Start by marking “The City Out My Window: 63 Views on New York” as Want to Read:
The City Out My Window: 63 Views on New York

The City Out My Window: 63 Views on New York

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
From Matteo Pericoli, the celebrated author of Manhattan Unfurled, comes a unique collection of illustrated cityscapes. In these intimate drawings of window views, Pericoli captures the essence of the city by showing us what New Yorkers see when they look out their windows. The City Out My Window shows us a series of private New Yorks, as seen by Tom Wolfe, Tony Kushner, N ...more
Published November 3rd 2009 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The City Out My Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The City Out My Window

Jeff Lanter
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a gift and while I've never been to NYC, I do consider myself a city dweller and can appreciate what this book does. I think it is ultimately a piece of art and a very neat one at that. The drawings are just fantastic and have such a warm feeling to them. If the concept of this book appeals to you or you love NYC, its worth picking up.
Karen
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art, bedtime-reading
While the book isn't all that interesting - I recognized approximately 7 of 63 people whose views were featured - the format is an interesting idea for an art lesson. It could be fun assignment to have students go home and draw the view from their bedrooms, particularly as a beginning assignment for the material culture/local history class I am planning.
Emmy Ai
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting
Andrea
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Matteo Pericoli presents a lovely collection of what a group of fellow New Yorkers experience through their windows. The book is short but sweet. I am a visual person myself and appreciated its organization and overall down-to-earth tone. It might make you look at the view out your window a little differently.
paula
Brief observations of what some New Yorkers (Ed Koch, Graydon Carter, Chris Raschka, Mark Morris, Peter Sis, E.L. Doctorow to name a few) see outside their window, each with a lovely little drawing of that view. Some people live in Brooklyn, some people live on Riverside Drive. Adam Yauch can see the river, Wynton Marsalis lives high high high over a river of light. Of course he does.
Colleen
Dec 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: all-american, art, travel
What a treat this book is - perfect little drawings out the window of New Yorkers. Just like the people who occupy them, some are grand with stunning vistas, others are more humble, but each is quintessentially New York. A great gift.
Lisa Urso
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
63 celebrities offer vignettes about the views from their Manhattan apartments, offices, or studios. It's a quick, yet powerful book with some amazingly detailed sketches. It's sentimental and offers little pieces of history, like the wooden water towers atop apartment buildings.
Barbara
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An intimate look into the view many famous New Yorkers have out their windows. Highly enjoyable with great illustrations. You feel has if you just heard a cab honk.
Katie
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Pericoli's drawings are extraordinary. Check out his website www.matteopericoli.com.
S
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Interesting and concise. A relaxing and thoughtful read. Right up my alley in terms of subject matter.
Otto Marcellus Rusk