Start by marking “The Musician's Way: A Guide to Practice, Performance, and Wellness” as Want to Read:
The Musician's Way: A Guide to Practice, Performance, and Wellness

The Musician's Way: A Guide to Practice, Performance, and Wellness

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  418 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
In The Musician's Way, veteran performer and educator Gerald Klickstein combines the latest research with his 30 years of professional experience to provide aspiring musicians with a roadmap to artistic excellence. Part I, Artful Practice, describes strategies to interpret and memorize compositions, fuel motivation, collaborate, and more. Part II, Fearless Performance, ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published August 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Musician's Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Musician's Way

Elle
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent guide for any musician or performer. It is full of invaluable advice and secrets from professionals and teachers that are in print for the first time. The practice section is extremely helpful for scheduling, managing and improving the quality of practice. The performance section was so helpful to me in learning how to deal with nerves and I would recommend it to everyone, I mean EVERYONE. Stage fright does not need to be debilitating, and once you analyze, prepare, and keep ...more
Eleanor
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: never-finished
Yet another "how to be a musician" book. This came highly recommended and I think I would feel more "wow"ed if I hadn't already read numerous books on sports psychology which express a lot of the same ideas in a more scientific and clear light. It's always worth my time to keep reading these things though, you never know what little gems you might find. One of my favorites so far is "Ease of performance begins in the mind." Yes yes yes! So obvious yet so often overlooked. This gets a bit boring ...more
David
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music, poetry
Kathleen
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music, essays
Gerald Klickstein has done an incredible thing for all aspiring professional musicians: he has written a book that combines creative practice techniques with a genuine concern for artistic wellness while simultaneously shattering the myth that musicians (especially young musicians) need to spend their lives in practice rooms in order to succeed. Without indulging in platitudes, he manages to drive home the notion that the quality of practice far outweighs the quantity of practice (though the qua ...more
Joe
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
The “Musician’s Way” is a comprehensive manual for becoming a musician. It covers pretty much everything you need to do to become a serious musician. It is a rather dry book but as a musician I was able to cull many ideas to help improve my practice routines and performance. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in becoming a serious musician.
Cynthia Wood
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book. It gives some of the most clear and detailed instruction on performing and how to construct a practice that will lead to good, repeatable performances I've ever run into anywhere. Equally applicable to piano and voice, and should apply to other instruments as well. Good stuff!
Mona
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are gems in the pages of The Musician's Way.

Pages upon pages of invaluable and excellent advice. The plans are clear, specific and practical.

Anne
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I like this book's concept very much. Klickstein is analyzing many of the ancillary (and often overlooked) skills that go into being a musician, and that's unusual and welcome. But the book I want to read is not this one. The book I want to read is grounded in science as opposed to received wisdom and marshals research evidence in support of its conclusions. It's also positively framed (less a catalog of prospective pitfalls). Still waiting.
Marshall
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book covers different aspects of what it means to be a musician. The author talks in depth about practice techniques, musical mentality, teamwork, etc. I benefit about by reading about great practice methods and musical mentality. The book makes me pay more attention on how I practice piano every day. Also, it makes me aware of my “musical inner voice” - what musical goals I communicate to myself, how I perceive my progress and accomplishments.

Great quotes:

musical progress depends more on p
Phil
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Lots of good, solid advice in this book. It focuses exactly on what it says: practice, performance, and wellness. It doesn't get into specifics, just general insights for anyone who takes the craft of music seriously enough to grow as a musician. I would have given it five stars, but the fact is it was a little dry and hard to get through.
Hailey Pettinger
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely fantastic! I would recommend this book to any musician looking to improve their skills. It was so informative and covered so many relevant topics. It is definitely a book I will refer back to for many years!
Tess Austin
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really great practice tips
Doni
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mariott
This book has very detailed advice for practicing and performing music, but it will suck the life out of you!
John
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The relationship of learning, practice, and mastery in the case of musicianship is explored thoroughly in "The Musician's Way: A Guide to Practice, Performance, and Wellness." Written especially for classical and jazz instrumentalists and vocalists at the university level, the book nevertheless provides important lessons for musicians of widely diverse levels and backgrounds.

