Start by marking “The Hot Flash Club” as Want to Read:
The Hot Flash Club

The Hot Flash Club

(Hot Flash Club #1)

This wise, wonderful, and delightfully witty New York Times bestseller is a coming of age novel about four intrepid women who discover themselves as they were truly meant to be: passionate, alive, and ready to face the best years of their lives.
Published June 27th 2006 by Fawcett Books (first published December 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Hot Flash Club, please sign up.
Becky It has a solid ending so I'm guessing that your Kindle app may not have loaded it completely. Try deleting the book and then reloading it so you can…moreIt has a solid ending so I'm guessing that your Kindle app may not have loaded it completely. Try deleting the book and then reloading it so you can read the complete ending. (less)

Fiona Brichaut
Sep 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: those seeking the lightest read possible
While I usually prefer more serious fiction, every now and then I like to relax with some fun chick lit. Some of it is excellent, incisive, insightful, and even well written in some cases.

This is none of those things. It's just fluffy nonsense and as easily forgotten as an ice cream. I was half way through before I realised I had even read it before. I can't remember what I thought of it first time round, but this time I found it poorly written, poorly constructed, with poor characterisation, fu
Peg
Jun 13, 2010 rated it liked it
"Women of a certain age" will definitely identify with the woes of the females in this book. I bought it because I loved Beachcombers, Thayer's most recent work. This book's plot intrigued me. It takes place in Boston, a city I'm familar with and is about a diverse group of women struggling to accept aging and the career and relationship changes that often accompany the process. I appreciate the proactive way the characters deal with their woes and the general air of positivity throughout.

It mu
Mary
Jul 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, chick-lit
I have read Thayer books and enjoyed them BUT this one just did not capture my interest. I am almost finished with it and this morning decided "why bother"? I found myself not really caring what happened to ANY of the characters. So, I am placing it on my DISCARDED shelf and cannot recommend it.
Deborah Schultz
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I enjoyed the variety in the four women, their developing friendship, and how they were all able to comfort, support, and help each other.
Michelle
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Hot Flash Club is about four middle age women and the various issues each faced as they aged and about how they adjusted to life under their own individual circumstances. Of course, one of the main issues each was faced was the man, or lack of a man, in their lives. They came together by chance and had dinner and lots of wine and chocolate. It was then they decided to keep meeting, mostly for the wine and chocolate, to help each other in their adjustment to their current situations. Alice to ...more
Thebestdogmom
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not a bad book, entertaining.
Robin
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book! These women with all differentjobs,likes and skills get together and create the Hot flash Club. Very enjoyable read.
Antof9
Review from BookCrossing: I read this on the plane on a business trip to New Jersey, and now it's back on DMA7's desk, waiting to be sent to the BCer who was interested in it :) (long story, but it boils down to this -- I only take books on trips that I can release or give to someone on the other end. I don't want to take them back home with me once I've read them. So I brought an envelope and stamps with me, knowing I'd finish that book this trip, and then never got close to packing tape or a m ...more
Barbara
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I picked this up because I wondered about its hot pink cover and needed a little humor. I'm in the middle of reading some other pretty heavy books and considering the results of the recent election I felt I needed something really really light.

It started out OK. A group of women meet and discover they have in common the "joys" of female aging. I was laughing as I recognized myself in some of their comments on their bodies and figured I might enjoy this.

Not much. The four decide they will meet
Susan
Nov 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Having just finished reading a Michael Chabon novel, I initially, found the characters and plot of The Hot Flash Club to be 'trite'. Women forming such friendship bonds so quickly? I don't think so. A university professor leaving her research to act as a secretary to spy for the friend she met the day before? Most unliklely.
I was doubtful that I could finish it. I persevered (I can not start to read a book and not finish it!) and by the end I didn't loath it. But I won't be buying the sequels.
JoAnn/QuAppelle
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes all I ask of a book is that it entertain me for a few hours. I do not always need fine writing or realistic developments. Improbable is sometimes okay!

That being said, I really enjoyed spending a couple of days with these ladies "of a certain age". They were fun and interesting and had (mostly) real problems and issues - even if the author did allow them to solve their problems too conveniently! I am always glad to read about women who develop and treasure friendships as much as I do.
Jan
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I'm so glad this book was well-punctuated and displayed proper syntax or I might have had nothing good to say about it. Is it cute? Maybe. Is it full of predictable scenarios and cliched characters? Absolutely. Is it engaging? Not in the least. And my friend loaned me the next three books in the series. My concern is this: Do I skim them and lie and say they were fun? Or tell the truth? I am glad my friend reads--something I never would have guessed about her. I am sorry she pressed all four Hot ...more
bookczuk
Jan 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
I have a confession. When I picked this up to read, I realized that I'd tried to read it once before and it didn't grab me then. Despite its absolutely wonderful title, it still doesn't grab me. I even waited and tried it again when I was "of an age" with the characters. Nope. Didn't work. Yet I know there are devoted fans out there. I still can't put my finger on what exactly I don't like. I've learned that some chick lit can be fun but this wasn't fun for me. My girlfriends and I live a funnie ...more
Kat Duncan
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The close unlikely friendships formed from such different, unique women was brilliant. The way their lives intermingled to share and support each others' situations made me want to be part of the Hot Flash Club. Well, without the Hot flashes, lol. Can't wait to read the 2nd book in this sequal. As always, Nancy Thayer pulled me into her book, feeling like the characters were truly my friends.
Linda
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone between the age of 50-65 or anyone knowing someone that age
Great book and cant wait to finish the series.

