Start by marking “Written on the Wind (Daughters of Fortune, #1)” as Want to Read:
Written on the Wind (Daughters of Fortune, #1)

Written on the Wind

(Daughters of Fortune #1)

Book 1 of the Daughters of Fortune series. Cameron Hayes' determination to distance herself from her famous father and establish herself as a journalist finds her back in her beloved Russia, now threatened by Hitler's greed. In Moscow she meets Dr. Alex Rostov, a once-prominent US surgeon who has been forced to return to his Russian homeland. Anger over the politics of war ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Written on the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Written on the Wind

Olivia
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review possibly to come
Princess Emilia
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was very confused after I read some of the other reviews because I felt almost as if they were speaking of a different book completely. The book was exciting and I loved the characters. I'm very picky concerning books and I couldn't put this one down.
May 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'm going to be honest, I only read this book because I heard that some of the characters from The Russians series (also by Judith Pella) show up in this book. I had been sorely disappointed with the end of that series and was hoping perhaps I could find some closure here. Which means right out of the starting gate, I had a severe bias.

Unfortunately, it only got worse from there.

Look, even if I had just picked up this book, with no expectations whatsoever, I still would have given it one star. I
Readnponder
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first installment of a WWII historical novel series. The story lines track three Los Angeles sisters, although the oldest, Cameron, is the focus of this book. She is an aspiring newspaper reporter in a field dominated by men, including her father, who owns a paper. Cameron goes to Russia to cover the Eastern Front. I appreciated a look at war-time Moscow.
The second daughter, Blair, hopes for a career as an actress but finds herself in sleazy nightclubs. Jackie, the youngest, is st
Luisa
Mar 21, 2010 rated it did not like it
Obnoxious. The characters were interesting, but terribly cliche, which doesn't necessarily destroy their believability. And although I'm actively Christian, the blatantly obvious theological tie-ins were awkward. Not to mention the dialogue was like a poorly scripted play... Example: "You know, Orientals exalt sons too. Women are little better than slaves. I hope I am not like that with my children. Ill love boys and girls equally." Jackie: "Sometimes I wonder if it's possible to ever please one ...more
Cherie
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Writers of Christian fiction are certainly not afraid to let their readers know that they value faith, prayer and living a good moral life. This comes out very loud and clear no matter what story they are telling. I think that "Christian" fiction portrays these values and practices even more strongly than Mormon fiction. Sometimes I think Mormon fiction tries to play down the "Mormon angle," whereas Christian fiction writers write so that no one can miss what they are trying to proclaim. And the ...more
Jennifer Gelert
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love historical fiction and this book takes place in my favorite time period - WWII. 3 sisters born to a tyrant publisher who was not too happy that he had all 3 girls. The oldest, Cameron follows in his footsteps and becomes a reporter. Blair rebels and ends up becoming a drunk and singing in a seedy nightclub. Jackie the youngest is a strong Christian, attends UCLA and ends up following in love with a Japanese boy. The story follows Cameron as she becomes a reporter for a rival of her father ...more
Geralyn Wichers
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Strengths: Cameron Hayes is a relatable character. I appreciated that Pella wrote her as a nonbeliever, and not in a 'tsk tsk shame shame' way. Nor does Cameron have a glorious conversion. She moves by increments.

The backdrop of WW2 era Russia/United States is lushly portrayed.

Even characters like 'bad boy' Johnny Shanahan are portrayed sympathetically.

Weaknesses: Blair, Jackie and the rest of the Hayes family fall into stereotypes, and are honestly awkward to read about.

Pacing is a little slow
Joy
Oct 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Yep, it's another historical novel :) This story is about three young ladies who are daughters of a Los Angeles Newspaper tycoon and how they each chose to make their own way in the world during World War II. It is a bit predictable in some ways, but not overtly. The main character is the eldest daughter who is also a journalist, but who can never measure up in her father's estimation. He basically never forgave her for being female. At the moment she's in Russia to 'get the story' as Russia is ...more
Lynette  Lee (J.Kirby)
I am a huge fan of Judith Pella. I have read all her Russian series, and now I am starting this one. I recommend reading her Russian series first, because in "Written on the Wind" she mentions characters from that series. However, you don't have to. She writes the book in a way that just gives enough information on her Russian characters to encourage her readers to pick up her Russian series. I was not disappointed at all with this book, and I am looking forward to reading the second one in the ...more
Elaine
Cameron, one of three sisters, leaves for Russia on assignment as a journalist. There she experiences Russian censorship as she tries to get the truth of the war into print.

