Start by marking “Glass Ceilings and 100-Hour Couples: What the Opt-Out Phenomenon Can Teach Us about Work and Family” as Want to Read:

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
When significant numbers of college-educated American women began, in the early twenty-first century, to leave paid work to become stay-at-home mothers, an emotionally charged national debate erupted. Karine Moe and Dianna Shandy, a professional economist and an anthropologist, respectively, decided to step back from the sometimes overheated rhetoric around the so-called m ...more
Published October 15th 2009 by University of Georgia Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Glass Ceilings and 100-Hour Couples, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glass Ceilings and 100-Hour Couples

Kara
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kara by: Ashlee
Shelves: non-fiction, business
As a young woman in business (unmarried and childless), this book TERRIFIED me. I didn't pick my career thinking about what will be best for when I have children. I like working a lot. Hell, I don't even know if I like children. And this book methodically (and using statistics) told me about women just like me who found themselves "opting out." They left the workforce (or significantly reduced their participation in it) after they had children even though they loved their careers and were succee ...more
C
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I suddenly started worrying about having to give up my career in the next 10 years in order to raise a family. So I started looking for inspiration and borrowed this book from the library. This book was inspirational in that it gave what I thought was a nuanced description of the phenomenon, a comprehensive overview of the cultural and economic consideration that cause women and their families to make this decision, and a thorough discussion of the issues that come up for many of the women who c ...more
Kristen
Sep 29, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a very clear, forthright, and readable book for a university press publication. My only complaint is that I wish the authors presented some possible solutions, or if that's not realistic, at least indulged in a bit more brainstorming and wish-list-presenting of some ways to address the wants and needs of working women (I know that stay at home moms certainly work too, but for lack of a better term, I'll use "working woman") beyond freelancing and part-time work, which may not be viable o ...more
Joan
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book reflects my experience as someone who once had a "professional" career, then spent 5 years as a stay-at-home mom, then struggled back to the paid workforce by going into business for myself. It does a good job of pretty evenhandedly describing the challenges of living in a society that as they put it "treats children as pets, placing the full burden of raising the next generation squarely on the shoulders of the nuclear family" - despite the fact that "parents who raise the next genera ...more
Katie
Dec 02, 2009 rated it liked it
A quick and interesting read. It's not often you get to read an anthropological examination of your own lifestyle, but that's what this is -- a study of women (including college-educated, professional women) who have chosen to take some time out of the workforce to raise kids and what that says about the work-life balance issues faced by working women.

There were a few times when the tone felt condescending -- repeated mention of those who just can't figure out why a woman would just drop out of
The Sapphic Nerd
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it
It's interesting looking at the reasons behind the trend of women opting-out of the workforce, leaving their careers in favour of being stay-at-home moms, and the challenge they face if/when they decide to re-enter the workforce after being away.

The writing is fairly dry and I wouldn't have made it that far if I hadn't been forced to read it for one of my classes. I'd have preferred something more concise... like, the length of an article instead of an entire book. But oh well.

It's decent for wh
Hillary
May 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This topic is fascinating to me, plus I took Econ 19 with Karine almost 10 years ago. I was excited to read this book and it didn't disappoint.

The style's a little more academic than I'm used to these days, but the content is food for thought for any women contemplating her place in the workforce.
Abby
Oct 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Actually maybe 3 1/2 stars. I can't say I *really* liked it, just because it was kind of depressing! But unfortunately it did seem an accurate portrayal of my own decisions and those of many women I know.
Kim
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think women will find something personal in this book no matter what choices they have made in the career/family trajectory. And, knowing that other women have faced similar (difficult or not) choices is comforting though I'd still have liked to "have it all."
Liz
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-books
Really comprehensive book about the history of 'opting out' and women's choice to stay at home with kids, continue working, or do something in between.
Bonnie
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
fantastic and well-written; unfortunately, not a how-to with an internal locus of control.

damn the man.
Sylvia
Mar 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Engrossing scholarly survey of how women's careers are affected when they have children. Who do you think picks up the children most often when they are sick at school?
Susan
Apr 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Good, scholarly, well written but didn't learn very much new.
Peg