This is a must for anyone between the ages of 50-65 or if you have a month going through those years.

It is about women that did not know each other and met at a retirement party for a mutual friend. Who would know that they would become best friends and help each other go through this period of their lives. Husbands, male friends, hot flashes, parents, children, grandchildren and other changes in their bodies and minds.
Hannie
Een heerlijk boek. Hoewel ik nog niet tot de doelgroep behoor, vond ik het toch een leuk boek. Het verhaal is grappig en hartverwarmend. Het gaat om vier oudere vrouwen die zich uitgerangeerd voelen. Tot ze elkaar leren kennen op een feestje. Door de onderlinge vriendschap voelen ze zich beter. Daarnaast helpen ze elkaar bij hun problemen. Op het laatst moest het boek uit. Nu op naar deel 2 van deze serie.
Sherri
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
As a 54 year old woman I had a lot of laughs with this book. Yes there are some parts that are unbelievable but this is chic lit at it's finest as far as I am concerned. I just picked up the audio book for a light book after reading 2 heavy ones and now I am going back for the sequels! Sometimes we just need to be entertained and these ladies did it for me!
Lorna
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you are over 40 this is a must read..Four friends and what happens in their lives and how "the change" effects them. It will make you laugh and maybe make you cry.. Start with this first and the series and read them all.
Leslea
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very entertaining book about 4 older ladies (late 50s early 60s) becoming friends, trying to cope with ageing, grown-up children and life in general. A lovely light read that kept a smile on my face.
Nattymarsha
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was simply looking for books in the used bookstore when the hot pink cover caught I attention. I am quite glad that it did. I loved the way Ms. Thayer wrote the story: romance, comedy, conflict with a bit of a punch to it.
Charity Jackson
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ok...so I may not be menopausal, but I still enjoyed this book. I guess because it was not only informative of what may come, but also of the hope and change that it brings in its wake. I know one thing is for certain. Friends make it a whole lot easier!
Christy Elkins
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I read this I was nowhere close to being in the Hot Flash Club but I still found it ammusing and cleverly written. I really enjoyed this book and often buy it for those entering this very special club. :)
Sherri
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
what an awesome book! its laugh out loud funny and you just cant put it down, i am so glad this is a series, i cant wait to read the next one!
Linda
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Everyone will love this book and will be able to relate. You don't want this book to stop, fortunately, there are others after this one. You will simply enjoy them all!
Maria
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read

Funny and though predictable, very entertaining. I would recommend this book to anyone going through change in life. Happy reading.
Ida
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great, light book...the power of friendship is mighty!
Kathy-Diane
Oct 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a fun light read as winter drags its heels.
KATHY HORA
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story

Positive and light , easy reading. The kind of book you could spend the day on the couch with - and enjoy every minute of it.
Jean
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
What Sue said...enjoyable, fun read... little too perfect at the end and good discussion, led by Sue, about aging.
Julie
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gosh, this book is getting really bad reviews. I thought I'd better get a kind word in. I've been reading some classics lately, mostly F.Scott Fitzgerald, & I wanted to step back in real time with our beach vacation coming up. Before lugging the rest of the series on our trip I figured I'd test this first one. I ended up finishing it within hours. Look at the title! I wasn't expecting great literature, & this book isn't great literature. It is exactly what its cover promises. It's chick- ...more
  • The Red Hat Club
  • Summer Blowout
  • A False Sense of Well Being
  • Marrying Mom
  • A Family Christmas
  • Little Bitty Lies
  • The Stepmothers' Support Group
  • Bet Your Bottom Dollar (Bottom Dollar Girls #1)
  • The Hazards of Sleeping Alone
  • Second Prize
  • Suddenly
  • Stupid Cupid
  • Until The Real Thing Comes Along
Nancy Thayer has a B.A. and M.A. in English literature from the University of Missouri at Kansas City. Before settling down to write and have children she taught English at various colleges and traveled, living in Paris, Amsterdam and Helsinki. In 1981 she was a Fellow at the Breadloaf Writers Conference. She has lived on Nantucket Island year round for twenty-five years with her husband Charley W ...more

Hot Flash Club (4 books)