Start by marking “I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!” as Want to Read:
I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!

I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!

A dab of blue here, a splash of red there, a goopy smear of green . . . everywhere. To the tune of "It Ain't Gonna Rain No More," one creative kid floods his world with color, painting first the walls, then the ceiling, then HIMSELF! Before this feisty artist is through, he'll have painted his head, back, hands, legs, feet, and . . . Oh no--here comes Mama!

Karen Beaumont's
Published April 1st 2005 by Harcourt

Start your review of I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
Sadia Mansoor
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, art
Art is love.. Art is inspiration. Who doesn't like colors & paints! :)
This lil kid is no more different when it comes to creating Art in anyway he likes. He has fun with paints in his own way.. He just colors everything. :P :O
We all know that its wrong to treat paints like that but hey... he's just a child behaving like a child :)

The book is here >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSUUc...
Rossy
Jan 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s, one-star
I don't think it's appropriate or funny that this little kid vandalizes his own house! Poor mother! -_-
midnightfaerie
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Here's another book I picked up at a library sale for .50 cents and it was so worth it. I've read it several times and both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds love it. Not enough words for a level 1 reading book, it's a book more suited to a family reading. The bright colorful pictures of the boy painting himself and the walls of his room fascinated my 3 yr olds, because they knew he was being very naughty. But it looked like so much fun! (You could just see this in their eyes as they listened!) My ...more
Chuck Knudsen
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book, cute story. Only loses a star for getting that damn song stuck in my head.
Claudia
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
CIP: In the rhythm of a familiar folk song, a little white boy glories in covering himself with paint, one body part at a time.

Review: Good solid rhythm in the storytelling, combined with rhymes that allow listeners to guess which body part the little boy will paint next. The ink line drawings – of the boy, his comical dog, and his mother – on a white background make a great contrasting space for the glorious paint colors … some splashed and scribbled, some wonderfully decorative. Lots of humor,
Erika
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2018
I read this for Toddler Storytime yesterday, and it was a lot of fun! The artwork is awesome, with lots of fun colors on every page! And it is a very rhythmic book, that you can sing along to. The kids had a great time guessing which body part would get painted next. Only one (slightly) negative moment: I had one parent say loudly "Ain't is NOT a word" right in the beginning of the story. I should have thought about how I could have responded to that when I first read the picture book several ...more
Krista
I love this book for small children. I have read this to kindergarten and they get the simple rhythm of the speech and are able to fill in the rhymes when you pause. The words are so memorable they can remember and retell it to buddies. This would be a wonderful book to use in early instruction at the beginning of K when students are working on phonemic awareness and hearing word parts.

Basically it is about a very naughty boy creating a big mess as he paints himself all over the place. The
Ama
One of my favorites for storytime!
Abigail
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Would-Be Artists & Painters
Using the song "It Ain't Gonna Rain No More" as a starting point, author Karen Beaumont spins a rhyming tale about a young boy who just can't seem to stop painting - especially himself! Full of exuberance, and a love of bright colors, his painterly instincts break out, even after his mother had forbidden him from continuing. The only thing that can put an end to his artistic depredations is... running out of paint!

Although unfamiliar with the song upon which it is based, I found I Ain't Gonna
Lynn Plourde
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Silly song, silly art, silly fun!
Dolly
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Fun, colorful illustrations and a catchy tune combine to make a fun story to read aloud. The only concern anyone could have is over the bad grammar, although that's part of the song, and I suppose, part of the charm. The illustrations are wonderful and full of crazy colors and designs! Our girls loved this book and our youngest insisted on singing the refrain each time in her loudest voice. Fun and silly - we really enjoyed reading this book aloud together. We've borrowed this book a couple of ...more
ChayAbbyCaydenAsher
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hailey
Recommended to ChayAbbyCaydenAsher by: Mommy
Shelves: own
This book makes me happy. She is such a funny girl. I want to paint my body too.
N
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is hilarious. My dad always sang, "It ain't gonna rain no more" to me as a kid. I can't wait for next storytime!
Lizeth Dorado
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: karen-beaumont
I really enjoyed this book. It is about a little kid that gets caught painting on the wall by his mother. She takes away his paints and he keeps saying "Ya ain't a gonna paint no more" just like mocking his mother because he is mad because he wants to paint. His mom hides his paints, but he eventually finds them and begins to paint again. Since he couldn't draw on the walls anymore he begins to paint on himself. He paints his head, his neck, his chest, his arm, his hand, his back, his leg, and ...more
Kristen Hylton
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
This book was a really great read-aloud! The kids loved guessing what body part the child in the story would paint next (I gave them some hints--what body part rhymes with 'red'? That's right, head!). I sang the words, which the kids really enjoyed too! They danced along as I read. :) You can also ask the kids what color each body part is, since those words are typeset in color. This was a fun and active read for everyone involved!
Stephanie
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Story Time
Ages: 2.5-4
Theme: Color

