Start by marking “Stretch” as Want to Read:
Stretch

Stretch

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  541 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Can you stretch to the ceiling? Can you stretch to the floor? You can stretch with a whisper, you can stretch with a roar! Doreen Cronin and Scott Menchin give new meaning to the yoga pose downward facing dog as publishing’s most energetic pooch explores the many, many ways a kid can get limber. More than simple toe touching, this pup stretches to ride a breeze, grab a sna ...more
Published August 11th 2009 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Stretch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stretch

Sheri
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book that encourages movement and imagination. My favorite line: " A yawn is just a stretch that starts down deep inside. It travels up into your mouth and makes it open wide." Children will have so much fun acting out the various stretches and adults may be inspired to get up and move too!
Michelle
Nov 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
This story would lend itself nicely to a yoga related program or movement storytime. I am always looking for books that kids can get up and move to.
Mary Ann
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Stretching, wiggling, bouncing – little children are full of movement. Cronin and Menchin capture this kinesthetic energy in Stretch, a new twist featuring the same friendly dog from Wiggle (2005) and Bounce (2007). Children are invited to join the fun, as the book opens with “Stretch with me,/ hands in the air!/ Count to three…./ Hold it right there!” The humorous rhyming text woks well as a read-aloud. The scenes change as the dog meets different animal friends and travels to different setting ...more
Sami
A review of: Stretch

Publishing Details: Stretch
Author: Doreen Cronin
Year: 2009
Publishing: Simon &Schuster

Introduction: In Doreen Cronin’s Stretch, she highlights the importance of not only physically stretching but also stretching your mind and imagination. The story is a very simple one, which focuses mainly on the illustrations, but the text is simple and has a lot of rhymes to draw the students in.

Description: The lovable dog in this book is followed as he stretches in many different
Eva Leger
Jan 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
We have yet to read Wiggle and Bounce but after reading this I think we may. I do remember Doreen Cronin's name from Click Clack Moo and if I recall correctly we did both enjoy what we read.
Stretch can be a huge help to get a kid moving a think. Not all kids mind you, but some. The illustrations are awesome with two pages in the beginning showing only the hands of different animals as if they're stretching them into the air. The way the illustrations help the story really can make a kid want to
Sadie Devin
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el230b
This picture book uses rhyming to keep the story flowing. It is great to use in a lesson that can get students up moving and away for their desks and interact with the stretches going on in the book. It incorporates animals, space, the ocean, New York and Paris, as well as many other settings throughout the book. It gives the message that stretching can be done anywhere and in many different ways!
Adalyn McCarty
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: el-230
Heather Newman
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PreK-3
Great storytime reading for a rainy day when kids have been cooped up inside and need a good STRETCH!
Ruth
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fun book by a favorite author in this house.
When the kids were little, we loved the Click, Click, Moo series of books.

It was fun, and a storyteller could certainly make some stretches up to go along with the pictures, but I was hoping this was a book of actual stretches for kids.
Annie Payne
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a cute and interactive book to read with children.
Leslie
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Looking forward to sharing STRETCH with my young Storytime friends!
Dewey
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: st-movement
Love it. This is a fun way to incorporate interaction into storytime while reading and to work out some wiggles if I need to.
Jimmy B Grande
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Stretch, run, wiggle and jump, a type of intro to yoga for kids.
Tracy Morton
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is really cute. The book is definitely better for a younger audience. The phrasing is simple and it has an easy rhyming pattern. I think I am going to add this book to my Yoga storytime.
Mollie B
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great rhyme scheme. Yoga, too! I may incorporate in a yoga storytime.
The Library Lady
Sep 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Betsey Levin may have won the Caldecott for Click, Clack, Moo Cows That Type, but Cronin's deadpan humor was equally funny by itself when read on NPR by Daniel Pinkwater.