Klickstein discusses how to plan for and move through the “five practice zones”: tackling new material, refining and devel
Modern Chakra
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
A wonderful book for helping one discover and express their inner passion and talents. The author clearly understands Easter principals as well as Western demands and not only gives wonderful insight to the reader and musician but provides actual guidance tips and breathing exercises to further illustrate the point of finding your flow. These ideals, The Flow, first talked about provide the individual with a moment of harmony with their environment and their art. There is no time and the express ...more
Vicki
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
As a professional piano teacher, this book is an odd smattering of information new and old to me. Of the three main parts, the first, Artful Practice, didn't contain much new information or insights on how to practice but is a lovely concise summary of how to practice. The second, Fearless Performance, has more helpful insights but is oriented towards someone who intends to perform for a living. The last part, Lifelong Creativity, is focused on injury prevention and had all kinds of useful bits ...more
Christian Crowley
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The target audience for this book appears to be conservatory musicians at the start of their schooling. As such, it assumes the reader will be devoting several hours a day to music, which is more than I can budget, alas.

There is a companion website and blog with some interesting resources, and the author is very responsive. He returned my e-mail the next day with some suggestions.

Now that I've finished the book, I'm planning to go through it again. I'll start with the final section about develop
Louie J.
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book professes to cover a lot of ground, and doesn't really do so, but it has several good ideas (more than most). If it weren't touting itself as the go-to book for musicians, I'd be more impressed. Like other books of the genre, I've used a few ideas from this book. I did find some sections were not very helpful and seemed like filler, written for the sake of completeness. It also seems to be most suitable for the young student (under 30) who is starting in a music school, though much of ...more
Gilbert Glenn
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just a few notes, I think the book is more intended for reference than for reading front to back. I think this has a lot of useful information for me specifically getting a degree in music. The format of the book gets old really fast so I advise to just read some sections every once in a while so you can really take in the information.
Gail
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book for both professional and serious amateur musicians. It is more of a reference book than a read-through, so I'm putting it in my Read shelf. It is dense with ideas, best appreciated in small and slow doses, and bears repeated visitations. I'll be reading it for a long time!
Scott Miles
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you are a musician, or aspire to be a musician, you would be doing yourself a great disservice by failing to read this book and live by the counsel Gerald Klickstein provides. "The Musician's Way" is a reference that I expect to use for years to come.
Angela McCuiston
May 25, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: business, music
His blog and newsletter contain indispensible truths related to musician's health, psychology and performance and so his book is a must-read....will get to it soon! In the meantime, am satisfied with reading his blog:www.musiciansway.com
Justin Green
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
Essential and thorough reference, and I'm going to be looking at this for a good long while to absorb all the benefits of Klickstein's know how and wisdom into my own artistic development and practice.
Bailey Stines
Aug 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Some parts were definitely worth reading, but there was a lot I just skimmed or skipped entirely. Book is aimed more at students transitioning from high school to college.
Paula Hedgepeth
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and thorough...a reference book I'll return to for years to come.
Jupie
Jan 19, 2010 added it
Best book I've read that tells how to practice music.
Neil Vanderwerf
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent advice for those wanting to develop as musicians.
Karen
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, music
Great book for a musician of any age. Nothing new, but packaged extremely well. Highly recommended for teachers, too.
Jacqueline Ecle
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Intended for undergraduate music majors, this book is a must have. It contains plenty of insights that are just too good not to be known and practiced by young musicians.
Dele Omotosho
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's something in here for every musician -- at least for those on the willing to "get" this craft a bit more.
  • The Perfect Wrong Note: Learning to Trust Your Musical Self
  • Hearing and Writing Music: Professional Training for Today's Musician
  • A Soprano on Her Head: Right-Side-Up Reflections on Life and Other Performances
  • The Art of Practicing: A Guide to Making Music from the Heart
  • Effortless Mastery: Liberating the Master Musician Within, Book & CD
  • The Jazz Theory Book
  • The Inner Game of Music
  • The Study of Counterpoint
  • Indivisible by Four: A String Quartet in Pursuit of Harmony
  • How You Stand, How You Move, How You Live: Learning the Alexander Technique to Explore Your Mind-Body Connection and Achieve Self-Mastery
  • Bach: Music in the Castle of Heaven
  • Bill Evans: How My Heart Sings
  • Playing the Piano for Pleasure
  • Emotion and Meaning in Music
  • Theory of Harmony
  • Lexicon of Musical Invective: Critical Assaults on Composers Since Beethoven's Time
  • Harmony