Start by marking “Growing Up Global: Raising Children to Be At Home in the World” as Want to Read:
Growing Up Global: Raising Children to Be At Home in the World

Growing Up Global: Raising Children to Be At Home in the World

In today’s increasingly interconnected world, how do we prepare our children to succeed and to become happy, informed global citizens? A mother of three, Homa Sabet Tavangar has spent her career helping governments develop globally oriented programs and advising businesses on how to thrive abroad. In Growing Up Global, Tavangar shares with all of us her “parenting toolbox” to hel ...more
Published August 25th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Growing Up Global, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Up Global

Start your review of Growing Up Global: Raising Children to Be At Home in the World
Ardyth
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Filled with resources and ideas to incorporate global awareness into life at home or school. From simple to sophisticated, from small daily changes to films and projects, great for parents or teachers whose kids range anywhere between preschool and high school senior year.

Worth owning so you can refer to it - and use its ideas - often.
Lindsey
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
I ended up skimming over a lot of this book. It has a holier-than-thou tone to it which annoyed me. There was also a lot of information that just didn't interest me. I did, however, find value in her list of foreign films for kids and books that can help kids gain a more global perspective.
Amy Renshaw
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book that encourages kids to explore the world's wonderful diversity of races, religions, and cultures with enthusiasm and respect. It's a must-read for encouraging your kids or students to be world citizens and connect with friends of many backgrounds and beliefs. A trusted and treasured resource!
Lisa
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Growing Up Global is an excellent resource for any home or classroom. The book contains great ideas for broadening kids access to the bigger world through play, film, activities, and conversations. I love the wide range of ideas to learn about different cultures and ethnicities to deepen understanding and empathy.
Kathy
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Best suited to parents of younger children who themselves don’t have much international experience
Rachel
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: global
Read this hoping to get some good ideas for work, but it really is intended as more of a home manual--things families can do together to build a more global outlook/awareness of other cultures. Tons of great ideas, some much easier than others unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

Was a little disappointed with the few references to the "Far East" that were included (And does anyone still call it the Far East? Wouldn't East Asia be more PC?), but overall I did come away with a
Mark V
Jun 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Didn't read it cover-to-cover, juust went through and read the chapters that jumped out at me. Lots of good ideas, but I'd love to meet the people who have enought free time to commit to all of this. Enjoyable and inspiring or guilt inducing, depending on the week you're having.
Christine
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction
Neat book about creating global awareness and knowledge for your kids and family. Full of ideas and resources. Would have been great to have around when the girls were younger. The section on world music helped me discover I really like Brazilian bossanova.
Erin
Sep 30, 2015 marked it as to-read
I'm about half-way through, so far.
Laurene Jewell
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
Gives a lot of great recommendations and things to think about and fun things to do for ones family. I will definitely be referencing this book for the future.
Mommywest
Mar 12, 2013 marked it as to-read
For future ideas for preschool
Allison

Skimmed. Not much for how to books... Unless maybe it was the basis for a discussion.
Heather

• The Good School: How Smart Parents Get Their Kids the Education They Deserve
  • The Book of Learning and Forgetting
  • How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
  • Teaching Digital Natives: Partnering for Real Learning
  • Why Boys Fail: Saving Our Sons from an Educational System That's Leaving Them Behind
  • Ideas That Changed the World
  • The Motivation Breakthrough: 6 Secrets to Turning on the Tuned-Out Child
  • Buy, Buy Baby: How Consumer Culture Manipulates Parents and Harms Young Minds
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times
  • Homeschooling Our Children Unschooling Ourselves
  • The Global Achievement Gap: Why Our Kids Don't Have the Skills They Need for College, Careers, and Citizenship—and What We Can Do About It
  • In Our Backyard: Human Trafficking in America and What We Can Do to Stop It