Start by marking “Waterways” as Want to Read:

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  417 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Kory was having enough trouble in high school. His girlfriend just dumped him, his poetry made him a target for ridicule, and college applications were looming. The very last thing he needed was to fall in love with another boy.
Waterways is the complete novel from award-winning author Kyell Gold that includes his beloved story "Aquifers". Join Kory as his feelings and fait
Published (first published January 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Waterways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waterways

Elisa Rolle
How I like when I find a book, a real long and complex book, which takes me tied up from the first page to the last with the eagerness to read faster to know what happens and the hope to slow down to make it lasts a bit more. And when I finish the book, I wish to start it again to convince me that, yes, I just read a very very good book and that yes, I found another author that will gift me many beautiful stories in the future...

Kory is a seventeen years old guy. Middle-class family, private sch
Kassa
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book by Gold I’ve read and I think this author has a real knack for clever, interesting stories. The anthropomorphic world he creates is vibrant, engaging, and fresh even while at the heart the stories are simply about a boy meeting a boy and struggling to come out and mature. These young adult stories are warm and charming, even more so with the animal element. I’ve heard some readers say they’re put off by this very detail but I urge readers to take a chance, I think you’ll ...more
Olga
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance, fantasy, 2013
Yeah, I wish I'd be more enthusiastic about this book as so many others here, unfortunately i lost any interest in characters and development after 2/3 of the story. It was so fun at the beginning, kory was so passive yet strong, but then it went downhill for me. It was to much whining for me... Like chewing on extremely tasteless bubble gum... I wasn't sure how someone would endure Korys attitude. While I read like 50 pages if his whining and self pity at the end I stopped to care about him (t. ...more
Ashke
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This has to be one of the best GLBT coming of age stories I've read in a very long time. Its characters are fleshed out to the point that they feel real and you care deeply for them, even the minor ones, and its a refreshing break from many cliches that riddle books with the same themes. Whether you're a fan of anthropomorphic animals is irrelevant here. This is a must read for lovers of great character stories and one that you won't be able to put down.
El-jorro
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bookworm Speaks!

by Kyell Gold

*****

On Friday, June 26th, 2015, a date that shall be remembered for history everlasting, The Supreme Court of the United States of America, ruled in recognition of same-sex marriage across the country. It is now legal for gay and lesbian couples to get married in every single state. Truly…a victory for progressives everywhere, ensuring greater equality for every stripe of the human race. To mark this auspicious occasion for human rights, Bookworm shall rev
Thomas Mendivil
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Youths confused about the sexuality
Shelves: furry, gay, coming-out
This book is what sort of pulled me into the furry fandom. When I found this book, I was rather confused about my sexuality, and reading about people (or animal-people, in this case) going though a sort of what I did was interesting. How did they handle it? What can I learn from them? While I can't really say what I learned then, I know now much more about handling myself and acceptance. This book helped with that.

Kory was kind of like me: religious, in school, and unsure about a part of himself
T.J.
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-4 stars. A sweet YA coming of age story that treads the familiar in how the story is executed, even if the MC's are an otter (!!!!) and a fox. I guess the major problem for me about this would have been the real lack of conflict and, given what conflict there were, felt like it'd been done before. Still, the "furry" aspect of it intrigues me and I would read more from this author.
Jonathan Mcdevitt
Waterways was not my idea of a great work, specifically because I grow tired of reading about high school romances, and gay-themed romances are no different. However, as I read through Waterways I grew to enjoy the characters, and it struck me that this was less a high school fiction and more of a drama that happened to include teenagers. We see Kory make mistakes, and we see him eventually learn from them and grow accordingly. By the end, Kory is not perfect, and neither are other characters li ...more
Huskie Slimpaw
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In principio ho iniziato a leggere Gold Standard, una collezione di racconti di Kyell Gold, molti dei quali son poi diventati romanzi veri e propri.
Volevo un testo in leggero in inglese per migliorare le mie competenze linguistiche.

Finito il primo racconto, Aquifers, ho deciso che sarebbe valsa la pena di interrompere con la raccolta e proseguire con il romanzo completo: Waterways.
Devo dire di non essermi pentito della scelta.

Trovo che, a 25 anni, le tematiche trattate nel libro siano relativame
Ricky
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's been seriously questioning their orientation and unsure about the future, furry or not.
Recommended to Ricky by: Close friend who shall be unnamed.
In a nutshell: the book that got me curious about furry fiction.

