Start by marking “Stretch” as Want to Read:
Stretch

Stretch

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Can you stretch to the ceiling? Can you stretch to the floor? You can stretch with a whisper, you can stretch with a roar! Doreen Cronin and Scott Menchin give new meaning to the yoga pose downward facing dog as publishing’s most energetic pooch explores the many, many ways a kid can get limber. More than simple toe touching, this pup stretches to ride a breeze, ...more
Published August 11th 2009 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Stretch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stretch

Michelle
This story would lend itself nicely to a yoga related program or movement storytime. I am always looking for books that kids can get up and move to.
Mary Ann
Stretching, wiggling, bouncing – little children are full of movement. Cronin and Menchin capture this kinesthetic energy in Stretch, a new twist featuring the same friendly dog from Wiggle (2005) and Bounce (2007). Children are invited to join the fun, as the book opens with “Stretch with me,/ hands in the air!/ Count to three…./ Hold it right there!” The humorous rhyming text woks well as a read-aloud. The scenes change as the dog meets different animal friends and travels to different setting ...more
Sami
A review of: Stretch

Publishing Details: Stretch
Author: Doreen Cronin
Year: 2009
Publishing: Simon &Schuster

Introduction: In Doreen Cronin’s Stretch, she highlights the importance of not only physically stretching but also stretching your mind and imagination. The story is a very simple one, which focuses mainly on the illustrations, but the text is simple and has a lot of rhymes to draw the students in.

Description: The lovable dog in this book is followed as he stretches in many different
Heidi
I didn't like this as much as the other moving dog books Cronin has written. The dog is still cute. And some of the stretching part would interest the kids. But the younger crowd I usually read these to would be lost on some other. I suppose the older crowd might be ok with it. I'd have to put some thought into what I'd do to bring it out more to the kids. But it wasn't the length and level I was looking for in my movement storytime, so I passed on using it for now.
Eva Leger
We have yet to read Wiggle and Bounce but after reading this I think we may. I do remember Doreen Cronin's name from Click Clack Moo and if I recall correctly we did both enjoy what we read.
Stretch can be a huge help to get a kid moving a think. Not all kids mind you, but some. The illustrations are awesome with two pages in the beginning showing only the hands of different animals as if they're stretching them into the air. The way the illustrations help the story really can make a kid want to
Tiffany
Very dynamic and fun book for kids to stretch with. Little dog stretches here and there and in outer space. Great book for storytime to get kids to join in. Book is not to large so probably more suitable for smaller rather than large groups of babies and toddlers.
Kristy
Stretch started out strong but kind of petered out toward the end. It starts with "stretch with me, hands in the air, count to three, hold it right there!" The kids had fun imitating and stretching, and the first few pages of the book were similar. But about midway, the book quits doing stretches that the kids can imitate, leaving them kind of put out.

Okay for pre-k and K storytime.
Jessica
This isn't really a book just to read, but it is a perfect choice for toddlers and young children to teach movement and promote activity.
Emily
The inside cover is the best part of the book. It shows about 80 yoga positions. The actual book doesn't make a lot of sense. Only a couple of times does it tell the reader to stretch or show a stretch. Otherwise, it is filled with lines like these: "I can stretch on a wave." "Some will stretch to show you spots." This could have been a really good book if the cartoon dog showed the positions inside the book and lead the reader through them. Also, the illustrations are odd in that they are a com ...more
Shelley
Wonderful Ones May 7 & 9, 2014
Preschool May 7 & 9, 2014
Candice
Dec 18, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
I read this as a Tumblebook. Many libraries offer Tumblebooks as a free online service; check to see if it is offered by your library. Stretch is a fun book that invites participation. At the beginning the reader is encouraged to stretch with the little dog. Then, in rhyming text, the dog shows all the ways one can stretch. Many different animals are shown stretching to get food from the treetops (giraffe) or stretching wide in a yawn (a whale). The illustrations complement the text perfectly, m ...more
Rivka
My absolute favorite for the toddler/pre-k set.
Paula
Read for Early Headstart Story Time 12.4.2014
Read for Headstart Story Time 12.11.2014
Sunnyvale Librarian
The lively pup who stars in Cronin's earlier Wiggle and Bounce is back to get us to enjoy a good stretch. Kids will love Menchin's large and humorous illustrations, which do inspire everyone to get moving! ...more
The Library Lady
Betsey Levin may have won the Caldecott for Click, Clack, Moo Cows That Type, but Cronin's deadpan humor was equally funny by itself when read on NPR by Daniel Pinkwater.

