Start by marking “Deaf Child Crossing (Deaf Child Crossing #1)” as Want to Read:
Deaf Child Crossing (Deaf Child Crossing #1)

Deaf Child Crossing (Deaf Child Crossing #1)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  495 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Oscar-winning actor Marlee Matlin teaches us about friendship, differences, and patience in this buoyant and fulfilling novel featuring Megan, a deaf girl, and her new best friend.

Young Cindy's family has just moved to Morton Street, and Megan is already at her doorstep. At first, outgoing Megan seems both exciting and overwhelming, with fast-a
Published March 1st 2004 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2002)

Candice707
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Deaf Child Crossing was a great book! I really enjoyed reading it. The book is in third person. It's about this girl named Megan who's deaf. When a girl named Cindy moves into her neighborhood, Megan becomes excited. Megan thought that maybe Cindy will be her best friend. When Megan and Cindy introduced themselves they became really close. They had play dates, sleepovers. Over the summer they both went to camp, but Cindy was getting a little bit jealous because Megan was hanging out with anothe ...more
Erin
I enjoyed this story, largely because the deaf main character, Megan, is the one who behaves like a jerk. It makes her seem more like a real ten-year-old, and is understandable coming from a child who is frustrated with her limitations. The characters in general are pretty balanced, complete with both flaws and virtues, and I thought this gave the story a little more depth and believability. It was interesting to see through this window into deaf culture, as written by a deaf woman. It seems obv ...more
Sophie
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Deaf child crossing is a book that demonstrates and true friendship. Two girls, Cindy and Megan, from totally different back grounds come together and become the best of friends even though one, Megan, is deaf. They overcome the challenge of communication when Cindy decided to learn sign language. They begin to spend hours every day together and become BFFs. With Cindy's motivation Megan decides to go to camp.

It starts off well until Megan makes friends with another deaf girl and Cindy is quick
Jane K
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I think it showed all the struggles of being deaf, and all the struggles of having a friend who is deaf. I thought that this was a really good book and that Marlee Matlin did a really good job writing it. i wonder what it would be like to have a friend or someone close to you who is deaf. You would have to learn sign language to communicate with that person and you would have to send them to a different school. It would probably cost more money. Anyway, I thought that i ...more
Megan Anderson
Dec 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: formystudents, 2009
A student suggested this to me, and it was okay. Cute. But I think I was expecting something more from it, since the author herself is deaf. I didn't hate it, but it's not going to make it onto my "will-read-once-per-year" shelf.

3/5 on here, 7/10 for myself
Mauri
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
It wasn't that bad, but I felt like there was a little too much "I'm ten-years-old and that's going to completely derail everything I try to do!!!!1!" I ended up wanting to smack both main characters. And then everything is resolved by a hair-pulling fight in the last five pages? What?
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I wish Matlin would write more children's books with deaf characters.
Jessica
See more of my reviews on my blog Thoughts At One In The Morning.

My Thoughts:

I picked this book up because #1, I love Marlee Matlin, and #2, it follows a girl who is deaf, and a girl who is friends with a girl who is deaf. It is a middle grade book, and a very fast read by comparison to what I read normally. So much of the writing is very simple and easy to follow.

Megan and Cindy are both very nice girls (although quite stubborn at times). Megan can be obnoxious, and Cindy can be overly helpful.
Esther
Jenni Frencham
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meh. I read this book as part of a requirement for an ALA class. It is written on a lower elementary level a la Junie B. Jones, but the cover, the typeset, the size of the book all tell me it's for middle grade children. Also, the story is VERY dated b/c of the technology mentioned. The main character has a computer that - gasp! -goes on the internet to a chat room where she talks with other kids. She also plays with her family's landline.

If technology is going to be integral to a story, then th
Allison
Jan 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, disabilities
Megan is a deaf girl who wants a best friend. When Cindy moves in at the beginning of summer, they quickly hit it off. Cindy even learns sign language for Megan! But when the girls go to summer camp together, Megan ignores Cindy to talk to another deaf girl, and the friendship is fractured. Can it be repaired before school starts back in the fall? This book was a little too cheery all the time, and very simply written. The girls are nine years old, and I understand the audience is probably that ...more
Darlene
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent read....it opens up how deaf children co exist in a hearing world and the possibilities that a new bff offer to any child. Megan was a homebody with few friends until a new little girl move in and the new little girl determined to make friends with Megan learns sign language . the world really opens when Cindy agrees to go to "summer camp" with Megan. The friendship experiences up and down but summer camp works to cement a more solid friendship. I recommend this book. i ...more
Kimberley Shaw
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kudos to Matlin for this positive view of growing up Deaf! The story is enjoyable to read, and provides good information for those not familiar with Deaf experience. However, readers must be aware that not every d/Deaf kid gets along quite so well in the mainstream. For further reading on the topic (nonfiction), I highly recommend Gina Oliva's "Alone in the mainstream" and "Turning the tide".
For a novel about a kid who does NOT get along well with the mainstream, see "A Handful of Spells", 97819
Danielle
With the seriousness of the cover and the title, I didn't realize at first that this is a book with a target demographic of 8-12 years. The main characters are nine-year-old neighbors, one deaf, one hearing. They fight, they make up. I think their feelings and arguments are appropriate for their age. But overall, the story just wasn't that interesting. Ages 7-10 might be more realistic, with a long picture book format, rather than 200 pages.