This one was adorable and the kids loved it. The older kids started trying to guess which part of the body was to be painted next.

A kid painted the walls, ceiling, everything! So the mom took away the paint. Did that stop the kid? NOPE! The kid starts painting different parts of his body.
Brittany
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five stars! LOVE IT! Reading this book aloud was so fun. The end just makes me laugh so much. It reminds me of something my daughter would do with paint supplies.
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Vibrant colors in the illustrations and great use of rhyming words. Children always enjoy participating in finishing the sentences! Silly story, but perfect for silly little ones.
Orion Kopf
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Lovely illustrations!
Allison
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Would work great in a baby or toddler storytime. Sing and point or touch the named body parts. So much fun.
Maya
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
5yo didn't like it, kid just makes a mess
Beccy Swanson
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Great little rap/poem - saw it used with an SEND group as a "massage poem", using the body parts named to involve some sensory play and then leading on to painting.
D
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was quite good despite the eldritch abominations you can find in the pages.
Denise Menger
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rhythm and rhyme
Fun, engaging story
Connie
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
We start with a bouncy rhythm, as the kid describes how his paints got taken away.

Then he gleefully (to the tune of "It Ain't Gonna Rain No More", of course) sneaks to the closet starts painting his whole body (and, incidentally, the rest of the pristine white house!)

I love the color, and I love the rhythm. Seriously, I'm reading this every day to my two nieces, age 5 and 3. They can't get enough of it!

I will note that there is a scene where the kid almost paints his (now naked) butt (singing
(NS) Dana
Oct 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
*Non-print text: Listened to book on CD

This book will become a favorite in your classroom for you and your students! I loved listening to it
Zoraya Brown
I liked this book, however, if I read it in my classroom, I would ensure that the children knew that this is not always the most proper way to speak. With kindergarteners, we could go into a conversation about speaking differently depending on who we are talking to and where we are. I would use it for rhyming also, as I found myself trying to guess what the rhymes would be while reading. I also posed the question to my classmates of what they thought the character meant by telling us not to ...more
Amy
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
This was a cute book, full of bright colors, and an independent kid who just can't control his artistic impulses. So this story should have worked really well for us, but, well, it didn't.

My niece laughed at this book, but not nearly to the degree that I thought she would, and honestly, I think this book freaked my nephew out a little bit. I'm not sure if that's because the colors were so "in your face," or if it was because he can't stand being messy, so this book was like his worst nightmare.
Roy
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-children
I'm not sure who gets more of a kick out of Karen Beaumont's books, me or my 3-year old daughter. I'll give nod to her in a close race. This wonderful book appeals to her stubborn singled mindedness of purpose regardless of what behavior is being asked of her, and her fondness for rhyme, music, anticipation, and color.
Annette Taylor-james
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: colorful
This book is perfect for little ones' who are exploring painting after reading this book to them they will be introduced to what to paint and where not to paint. It will encourage them to paint it is quite colorful.

• Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Bark, George
  • The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse
  • Parts
  • Mouse Paint
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Leonardo, the Terrible Monster
  • Dinosaur vs. Bedtime
  • Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
  • Do You Want to Be My Friend?
  • Little White Rabbit
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
  • Big Fat Hen
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • Silly Sally
  • Beep Beep, Vroom Vroom!
Karen Beaumont is the New York Times bestselling author of many award-winning picture books. She lives in Scotts Valley, California.