Start by marking “Space Station Rat” as Want to Read:
Space Station Rat

Space Station Rat

(Space Station Rat #1)

A lavender rat that has escaped from a laboratory, and a lonely boy whose parents are scientists, meet on an orbiting space station, communicate by email, and ultimately find themselves in need of each other's help and friendship.
Published June 1st 2005 by Holiday House (first published 2005)

Travis
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, humble-bundle
This was a very amusing book. I read the audio version, and the narrator did a very good job of giving different voices to the various characters, including the rat, and it made the book actually more amusing. Other than the fact that it took place on a space station, there really wasn't all that much science fiction in the tale, but it was still fun to read, so that makes it recommended to anyone who enjoys amusing stories with a science fiction backdrop. And, of course, it'd probably a great r ...more
Shawn Ridenour
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Space Station Rat was a very fun short adventure that bears a passing resemblace to a Rat of NIMH in space.
April 2010 Cover to Cover Discussion title.

Have you ever wondered what it might be like to live on a space station? Jeff thought it was going to be awesome, full of excitement and special activities, like the space walk he and his Dad are supposed to be training for while Mom works on her super important solar data tracking. The truth: thanks to Mom’s assistant Doctor Krosta getting sick at exactly the wrong time, everyone, even Dad, is way too busy doing important science stuff to do anything e
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Space Station Rat is a fun science fiction book that kids will enjoy. After all, what's not cool about a genetically engineered rat with lavender hair? Heck, I want one! As for the story, it is quick and entertaining. There is a lot of action in the story and it is interesting seeing the world through a rat's eyes, even if they have been genetically engineered.

As for Nanny, the menacing robot, there is obviously something wrong with it and it is not firing on all circuits. But if you look at it
Liz Henry
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book for grade school or middle school kids! It's about an intelligent rat on a space station who stowed away when she escaped from a lab. She can type and speak in sign language. There's also a lonely, frustrated boy on the space station who gets an unexpected pen pal.

This wasn't super deep or full of serious trauma or gore. The writing style was okay! It was a quick read. Milo really liked it and brought it to me to recommend that I read it right away!
Lucas
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a good book about the complications of living in space. I loved how the author added a lot of detail to this book but left enough room for some really suspenseful action. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good story, but it takes a small amount of space know-how to really understand everything going on.
Ethan Ahlstrom
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was great. One I read the first page, I knew it was the thing I was looking for. The characters get very developed in the book, but it's very easy to understand what they're like. You can't tell exactaly what they're going to do because they are so real. It's not cartoony at all. Every was perfect, except for when rat hopped on the Keys and "wrote a macro virus". Just like that.
Mandy
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A brief summary:
Jeff lives a lonely life on a space station with parents who are too busy with their scientific studies to give him any attention. He befriends a pen pal through emails and come to a shocking discovery that his pen pal is a rat aboard his ship!
Jonah S
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good book because it said alot about space and i like space. it kept you on the edge of your seat the whole time. i think everybody will like this book. i loved it but not a super lot.
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
WHY: A lonely boy on a space ship finds an email pen pal. Little does he know that it's a lab rat who accidentally stowed away on the space ship! She's starving and not about to trust humans again after her lab time, so she's trying to trick him.
Catherine
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read the sequel first, and I think I enjoyed that one a little more than the first volume. However, this title is a solid start to a series that I hope will give us Volume 3 sometime soon.
LIZ
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An eccelent book, the rat was an easy to associate with charactor, and the storyline was very well constructed.
Krystl Louwagie
This book made me miss my rat. It was pretty simply written, a book for younger audiences and didn't go too deeply into much. I think I would've liked a little more depth, loved the concept.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Listened to the audiobook. Space station antics involving an escaped lab rat, a 12-year-old son of scientists, and a robot.
Mayumi
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Livrinho curtinho e muito gostosinho de ler (eu ouvi o audiolivro, que é bem produzido e o narrador faz um bom trabalho com as vozes de cada personagem). Adorei a rata de laboratório.
Sylvia
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Intelligent rat befriends lonely boy.
Richard
Danielle
Feb 13, 2010
Apr 13, 2013
Reading Bear
rated it did not like it
Jul 05, 2017
Feb 11, 2016
Jessica Liem
Oct 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
I have enjoyed a life-long love of science, machines, and science fiction. These passions inform my fiction and non-fiction writing with a unique spirit. I am currently branching out with easy readers, the fulfillment of a long held dream begun with the discovery of the Frog & Toad books. My third passion is energy issues and with the help of my wife, Jessie Haas, we built a solar powered cabi ...more

Space Station Rat (2 books)
  • Rat Trap