Start by marking “The King of Thieves (Knights Templar, #26)” as Want to Read:
The King of Thieves (Knights Templar, #26)

The King of Thieves (Knights Templar #26)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  221 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
1325. Sir Baldwin de Furnshill and his friend Simon Puttock are sent to France with Bishop Walter II of Exeter to guard the King's son on his journey to the French King, Charles IV. The King's son must pay homage to the powerful monarch if he is to enable the English to keep hold of vital territory in France.
Published June 11th 2009 by Headline (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The King of Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King of Thieves

Puzzle Doctor
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding entry into the series - one of the very best. Full review at classicmystery.wordpress.com
Josh
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysteries or the medieval time period
I mistakenly made the error of reading this book without realizing it is just one in an unfolding saga about the Middle Ages, that it clearly has its place in the series with many previous events being alluded to and these new events paving the way for the next book to follow. At first this threw me a bit, but I soon became immersed into the story and was able to understand everything that was happening without having read the previous books, clearly a good sign of the author who was well aware ...more
Michael Jecks
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
This book was great fun to write. I'd been looking forward to it for ages.

The Queen had gone to France to negotiate a peace with her brother, the King of France, and Bishop Walter of Exeter was placed in charge of the Prince. But when Simon and Baldwin arrive, they realize the Queen is causing a scandal with Sir Roger Mortimer, an exile from England. And then, while they rest in the Louvre, Baldwin and Simon uncover an assassination plot that could theaten England's future ...

The great thing ab
Debbie
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Jecks' series - Sir Baldwin and crew are engaging, multi-faceted and continue to grow despite being such a long series. I haven't been disappointed yet with any of his books. He is a detailed and careful historian who infuses the flavor of life in the middle ages into his stories.

I hate having to wait for these books to be published in the UK, and I actually got this book directly from Mike Jecks himself with his signature - he had offered signed copies of the book through his email newsle
Ruth
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-historical
c2008: FWFTB: France, homage, revenge, crown, secret. This was a slog. I was so bored that I started to clean out a cupboard rather than pick the book up again. I was looking forward to the book because the synopsis sounded great but I found the plot just meandering. I have not read all the books in the series so did not have the investment in the various characters to enjoy that part of the book. Apologies, but unable to recommend.
Carol
Jan 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, Baldwin and Simon are sent to France to guard the newly created Duke of Aquitaine who is to swear fealty to King Charles IV his Uncle. Bishop Stapledon is to go to he has the power to grant Queen Isabella funds but only if she returns to England which she refuses to do.
While they are there several murders take place two in the Kings palace and Bishop Walter is blamed, Baldwin and Simon must solve the crimes in order to protect the Bishop.
Tim Heywood
Set in Paris, Jecks shows the same attention to historical detail as demonstrated in his other novels. Nice intrigue, keeps guessing most of the way, nice to see a few twists and turns as a result of the political scheming.
Joshua
Jun 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Jeck's had stopped before the last three chapters and rethought how he was going to end his mystery, I might have given it five stars. Still, I'm way too invested in the series to not read the next book.
Frederick-Ian Todd
Loved the characters and the writing style which encompassed great humour and intriguing plots.Must look out for more.
Mercedes H.
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro entretenido y muy bien documentado
Jay
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jecks is getting too historical and losing his characters
Diana Marques
I expected more from this book, but it is a good book for those who like historical novels.
I liked it, but my expectations were a bit higher.
Randy Field
Sep 26, 2015
Heraklia
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Fear in the Forest (Crowner John Mystery #7)
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Isaac Of Girona, #1)
  • The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1)
  • The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)
  • The Mark of a Murderer (Matthew Bartholomew, #11)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)