Here, Cronin's text is panting to keep up with the illustrations. None the less, a nice little book with plenty of potential for those of us who don't like to do story hour with the kids sitting quietly, hands in laps!
Sunnyvale Librarian
The lively pup who stars in Cronin's earlier Wiggle and Bounce is back to get us to enjoy a good stretch. Kids will love Menchin's large and humorous illustrations, which do inspire everyone to get moving!
Emily
Aug 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids-books
The inside cover is the best part of the book. It shows about 80 yoga positions. The actual book doesn't make a lot of sense. Only a couple of times does it tell the reader to stretch or show a stretch. Otherwise, it is filled with lines like these: "I can stretch on a wave." "Some will stretch to show you spots." This could have been a really good book if the cartoon dog showed the positions inside the book and lead the reader through them. Also, the illustrations are odd in that they are a com ...more
Candice
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
I read this as a Tumblebook. Many libraries offer Tumblebooks as a free online service; check to see if it is offered by your library. Stretch is a fun book that invites participation. At the beginning the reader is encouraged to stretch with the little dog. Then, in rhyming text, the dog shows all the ways one can stretch. Many different animals are shown stretching to get food from the treetops (giraffe) or stretching wide in a yawn (a whale). The illustrations complement the text perfectly, m ...more
Alicia Evans
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cronin makes me so happy. In this book, she talks about the different kinds of stretching and what kids can accomplish when they stretch. I used this book in one of my programs and the kids loved it. They were able to move around and show how they could do what Cronin suggested throughout the book. The kids and I both agreed that the cute dog was also a plus. I definitely recommend it for encouraging movement.
Rebecca
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great followup to Wiggle and Bounce, with equal potential for a movement-oriented program or storytime. Even better if you're doing yoga storytime! (Very cute yoga positions on the endpapers.)

"A yawn is just a stretch that starts down deep inside."
Heidi-Marie
I didn't like this as much as the other moving dog books Cronin has written. The dog is still cute. And some of the stretching part would interest the kids. But the younger crowd I usually read these to would be lost on some other. I suppose the older crowd might be ok with it. I'd have to put some thought into what I'd do to bring it out more to the kids. But it wasn't the length and level I was looking for in my movement storytime, so I passed on using it for now.
Catherine Woodman
I am not sure what audience would actually enjoy this, except the 0-2 year olds where just the soothing sound of someone reading is what's called for--I remember when the kids were little Joel read to them the opening of the Hudson Bay, a 2-volume 1500 page book, and they happily, eagerly listened every night. Stretching is not the stuff of great literature.
Maria
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Stretch along with this unnamed dog in many rhyming ways.

Why I started it: Cronin has been one of my favorites since Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type.

Why I finished it: This is the perfect story time book for when there is an extra case of the wiggles.
Treasa
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
A fun companion book to Cronin's Wiggle. I really like the rhyming text and the amusing illustrations of the dog character (same dog as in Wiggle. If we had enough room to stretch at my preschool storytime, I could see using this book with them and having them act out the different kinds of stretches. This book just screams to be acted out.
Kristy
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
Stretch started out strong but kind of petered out toward the end. It starts with "stretch with me, hands in the air, count to three, hold it right there!" The kids had fun imitating and stretching, and the first few pages of the book were similar. But about midway, the book quits doing stretches that the kids can imitate, leaving them kind of put out.

Okay for pre-k and K storytime.
Allison
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reading this makes me want to get up and stretch. To stand tall or touch the floor. I want to stretch my arms up and stretch my arms out. A good book to incorporate some movement with the kids you are reading this with.
Samantha
A book about stretching that's great for introducing toddlers and preschoolers to proper technique and for working out pre-storytime wiggles.

Pen and ink illustrations were colored digitally. PreK-2.
Liza Gilbert
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
This will make a great book for storytime. Reading it to the kids while doing stretches should lead to some laughs and a little bit of low-impact exercise. While Cronin's text is a bit forgettable, Menchin's art is charming.
Leah
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
A wonderful action book that invites children to stretch, whisper, roar, and yawn along with you, as well as identify the animals pictured in the bright and bold illustrations. Great for children of all ages!
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • If You're Hoppy
  • You Are a Lion! And Other Fun Yoga Poses
  • Dancing Feet!
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Let's Count Goats!
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • If I Were a Jungle Animal
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight, in fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who want ...more
More about Doreen Cronin