Start by marking “Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis” as Want to Read:
Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis

Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  256 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
"Love Must Be Tough" offers realistic hope for troubled marriages. The principle of "tough love" is discussed in response to the most serious indicator of potential family breakup-a lack of respect. With over 1 million copied sold, this book presents God's plan to restore and maintain love.
Audio, 256 pages
Published June 25th 1996 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Love Must Be Tough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Must Be Tough

Carolyn F.
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book saved my marriage (well and the tapes to the radio program where he talked about this book too). Things you must not do: 1) Cry and ask what you can do to stop them from leaving, messing around, ignoring you. Stay strong. You can cry when you're alone, but do not cry in front of your spouse! 2) Do not make them stay, make them leave. Do not try to live in the same house. It won't work. You'll just be miserable and their life won't have changed at all. 3) Do not yell and scream. Another ...more
Steve
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this more than 5 stars I would.

I hear people misuse the phrase "tough love" to apply to being mean spirited. That's not what this is about. It's about not loosing your dignity and individuality in the name of love for another person. It is very disappointing when your spouse makes choices to follow their own selfish, self-centered pleasures and desires, and disregards any respect for you and the virtues of a loving relationship. Appeasement is not the answer, but unfortunately i
Geokowgurl
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!! What a great book!! I wish I could give it a 10 star rating! This is a must read for all people in a marriage or getting ready to start a marriage, preferably BEFORE they need it! I hadn't ever heard of this book until I was in dire need of it and a friend recommended it to me. I started reading Chapter 1 on the internet and was SO comforted by it, I bought it. I have now read it twice and have gained something new both times. To everyone out there struggling with infidelity in a marriage ...more
Leslie
Jul 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
excellent advise to the weaker partner in a failing relationship
Jeff Williams
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ever been dumped? Ever been through a divorce, or know someone who can't seem to get over one? Read this book or give it to that person. By far, the best book for the hurting ex-wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend. It gives you the tools to move on with your life and be even better than you ever thought you were. Dr. Dobson, you knocked it out of the park, sir.
Laurie
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
VERY interesting book that teaches a lot about human nature.
Kevin Sartain
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you must truly be tough because you truly love, this book will help you stand strong. Surprisingly raw from Dobson.
Julie
Sep 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it to help me understand what a friend was going through. I was totally depressed the whole time I read it and have decided that all my friends MUST stay happily married...for my sake.

Becki
Dr. Dobson�s best seller from 1983 republished in 1996.\n\nI read this book upon a recommendation and with the understanding that the �marriage crisis� Dr. Dobson focuses on primarily is adultery but that the �tough love� principles outlines can apply to really any situation. And after reading it I find that to be very valid.\n\nSuccessful marriages are not about lovey, dovey gooey feelings (I�ve always known that). It comes down to respect and knowing your boundaries. And I�ll be honest � while ...more
Helene
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Dr. Dobson provides helpful insight regarding the internal struggle of both victims and offenders in cases of infidelity. I don't agree with all that he recommends, but his advice is undoubtedly rooted in a high value of family. I do agree that love must be tough sometimes. He focuses more on what is statistically true of relationships and marriages in America and less on what is Scripturally true about marriage and family. He missed the mark on the foundation of a good marriage, which is surpri ...more
Donny
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book on relationship, especially on family. The focus of the book is on the dealings with infidelity in the marriage, and also some practical advices on other marriage matters.

The advices in the book are quite practical, and truly logical. It's a good reference for all married couples, and definitely a must-read for troubled couples. For singles, some practical advices are given as well to make yourself 'marketable'.
Lisa Hall
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book with some unexpected insights from the author. Not just party line "Divorce is evil" claptrap. Gives some good advice about dealing with an adulterous spouse, geared to helping the "victim" find dignity, resolution and closure. I wish he had expanded the concepts further than the confines of adultery, however.
Tara White
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all say we would or would not react to a crisis in a certain way. This book challenges that with real life situations at the heart of our lives. The marriage. Never give advice to another in a marital crisis unless you have read this book. It will change the way you react to the actions of others. Forever.
Amy
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book and although my situation was a bit different, since my husband battles sexual addiction, many of the things he mentioned in his book were of great use to me! The thing is you must apply them in order for them to be effective and it could be a bit scary at first but man was it empowering! Two thumbs up for Dr. Dobson!!!
Darlene
this was one good book and i only wish i had listened to it better
Debbie Duran
Great practical advice for a difficult period in my life. Very encouraging.
Read1000books
In a word, if you are a parent, read Dr. Dobson.
Karla Goforth Abreu
An excellent source on practicing "tough love"
Kathy
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
helpful... a must read and not just when you are in need
D.L. Price
This book is for anyone who is going through a tough time with their marriage or relationship. A must read for the victim!
Javier Suarez
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Been tough it doesn't mean to be mean, in this book is teaching us that being tough is to be kind and in every trial we going through.
Cws
Aug 29, 2017
Ben B
Feb 09, 2011
John Fisher
rated it did not like it
Aug 15, 2016
  • The Language of Love: How to Quickly Communicate Your Feelings and Needs
  • Parenting Today's Adolescent: Helping Your Child Avoid the Traps of the Preteen and Teen Years
  • Beyond Our Selves
  • His Brain, Her Brain: How Divinely Designed Differences Can Strengthen Your Marriage
  • Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled?: A 3-Step Program to: Beat Hormone Havoc, Restore Thyroid, Adrenal, and Reproductive Balance, and Feel Better Fast!
  • Prodigals and Those Who Love Them
  • Iodine : Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It
  • Woman Power: Transform Your Man, Your Marriage, Your Life
  • Tired of Trying to Measure Up
  • A More Excellent Way: Be in Health: Pathways of Wholeness, Spiritual Roots of Disease
  • Fresh Brewed Life: A Stirring Invitation to Wake Up Your Soul
  • Love Life for Every Married Couple: How to Fall in Love and Stay in Love
  • Grow Younger, Live Longer: Ten Steps to Reverse Aging
  • One Minute After You Die: A Preview of Your Final Destination
  • Hiding from Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and Imprison You
  • Out of the Blue
  • The Signature of God: Astonishing Biblical Discoveries
  • Every Man's Marriage: An Every Man's Guide to Winning the Heart of a Woman
James C. Dobson is a psychologist, commentator, and writer. He is the founder of Focus on the Family, a group advocating what he views as Christian ethics and political conservatism, and hosts a radio program of the same name.
More about James C. Dobson...