7/69 tbr box 2015.
Kara
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
It's a cute story and I enjoyed it. However, as an adult who was HOH and mainstreamed with no other kids with hearing loss/physical disabilities K-12 I do wonder how accurate some of the portrayal is. Most adults I know with hearing loss who were completely mainstreamed were rather shy and hid their hearing loss. I know I did. I'm going to read the other two books about Megan just out of curiosity.
Joanna
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I found myself laughing at times. Matlin does a great job of bringing up many cultural aspects to the Deaf (and HOH). She uses the perspective of a Deaf child born to a hearing family who uses powerful hearing aids and her experiences to bring out the hardships that Deaf children face, endure, and overcome. I enjoyed it. An easy and relaxing read. I personally didn't learn anything new, but enjoyed the story and the incorporation of Deafness within the pages of the book.
Bec
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, even though it is aimed at the younger reader. Marlee obviously drew on her personal experience to make this book very realistic. includeded some good leassons everyone could use without raming it down your throat. Looking forward to reading the next book - Nobody's Perfect.
Gina
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read this book as part of my Children With Disabilities class. It was interesting to see how easy it is for miscommunication between friends, as the story from alternating points of view; Megan, who is deaf and Cindy, who can hear. However, the story was not well written, the age of the girls in the story was off and I felt the author was 'writing down' to children.
Jen Kilpatrick
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
I gave it one star for having a deaf character...and one star for nostalgic memories of my childhood...otherwise I didn't really like this book at all. Kudos for effort. It is a book my students can see themselves in and includes an accurate portrayal of ASL and deafness...but the writing isn't grand and the story is a bit cliche.
Carly
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I read this for as research for a paper I'm working on for my American Sign Language class. It was a decent story, but a bit cliched. Worth reading overall, though. And worth passing on to a child, especially one curious about deafness and how to act around a deaf child.
Janine
Jan 04, 2009 added it
I am a huge Marlee Matlin fan so when this book came into my hands I had to read it! Very well written examines the mind of a deaf young girl and what challenges she has to overcome to fit into Normal society... Must read!
Megalion
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This is definitely a children's story and written to appeal to a reader of 8-11 yrs old.

It was ok but for my own notes, I didn't finish reading it because the story was being told too simplistically.
Jemma
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I could not believe that I read this book in three days; it is aimed at 8 to 12 years old. Being a Sign User myself I loved it!

If you to read more of my review; please head over to me blog - Paper A Plenty at Wordpress
Sophie
May 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Love the author and the insight into the life of a deaf girl. However, the main character seemed like a spoiled brat and really bothered me. The plot was also predictable from reading the inside cover. Only read the book because of the author mostly.
Kelly Rae
Jan 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: juv-fiction
I had to read this for my ALSC class: Children with Disabilities in the Library. It was required and that was the only reason I finished it. The writing was excruciating, the characters limited and predictable.
Jacqueline115
Sep 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, deaf-issues
This book reminded me so much of my relationship with my childhood best friend Caryn. The things we did and our upbringing was so similiar. :)
Michelle
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
This was a good look into the life of a deaf child. However, the writing and editing were poor, and there is only so much tween girl drama that I can handle.
Megan Moore
May 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: megan-s-classics
This girl was a lot like me! except that she' s deaf. she has a purple room and her name is Megan like me!
Alexis Satterfield
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very good book for younger kids. But, don't get me wrong it still was a great book to read.
Jamie
  • Deaf Like Me
  • Train Go Sorry: Inside a Deaf World
  • Inside Deaf Culture
  • What's That Pig Outdoors?: A Memoir of Deafness
  • For Hearing People Only: Answers to the Most Commonly Asked Questions About the Deaf Community, Its Culture, and the "Deaf Reality"
  • Talking Hands: What Sign Language Reveals about the Mind
  • A Loss for Words: The Story of Deafness in a Family
  • A Place of Their Own: Creating the Deaf Community in America
  • Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness on Martha's Vineyard
  • Strong Deaf
  • In This Sign
  • The Unheard: A Memoir of Deafness and Africa
  • Hurt Go Happy
  • The Joy of Signing: The Illustrated Guide for Mastering Sign Language and the Manual Alphabet
  • The Brave
  • The Magic Paintbrush
Marlee Matlin, deaf since she was eighteen months old, won the Academy Award and Golden Globe Award for Best Actress for her role in Children of a Lesser God. She was also nominated for Emmy Awards for her performances in Seinfeld, Picket Fences, The Practice and Law And Order: SVU. Marlee also guest starred on ABCs award winning Desperate Housewives, My Name is Earl and CSI: New York. In 2007 Mar ...more
More about Marlee Matlin

Deaf Child Crossing (3 books)
  • Nobody's Perfect (Deaf Child Crossing #2)
  • Leading Ladies (Deaf Child Crossing #3)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
  • A Map of the World
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)