pg 389 -.....a seed of grain planted into the earth must first die before it can bring forth fruit. That's what change does. It kills certain things in us so that something new may grow. My hope has always been that the new growth will be better than what came before."
Mandy
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was very easy to read, and I enjoyed the variety of characters. Judith Pella has always been a favorite author of mine. The main characters are not "traditional" christian characters, and it is rewarding to see them struggling with their faith (or lack of) and the everyday things that many of us struggle with from time to time. I recommed it, and will be buying the next one!
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Historical Christian Romance Fiction

Historical aspect: interesting & well-researched, without sounding like a dry history book
Christian aspect: annoyingly pat
Romance aspect: cloying (*shudder*)

There is also a subtle racism throughout the book that might drop jaws, or at least merit an eye-roll & a groan. I do believe the author thought she was being very "open-minded" and "radical," and certainly had no malicious intent, however.
MaryHelen
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Judith Pella's "Daughters of Fortune" is a very good series. This is the first book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is set during the 1940s, both pre-war and during the WWII years. The series follows three sisters who end up in different countries during the war, pursuing different career paths. It also follows their separate love lives. With the war, much is desperate. I found this to be a very absorbing family saga.
Rachel
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I really liked this book. Even though there would be no way that any newspaper would have let a woman be a foreign correspondent during World War 2 even if it was in Russia, I still liked the plot. It's fun, exciting, and written well despite being a little too feministic for the time period.
Also, I do find it interesting that the books talk about all three daughters in each book and follow out their lives even though each book seems to focus specifically on a certain one's story.
Martha
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book and especially the author's obvious knowledge of history and WWII, however I hate the way it ended so abruptly. I 'm sure that this is so we will want to read the next installment in the series...which I did and there is STILL no "happily ever after"!
Guess I'll have to read the next one
Rebecca
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book as both a writer and avid reader. I enjoy history, and I find myself reading more and more books about World War II. I'm very interested in the Eastern front. The book covers some of it from an American journalist's point of view in Russia. I plan to read the rest of the books in the series.
Kara
Jul 25, 2008 rated it liked it
My sister got me into this series of historical fiction. It's set during WWII (a particular favorite of mine) in California and follows sisters in their different lives during this period. All the books were good, quick reads and definitely pulled me in. However, there were some religious themes that made me a bit uncomfortable overall.
Mary
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story, by best-selling author. First in the Series and I just got the next 2 books! Daughter of Publisher makes good on her own when she leaves the country and is in danger in war-torn Europe. Read this for a wonderful adventure.
Rachel Thomson
Dec 10, 2009 rated it liked it
A dramatic story set in the early 1940s in the U.S. and Soviet Union, especially strong in the area of family relationships. Well researched as the author's books always are, although I found the writing itself weak.
Carol
May 15, 2010 rated it liked it
This was my introduction to Judith Pella and I liked it. Good historical info about the Russians entrance into the war and a fictional account to go with it. Look forward to more from this author.
Brooke
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Classic Judith Pella! I would venture to say that I may even like this series better than The Russians. You even get to see a few overlapping characters from that series in these books. I would highly recommend this book/series.
Janna Odenthal
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting series from a female journalist's perspective during WWII behind Russian boundaries. Sequels include a sister stuck in the Philippines and another sister who married a fellow Japanese college student friend. Three perspectives in one family. A political history during wartime
Karin Breidenthal
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great series if you are interested in World War II. The story takes place on three continents and follows the lives of 3 sisters, daughters of a newspaper tycoon. It definitely kept my interest.
Rachelle
Sep 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I picked it up randomly at the library and look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Melissa
Interesting and helpful in history, but not so much in other things (like romance).
Julia
Oct 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
A fun historical fiction set in the 20th century, following the divergent lives of 3 sisters. A great way to learn a little history woven into the fabric of women you can cheer on
Denise Babbit
Found this book in a friend's library. I was so disappointed with how the book ended, but then, that's why there is a second volume, and I am looking forward to reading it! :)
Dana
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this over 15 years ago. Judith Pella was one of my top 3 authors of the time. Christian historical fiction - a wonderful genre!
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • Lions of the Desert (Egypt Trilogy #2)
  • Love's Pursuit
  • While Mortals Sleep (Songs in the Night #1)
  • Marina (Heirs of Anton, #3)
  • Driven With the Wind  (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #8)
  • In My Father's House (Shiloh Legacy #1)
Judith Pella is a bestselling, award-winning author whose writing career spans two decades. Her in-depth historical and geographical research combines with her skillful storytelling to provide readers with dramatic, thought-provoking novels. She and her husband make their home in Scapoose, Oregon.

Daughters of Fortune (4 books)
  • Somewhere a Song (Daughters of Fortune, #2)
  • Toward the Sunrise (Daughters of Fortune, #3)
  • Homeward My Heart (Daughters of Fortune, #4)