Start by marking “The Hound” as Want to Read:
The Hound

The Hound (The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft )

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  1,016 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
H. P. Lovecraft was one of the greatest horror writers of all time. His seminal work appeared in the pages of legendary Weird Tales and has influenced countless writer of the macabre. This is one of those stories.
Published (first published February 1924)

To ask other readers questions about The Hound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hound

Glenn Russell
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"Wearied with the commonplaces of a prosaic world, where even the joys of romance and adventure soon grow stale, St. John and I had followed enthusiastically every aesthetic and intellectual movement which promised respite from our devastating ennui." So begins this tale of Lovecraft horror. Most unfortunately, how to deal with ennui, that is, one’s boredom, has been a huge, huge ongoing issue in the West, particularly in the last two hundred years.

To underline this point, there is hardly a nov
Bill  Kerwin
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it

One evening, in September of 1922, H.P. Lovecraft visited a Brooklyn graveyard and took a souvenir home with him, a small chip from a tombstone dated 1747. Later, he began to muse, in a letter: “what thing might not come out of the centuried earth to exact vengeance for his desecrated tomb? And should it come, who can say what it might not resemble?” This short story, first published in Weird Tales in 1924, is the result of these musings.

Although it is not one of Lovecraft’s best, it is notable
Scarlet Cameo
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"¡Que perdone el cielo la locura y la morbosidad que atrajeron sobre nosotros tan monstruosa suerte!"

La estupidez adolescente y las leyendas se combinan para crear una historia excelente, donde queda claro que cada acción deja consecuencias y que las criaturas creadas por Lovecraft trascienden su época, además de la influencia que han tenido escritores de culto en el autor. Una excelente historia para adentrarse en el estilo del autor, pero no todavía en su mitología.
Dimitris
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why should any horror story lover read The Hound? Because it marks the first appearance of one of Lovecraft's most famous literary creations—the forbidden book known as the Necronomicon! MWA HA HA!!!
description
Brian
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I haven't read Lovecraft for months and I had forgotten the beauty of his prose. He wrote an excellent piece here (thank you again to Glen Russel for his review!). Lovecraft writes with power to transpose your reality into a new one. His descriptions create a world of damp darkness and ascending terror. The character in the story made me remember my desire to see Indiana Jones and The Call of Cthulhu. This story extends the story of the Necrononicon. Grave robbers, lusting for secret knowledge, ...more
James Hold
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just because an HPL story is short doesn't mean it's easy. Clocking in at just under 3000 words, The Hound gives us tongue-twisters like 'illimitable' and the wonderful 'cacodaemonical' along with the Symbolists, the pre-Raphaelites, and Goya; not to mention Baudelaire and Huysmans.

Baudelaire and Huysmans?
I told you not to mention them!

I'd like to say 'all joking aside', but I don't see how you can treat this as anything other than a joke. A wonderfully told joke, but a joke all the same.

Two gu
Iloveplacebo

Reto: La Mansión Encantada - del grupo 'La cafetería de Audrey'.
Tema: hombres lobo (2).
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The Hound is one of the weirdest and longest suicide letters I've read. Told in the first person by an unnamed narrator, it is a story of the last days of the two friends who were trying to beat the boredom. After a very long search, they turned to macabre and eventually the quest to end their 'devastating ennui' led them to grave robbing.

Only this time they robbed the wrong grave.
Jerry Jose
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This ghastly tale of two tomb raiders marks the very first appearance of Lovecraft’s infamous forbidden book, Necronomicon.

Two seemingly low life robbers, St. John and the narrator, who shares this vile interest in defiling centuried graves for logical pelf, goes to Nether–lands (literally!) to excavate/rob an ancient ghoul. Though the nocturnal expedition is repeatedly disturbed by background bayings of a hound, they unearth an old jaded amulet (semi canine faced) with sinister inscriptions tha
Gabyal
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-encantada-2017
Es un relato corto, la manera en cómo está presentado me gustó. La ambientación que le da, la descripción detallada de los lugares, lo que va sucediendo conforme avanza la trama, hace que se te pongan los vellos de punta y percibas lo que siente el narrador. Todo acto tiene una consecuencia y ese acto le costó caro a uno de ellos.
Skylar Phelps
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Great short fiction.
Book Wyrm
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fantastic bit of utterly morbid, truly gothic horror, made even better by the unashamedly hammy and quivering voice of my William Hart audio recording.
With the exception of a single mention of the Necronomicon, this felt very much a Poe rather than a Lovecraft, full of dark, decadent and decrepit descriptions of crumbling and evil antiquity, with many a nod to the symbolists and the aesthetes. The protagonists even build their own ghoulish des Esseintes like museum of occult and gruesome objec
Brenda
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-own, classics
As if I were reading Supernatural...
I loved it!!!
 Дарья
That ending..
Annathelle26
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror-thriller
That was the creepiest, most ghastly thing I've ever read, and it was perfect.
The atmosphere, the vivid descriptions and the way the story unfolded really made my hair rise.
It was an amazing horror experience, narrated in just ten, thrilling pages.
Nothing else to say.
Katie
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the more maniacal Lovecraft stories that I have so far read and really enjoyed. Unforgettable, and what I would call one of his actual scariest tales. I had goosebumps as I finished it.
Claire Orion
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cuidado con los amuletos malditos y más si tienen que ver con el "Necronomicón". O algo innombrable te perseguirá hasta el día de tu muerte. <3
Jakk Makk
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Baal Of
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, weird, horror
Grave-robbing and its consequences. A solid yarn, including references to the Necronomicon.
Žahra Hamzeh
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
این خوب بود!قشنگ خوفناک و لرزه بر تن انداز مثلا!دوست داشتم ولی همچنان ترجیح میدم یه داستان طولانی تری ازش بخونم.این کوتاه هاش انگار همش یه چیزی شون کمه
Netanella
St John is a mangled corpse; I alone know why, and such is my knowledge that I am about to blow out my brains for fear I shall be mangled in the same way. Down unlit and illimitable corridors of eldrith phantasy sweeps the black, shapeless Nemesis that drives me to self-annihilation.

