Start by marking “When I Wore My Sailor Suit” as Want to Read:
When I Wore My Sailor Suit

When I Wore My Sailor Suit

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
When he puts on his sailor suit, sailor hat, and sailor whistle, the boy in this book is ready for a journey. He imagines himself on a ship, sailing across the sea, in search of treasure. A sailor’s life is dangerous. But a sailor must be brave no matter what happens.

In this charming story about imagination and adventure, told with Uri Shulevitz’s signature playfulness a
Published September 1st 2009 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about When I Wore My Sailor Suit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I Wore My Sailor Suit

Manybooks
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who is imaginative. Anyone who has been frightened by his/her imagination
In this engaging and thoughtful picture book tale, a young boy dons his sailor suit and finds imaginative adventures in his neighbours' apartment (with a wooden sailboat, pirates, monkeys and the like), but is then frightened by the picture of a man (a picture hanging on the wall). Will he be able to overcome his fear so he can play at his neighbours' apartment again?

When I Wore My Sailor Suit does not only show how imagination can transfer a small apartment (with a wooden sailboat) into an enga
Ronyell
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children who love good imaginations!
I have read many children’s books that dealt with a child imagining themselves into a place where they have wild adventures (Where the Wild Things Are comes to mind) and I have enjoyed every single one! “When I Wore My Sailor Suit” is a children’s book written by Uri Shulevitz, who also illustrated The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship: A Russian Tale and it details the adventures that a young boy has while he was a sailor. “When I Wore My Sailor Suit” is a truly memorable book for children ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shulevitz captures the power of a child’s imagination with this story. With his sailor outfit, some rations, and a neighbor’s toy ship, this young boy is able to climb mountains, sail the high seas, explore a jungle, and escape a pirate. His adventure takes bravery and strength, but not even a storm can stop him. However, something fearful attempts to squander the boy’s imagination…will he be able to conquer this fearful thing and get his imaginative world back?

The watercolor illustrations are
Dolly
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This story shows just how powerful a child's imagination can be. The little boy has the adventure of a lifetime, just by playing with a model boat. And his irrational fear of the scary portrait is made real by the description and the illustration of it. Overall, it's an entertaining story and has an old fashioned feel similar to other books by Uri Shulevitz. We enjoyed reading this book together, but it's certainly not our favorite of his tales.

This story was selected as one of the books for th
Lisa Vegan
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids with fears, kids who enjoy imaginative play or who need to learn how to play that way
Recommended to Lisa by: Manybooks
This is a wonderful story about imaginative play, about the common fears of early childhood and how sometimes those fears can be overcome. I definitely remember the type of source of fear this young boy experiences and also remember this kind of play, both that I did and that kids I know did. Some kids now seem to have too little time to just play, play without too many fancy accoutrements; here it’s just an outfit and a single object. Imagination is a wonderful thing.

I liked this book but it di
Logan
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
two stars mean it was okay, and I think that about covers it. While I think we both (me and my 6.5-year-old son) enjoyed the illustrations, it scared L a little. He's prone to being scared of things and I don't think it had ever occurred to him that a painting's eyes could follow him. He was pretty worried about the whole thing. The fact that the boy overcame the painting by telling it, "you can't leave this room, but I can go far away on an exciting journey" wasn't the part the stuck in L's min ...more
Cheryl
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hm. There are a lot of good reviews below. All I can say is that I believe it would be successful with most children, and that I did find it charming and resonant. If your child doesn't grasp the significance of the boy avoiding visits to the Mintzes, help him understand that the boy is taking time to gather his courage to undertake this kid's version of a real-life adventure, facing down the man in the picture. Because an adventure of the imagination, and the kinds we encounter for real in our ...more
LauraW
Jan 31, 2012 rated it liked it
I know I should probably like this better than 3 stars, but I didn't, actually. The problem is that the book started out as though it was going to be a grand adventure and then it seemingly, rather abruptly switched into an explanation of a childhood fear and how it was eventually overcome. It makes sense and the idea is good, but felt like two different books to me. The adventure part seemed like something fun, that was horribly interrupted by the childhood fear part - which is probably the int ...more
June
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: requests to deal with fear.
Recommended to June by: Picture Book Club January 2012
I enjoyed this story in it's celebration of imagination and a child's ability to overcome his fear on his own.

A little boy goes on imaginative adventures in a neighbor's apartment. He gets frightened by a picture. He goes home and thinks about it for days. On his own he is able to deal with his fear and again enjoy adventures. "You can't leave this wall, you can't leave this room, but I can go far away on an exciting journey."

Jenny
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this little boy's imagination! He is able to take a small boat and imagine a great adventure as the room turns into an ocean and he sails off. I also appreciate that imagination can also turn simple things (such as a painting) into something scary. Great story!
SamZ
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute little journey through a little sailor's imagination.
David
When I Wore My Sailor Suit by Uri Shulevitz is the story of a little boy who loves to wear his sailor outfit and imagine himself on a ship, as a brave sailor. The boy learns to have courage, both on the high seas and at home.

A young boy dresses up as a sailor, visits the upstairs neighbors, and engages in fantasy role-play as a sailor/captain using a model ship. The boy is stopped in his play by a feeling of beig watched, and soon discovers a painting. He feels watched and disapproved of by the
Nielson
Dec 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is such a sweet story about the grand imagination of a little boy. Despite the rigors of a sailor's life, this little guy is courageous and braves all of the things a sailor must face....dangerous seas, pirates, and a scary man. He defeats all he must at sea, but soon realizes that his biggest battle is at home with the scary man watching him on the wall. Kids' imaginations will set sail, and they will love going on this sailing adventure! This story is also reminiscent of the author's life ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
A little boy likes to pretend he's a sailor. Every day, he puts on his sailor suit and has high seas adventures. He even outsmarts a pirate and finds a treasure map.

What I thought: Here's another great book about the power of imagination. I love an book that encourages the use of imagination. This one will appeal especially to boys. The illustrations are great--simple lines and vibrant colors.
Richard Drown
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I When My Sailor Suit is a great book for students to read as it seems to include the reader into the author Uri Shulevitz's childhood when he used to imagine himself sailing the seas, and going on an adventure. I really like how the book encourages, and reminds students to dream, and use their imagination too.
Nancy
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great imagination and I love how he gets past his own fears...
Brooke
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-kid
Good paintings, good story
Jessica
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is charming. It's about a little boy dressing up in his sailor suit and imagining life on the high seas. The illustrations enhance the story as well.
Rachel
May 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Simple story, colorful illustrations, nice child point of view.
Nancy J.
Aug 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing

When I was in college I took a summer class with Uri Shulevitz! This one is a childhood memory of his. Back flap directs to How I learned Geography by Uri.
Rani
#Adventures of an young #sailor!
PWRL
Jan 29, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Janet
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Great imagination and I especially liked that the Mother packed the little boy some food since he was going sailing. It was good to see a parent encouraging imaginative play.
Ashlee
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Pretty lame book with nice pictures. The boys liked it but I would not recommend this book.
Jessica
Nov 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Usually I love everything by Uri Shulevitz but this one did not keep my interest.
Nicki
Apr 12, 2016
Karen
Dec 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Uri Shulevitz is a Caldecott Medal-winning illustrator and author. He was born in Warsaw, Poland, on February 27, 1935. He began drawing at the age of three and, unlike many children, never stopped. The Warsaw blitz occurred when he was four years old, and the Shulevitz family fled. For eight years they were wanderers, arriving, eventually, in Paris in 1947. There Shulevitz developed an enthusiasm ...more
More about Uri Shulevitz...