Here, Cronin's text is panting to keep up with the illustrations. None the less, a nice little book with plenty of potential for those of us who don't like to do story hour with the kids sitting quietly, hands in laps!
Rebecca
Great followup to Wiggle and Bounce, with equal potential for a movement-oriented program or storytime. Even better if you're doing yoga storytime! (Very cute yoga positions on the endpapers.)

"A yawn is just a stretch that starts down deep inside."
Mrs. Peura
Meant for younger kids.
Alicia Scully
Cronin makes me so happy. In this book, she talks about the different kinds of stretching and what kids can accomplish when they stretch. I used this book in one of my programs and the kids loved it. They were able to move around and show how they could do what Cronin suggested throughout the book. The kids and I both agreed that the cute dog was also a plus. I definitely recommend it for encouraging movement.
Catherine Woodman
I am not sure what audience would actually enjoy this, except the 0-2 year olds where just the soothing sound of someone reading is what's called for--I remember when the kids were little Joel read to them the opening of the Hudson Bay, a 2-volume 1500 page book, and they happily, eagerly listened every night. Stretching is not the stuff of great literature.
Treasa
A fun companion book to Cronin's Wiggle. I really like the rhyming text and the amusing illustrations of the dog character (same dog as in Wiggle. If we had enough room to stretch at my preschool storytime, I could see using this book with them and having them act out the different kinds of stretches. This book just screams to be acted out.
Sarah M.
This is a great book to use when teaching children about stretching before playing time or sports. The book was a cute book, that would be enjoyable for children. When using it with children the animals and silly pictures in the book will be helpful.
Dolly
Dec 05, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, pets
This is a similar book to Doreen Cronin's "Wiggle." It has fun illustrations and a simple narrative that is good for beginning readers. Our girls enjoyed watching this book read aloud on the "Tumblebooks" online audiobook site (tumblebooks.com)
Kristina Arnold
Stretch is a fun book that I used to teach my lesson in E337 for Healthy, Safety, and Nutrition. It is a good way to introduce safety to children because stretching will help them not hurt themselves before doing a physical activity.
Allison
Reading this makes me want to get up and stretch. To stand tall or touch the floor. I want to stretch my arms up and stretch my arms out. A good book to incorporate some movement with the kids you are reading this with.
Liza Gilbert
This will make a great book for storytime. Reading it to the kids while doing stretches should lead to some laughs and a little bit of low-impact exercise. While Cronin's text is a bit forgettable, Menchin's art is charming.
Danie P.
Great book to bring in strecthing and yoga moves into storytime. A little long and doesn't have a streching move on everypage but one could paper clip the pages together that don't have any action moves.
Samantha
A book about stretching that's great for introducing toddlers and preschoolers to proper technique and for working out pre-storytime wiggles.

Pen and ink illustrations were colored digitally. PreK-2.
Amy Brown
Another book similar to her others, this time about stretching and all those things that stretch. Would be good for preschool storytime, yoga storytime or to add a bodily-kinesthetic experience to a program.
Leah
A wonderful action book that invites children to stretch, whisper, roar, and yawn along with you, as well as identify the animals pictured in the bright and bold illustrations. Great for children of all ages!
the Reeds
My little girl liked Stretch, she also liked Bounce. I didn't care for either. I suppose it's the artwork mixed with real-life pictures that turn me off. I'm partial to her other 'duck' books.
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Jump!
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • If You're Hoppy
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • If You're A Monster And You Know It
  • Shout! Shout It Out!
  • If You're Happy And You Know It: Jungle Edition
  • Sylvie
  • You Are a Lion! And Other Fun Yoga Poses
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight, in fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who want ...more
More about Doreen Cronin...
Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type Giggle, Giggle, Quack Diary of a Worm Diary of a Spider Dooby Dooby Moo