting term is brought up.
Bek Graham
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A useful tool to understanding the principles of accounting. It assisted me with reading spreadsheets and incorporating basic functions of accounting into my budgets.
Eric
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good basic primer to accounting. Not a ton of detail, but if you're brand new to accounting it's a good way to get your feet wet.
Abby Edgerton
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This book provides clear and simple information to help the average individual understand the basics of accounting. The Kindle Edition on Amazon is free!
Mari
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Job interview primer! I picked this up to review before a job interview so I could at least speak the language. It's a really quick, easy and understandable read.
Devon Stovall
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The basics

If you were in college this would be the bases of your first accounting class. It's very simple and gets the point across.
Kamil Rudnicki
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quick and easy read for basics of accounting in US.
Anh Lý
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is a very simple accounting on the go. Yet it has all necessarily basic information for beginners. Good for looking back on the matter.
Bartosz Jaszewski
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
For the very beginners in accounting, the primer to author`s blog. Even a little to simple, even for beginners. ...more
Jayson Virissimo
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book delivered exactly what was promised: a no-fluff intro to accounting principles and terminology.
Doan Huong
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This amazing book is for accountants and non-accountants to read, dive in, and understand accountancy.

BBT Digital
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
CashManager Accounting Software is New Zealand's Smart Accounting Software. With desktop and online options available, CashManager makes accounting easy!
Amy Shane
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Informative but dry
Robert Soule
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Concise and to the point

This book provided me with a crash course on the accounting world. It was an excellent refresher and this book can easily be read in just a few sittings.

I suppose the only think feel to make note, and the author even says this in the introduction, is that this book couldn't possibly cover all there is to know about accounting. As the the title would suggest, there is a lot more to learn, and a lot more in depth these topics can be. With that being said, I think this book
Benjamin
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey, there is no such thing as an exciting accounting book for someone not in CPA school, so this is the next best thing; everything you need, and nothing more, so you can read about something else. It has not one chapter, not one sentence, that is not necessary to get the 10-15 high points across that will make you understand the basics of accounting.

The organization, brevity, and end of chapter reviews are a model for anybody else writing about book about a field like accounting where essenti
Chris Bumpas
I'm currently pursuing an MBA degree from Texas Tech and am without a business background (environmental science undergrad). This semester I am taking financial and managerial accounting. Since the class will be my first encounter with any sort of accounting, I wanted to prepare myself somewhat. This book was able to provide me with a little knowledge of very basic accounting principles that I feel will be very beneficial for my upcoming class. At least now I won't be going in completely blind.
Glenn Rumfellow
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book provides a terrific overwiew of accounting. I never took accounting in school, and have been picking up what I can from books over the 20 years of my career as an IT professional. Now that I'm working with SAP software, which has accounting as its core functionality, I felt the need to put together the pieces into a more cohesive holistic view. This concise book was just what I needed. I highly recommend it!
Amanda
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
Highly recommended, this book is an excellent introduction to accounting for those who are not very well acquainted with the field. The length makes it less intimidating, and I definitely feel like I'm ready to tackle longer books devoted to the subject. As this book gave a good, brief overview, I feel like with other books I'll be able to skip forward to the key parts without worrying that I'm missing out on the basics.
Suzy
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book does a fantastic job of very efficiently booking down Accounting fundamentals into "100 pages or less".

As someone not interested in pursuing Accounting professionally, I just needed to know enough to read financial statements and glean insight from them, and now I feel confident doing just that, as well as gaining valuable inspiration for creating key performance indicators for our company (unexpected bonus!).

Definitely recommend!
  • Essentials of Accounting
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepreneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
“Intangible assets are real, identifiable assets that are not physical objects.” 1 likes
“Accumulated Depreciation is what’s known as a “contra account,” or more specifically, a “contra-asset account.” 0 likes