Ah, yes, good old H.P. is back in fine form, this time with another of his infamously namless narrators recounting his path to suicide.

Two noblemen, bored with their lives, decide to explore the fiendish delights of
Amy (Other Amy)
ICK!!! It was necessary to the tale, but let me just say I never would have conceived of grave robbing as a fetish hobby on my own. (Also, I unfortunately read this story at breakfast. Not something I recommend.) After that opening, I was cheering on the hound, in spite of its obvious evil. (Random Lovecraft note: First mention of the Necronomicon, I believe, although it's author is named as Abdul Alhazred, who is first mentioned (I think) in The Nameless City.)

(Moved 2016 review to the individu
A.N. Mignan
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Typical Lovecraft short story in which some gentlemen scholars go too far. Usually, the characters become mad or die...

What makes this one a 5-star story to me is the background. The main characters are the owners and curators of a secret museum of horror, the “most incredible and unimaginable variety of tomb-loot ever assembled by human madness and perversity”. For this reason, I gladly add this title to my “Collecting” bookshelf, having a keen interest in the collecting process in all its form
Oleksandr
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
За задумом Лавкрафта, на кожного нещасного Сент-Джона, який займався огидними справами повинен існувати один безіменний оповідач, який переживе Сент-Джона, щоб розказати нам його жахливу історію. Цього разу двоє друзів стали розкрадачами могил, тому що їм набридли всі напрями мистецтва, а потім і декадансу виявилося для них замало. Одного разу вони викрали нефритовий амулет, про який ходила недобра слава. Вдома їх почали преслідувати незбагненні речі, а найчастіше вони просто чули далекий собачи ...more
Eli Nunez
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un relato de un rato pero con la primera mención en el mundo mundial del Necronomicon. Lo leí en la applicación de iClassics. Me he puesto una asustada! Muy recomendable el libro y la aplicación. Horror.
P.D. Si no hubiera comprado la aplicación NUNCA hubiera leído a éste autor.
Marcos
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror
Un relato un tanto mediocre a mi juicio, con una trama bastante genérica de saqueadores de tumbas y bastante predecible en todo el relato. Si te gusta Lovecraft y quieres algo gótico esta bien sino vete a por relatos más interesantes.
Adam Vine
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Supremely creepy
William
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ten minutes of delicious fun!
Siobhan
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Classic!!! If you like Poe's Tell-tale heart you'll LOVE this!
  • Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
  • The Spider
  • The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar
  • Metallic Dreams
  • In a Grove
  • I, Cthulhu, or, What’s a Tentacle-Faced Thing Like Me Doing in a Sunken City Like This (Latitude 47° 9′ S, Longitude 126° 43′ W)?
  • A Pail of Air
  • The Burial of the Rats
  • The Last Rakosh
  • In the Land of the Blind
  • Doctor Who: Cold Fusion
  • Dark Mirror (A Tale from The Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • The Lady or the Tiger?
  • The Shot
  • The Supernatural Tales of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Doctor Who: Atom Bomb Blues
  • Doctor Who: Legacy of the Daleks
  • The Children's Crusade (The Books of Magic, #3)
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a

The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft (1 - 10 of 63 books)
  • The Tomb

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • A Burnt-Out Case
  • With Shuddering Fall
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
  • Brief Encounters with Che Guevara: Stories
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Small Great Things
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Glittering Images (Starbridge, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“St. John is a mangled corpse; I alone know why, and such is my knowledge that I am about to blow out my brains for fear I shall be mangled in the same way. Down unlit and illimitable corridors of eldritch phantasy sweeps the black, shapeless Nemesis that drives me to self-annihilation.” 0 likes