Start by marking “The Advancing Guitarist: Applying Guitar Concepts & Techniques” as Want to Read:
The Advancing Guitarist: Applying Guitar Concepts & Techniques

The Advancing Guitarist: Applying Guitar Concepts & Techniques

Veteran musician and educator Mick Goodrick presents practical information for guitarists who want to improve their playing technique and style and simply become better musicians. Rather than a step-by-step method book, the information is presented in a general essay format, discussing ways that the various techniques covered may be applied by the advancing guitarist to en ...more
Published November 1st 1987 by Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about The Advancing Guitarist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Advancing Guitarist

Start your review of The Advancing Guitarist: Applying Guitar Concepts & Techniques
Kevin
Oct 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
The Advancing Guitarist

This is a remarkable book; a book guitar player’s should have on their shelf. The Advancing Guitarist covers so much ground that it is nearly impossible to master every section in a single lifetime. Ah’ what am I talking about, who am I to tell others what they can or cannot master in their lifetime. My advise to all would be to purchase a copy of this book and lock yourself in a private, quiet room and dig in.

Some guitar players who have never stud
Ghola
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you play guitar and don't own/consult this book, you are REALLY selling yourself short. Goodrick deals more with concepts than methods...but he is brilliant at explaining those concepts in a variety of ways. I use this as a resource...I work through a concept or two, then put the book down while I "internalize" what I've learned. Easily a lifetime of work contained within.
Josh
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: list-09-guitar
So Humble, so wise.

This book is about life as well as guitar.

The essays at the back are indispensable, as philosophical treatise's more than just guitar.

Mick, you are a good friend, and I haven't even met you.
Geoff Young
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first attempted to read this nearly 30 years ago, I couldn't make any sense of it. Now, after three decades of playing guitar, I'm thrilled to report that I still don't understand most of it, though I find the author's concepts fascinating and am determined to make use of them somehow.

The book is peppered with random bits of philosophy that are every bit as intriguing and sometimes downright bizarre as the musical ideas. The writing is idiosyncratic and often oblique, two trai
James Murrell
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. It is a method book for making your own method for playing guitar. I have wore out 4 copies of "The Advancing Guitarist" and, still I find something new & refreshing every time I pick the book up. It's my opinion that "The Advancing Guitarist" is the most important of all the guitar books ever written.
Thank you Mick Goodrick!!!
James Murrell
Darren
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book requires work.

Lots of it.

Definitely not a "read" for those looking for a how-to book. It's value, as the author points out early on, is not what's on the page or how it's presented, but rather what the reader does with it. Given that the learning curve hits a solid 90 degree wall in short order, it's certainly smacks of a collection of thoughts, useful [buyer beware] exercises, and points of view that are probably best taken in moderation - and revisited with other music t
Sam Wright
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best guitar books I have ever purchased. I will come back to this book for years to come.
Daniel
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Its a book you always and continuously revisit , not much of a read per se but a permanent reference book. drop 2/ drop 4 voicings doe
James Carroll
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of book that I can chew on in little bits for years to come. I wish Goodrick was a bit more clear, but the open-ended nature of his writing allows for the reader to make her or his own discoveries. This is a brilliant addition to every guitarist's library.
Paul Hayes
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
It isn't a typical instructional book. Instead of a graded course, the author encourages guitarists to dip in and out of the many topics contained therein.
As the title suggests, it's not a beginner's book, but a thought-provoking set of tools to enable improvising guitarists to master their technique. There's a lifetime's worth of "lessons" in this book if it is used properly.
Michael Kamper
Nuno Miguel
Nov 25, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Chord Chemistry
  • Guitar Aerobics: A 52-Week, One-lick-per-day Workout Program for Developing, Improving and Maintaining Guitar Technique
  • Thus Spoke Zarathustra
  • Creative Guitar 1: Cutting-Edge Techniques, Book & CD
  • Making Music. 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers
  • The Study of Orchestration
  • A Modern Method for Guitar: Volumes 1, 2, 3 Complete
  • Law of Attraction: The Science of Attracting More of What You Want and Less of What You Don't
  • The Up Side of Down: Why Failing Well Is the Key to Success
  • The Guitar Grimoire: A Compendium of Forumlas for Guitar Scales and Modes
  • Life
  • The Practicing Mind: Bringing Discipline and Focus into Your Life
  • Charlie Parker Omnibook: For C Instruments (Treble Clef)
  • Zoroastrianism
  • Open
  • She Comes First: The Thinking Man's Guide to Pleasuring a Woman
  • How to Practice Jazz
  • Lesbian Sex Secrets for Men

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »