Start by marking “The Accidental Library Marketer” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Library Marketer

The Accidental Library Marketer

(The Accidental Library Series)

The Accidental Library Marketer fills a need for library professionals and paraprofessionals who find themselves in an awkward position: They need to promote their libraries and services in the age of the internet, but they have never been taught how to do it effectively. This results-oriented A-to-Z guide by Kathy Dempsey longtime editor of the Marketing Library Services ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Information Today (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Library Marketer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Library Marketer

Start your review of The Accidental Library Marketer
Lebanon Public Library
2.5

Since I do some of the promotional and marketing work for my library, I thought this would be good to read. Some of the information in the book is incredibly outdated, even for the time of publication. The section about chat speak that teenagers use made me cringe. I also feel as if some of the advice only works for certain sized libraries. Not mine. I think Dempsey is off to a good start, but it's not what I expected. I wish it had focused more on digital media.

Reviewed by: Hillarie
Kendra
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There are no easy answers when it comes to marketing library services, and Kathy Dempsey does not sugar coat this fact in her groundbreaking 2009 work The Accidental Library Marketer. Successful library marketing is an evidence-based process rooted in knowing the patron base, creating programs specifically tied to their needs, and then letting them know about those services in ways that are convenient for them in whichever manner they wish to be notified. Contrary to popular industry belief, lib ...more
Genna
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a must-read because it is sooo easy to read. Dempsey's writing voice is very practical, simple, and full of personality. I do think that the book could use some updates. And also the book cover has a poor design, which I only point out because the book covers graphic design and how bad librarians are at doing it. This cover needs to be a little snazzier, and there needs to be more social media content. But it's a great intro book for anyone who just needs the basics of marketing for l ...more
Sara
Mar 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Recently finding myself in the role of 'accidental library marketer,' I had pretty high hopes for this book. I was a bit disappointed to find that much of the information was not new to me since I work at a library that already has implemented many of Dempsey's suggestions. For librarians who find themselves needing to some marketing inspiration or how to, I'd certainly suggest this.
Heather
I knew almost nothing about marketing, so this book was very informative. It comes at it from a library perspective, but also explains the basics of what marketing is in general (i.e., it's not just putting up posters, but learning about your target audience and how to reach them). I felt like there were a lot of things here that we could apply in the library where I work now.
Chelsey
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This was great for me, as I am a blank slate when it comes to marketing, and this gives a lot of simple, clear definitions. It also spends some time explaining why good programs often go unattended, which has been the biggest question in my mind. It is a bit dated though, at this point, so I skimmed the web-based sections.
Nicole Cunha
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books for librarians or library students interested in marketing. Self-education can only take you so far when you don't know how to apply it to your industry.

Only drawback is that the book's dated at this point! Time for a online version or 2nd edition.
Rebecca
May 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Best book on library marketing out there geared to all audiences. Easy to understand but not simplistic. Uses real marketing theory and practice.
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Keep coming back to this. Pick up every day for reinforcement--peace of mind--generate new ideas--get out of a rut...great tips and advice for any small co and/or non-profit.
Susan
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Great little book which does exactly what it says, introduces the marketing process to someone who has never done marketing before in an easy to read format.
Katie
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good, a little repetitive but it had to be.
Matthew Behnke
May 10, 2019
Jun 13, 2014
Jul 09, 2011

• Happy Money: Understand and Heal Your Relationship with Money
  • Refinery29 Money Diaries: Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know About Your Finances... And Everyone Else's
  • The Spender's Guide to Debt-Free Living: How a Spending Fast Helped Me Get from Broke to Badass in Record Time
  • Spider-Man
  • Social Media Success for Every Brand: The Five StoryBrand Pillars That Turn Posts Into Profits
  • Everyday Millionaires: How Ordinary People Built Extraordinary Wealth--And How You Can Too
  • The 30-Day Money Cleanse: Take Control of Your Finances, Manage Your Spending, and De-Stress Your Money for Good
  • Weather
  • Strange Planet
  • Night of the Dragon (Shadow of the Fox, #3)
  • How to Be Fine: What We Learned from Living by the Rules of 50 Self-Help Books
  • Ghost-Spider, Vol. 1: Dog Days Are Over
  • The Gathering Storm (The Wheel of Time, #12)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Bane Chronicles
  • The Shadowhunter's Codex

The Accidental Library Series (2 books)
  • The Accidental Systems Librarian