I had a friend who read this previously, as both of us started to question our orientations at the time, and he recommended it to me. So, I bought the ebook copy and started reading.

Now, I've never read romance novels before, but I'm not surprised at how unrealistic the romance came about between Kory and Samaki; it just seemed too...quick. Despite that, I felt it gave a good example of the struggles some LGBTQ teens might go throu
Kristopher
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book to anyone who struggles with their identity or knows someone who is struggling.

For me, it was such an emotional journey from cover to cover as I found how much my situation and some of my personality reflected into the characters and dramas of the story. It was an emotional roller coaster that I learned from and took a whole new perspective on my identity from.

Mr. Gold truly understands what it is he is writing. It is evident that he explores the worlds he brings
Brandon
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story I read recently, and then picked up again. The plot is very important to a lot of teens and young adults out there today who are going through something very similar. Not to mention, this was a very touching story. Having met Kyell in person, I can see where it comes from, and without a doubt, he pull together these three short stories quite well. I was glad to have read this, as it has helped me as well in my life when it comes to the message.
Robert Helms
If you are interested in having religion shoved down your throat again, and again and again this is the book for you. It is an interesting presentation of gays YA and coming out. It's exposition seems oriented towards YA but it is sold as an 18+ audience. Confusing to me. I relate to Malaya more than any other character in this book. Many books I read, I am interested in rereading again and again, NOT THIS ONE!
Benjamin
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite possibly my favorite furry book! Well written with believable characters. The main characters own troubles reflected my own and life and brought tears to my eyes. Well worth a read for furries and/or LGBT youth.
Mark
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While endearing at moments, it somewhat suffers from being written obviously from an earlier part of Gold's career. That said, I'm happy to say his later novels have matured greatly.

Still worth a read, but not nearly as enjoyable as the Out of Position series.
Manuel
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia de amor entre una nutria y un zorro. Qué más se puede pedir de la literatura Furry? =D
Ravyn
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Kinda awesome...Kyell Gold is definitely my newest favorite author.

Susinok
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not know there were ya m/m furry stories out there. It was really pretty good, too.
Louis A
no my favourite Gold book, but I fully appreciate the author's characters and narrative
Diante
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is one of the best books i have read i it was imposible to stop i read it on one day not wanting it to end this book need to be read by all in any situation
Odd-Erik Frantzen
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
Great anthropomorphic coming-of-age story dealing with coming out, religion, friendship, love, abuse and many other themes.
Sala Bim
It was just ok. Again I enjoyed the furry aspect but otherwise...
Jess Candela
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2012
Whoops, just realized I never rated this. I loved it - 4.5 stars worth. I no longer remember specifics, beyond that it was sweet and funny. I loved it and will probably reread it.
Tobiah Zarlez
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as into highschool romance, but Kyell Gold writes interesting queer characters and entertaining till the end.
Harlequin93
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: furry
Among my top 3 fav furry fiction.
Becky
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012, m-m
I really liked Kory and Samaki, but the last 1/3 of the story dragged. Would have preferred if the story was tightened/condensed a bit.
Morgan Helena Adamonis
Amazing

I loved reading this novel. It had me on the edge of my seat and I couldn't put it down for a second. I'm hoping to read more from Kyell Gold's collection. :)
Longpaw
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall it was a good book. As I read I remembered things I didn't want to. I am just glad to finnaly be done with this.
Thomas
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I've ever read and I've read quite a bit. This is perfect for anyone who might be struggling with their own sexuality. Perfect for the high schooler.
Brycen
Sep 26, 2015
  • The Price of Falling
  • Power Play
  • The Evolution of Ethan Poe
  • Enlightened (Little Boy Lost, #1)
  • Evolution (Masks #2)
  • Guardian (Aisling, #1)
  • Wrestling With Desire
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • The Ordinary Us
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • End of the Beginning (Tales from Foster High, #2)
  • Circle of Change
  • Outfield Menace
  • Fourth and Long
  • Marlowe's Ghost
  • The Pearl (The Pearl Trilogy, #1)
  • Where the Allegheny Meets the Monongahela
  • Just Hit Send
Hi there! I am a writer of gay furry fiction--but you probably know that if you've seen my book listing here. I live in California with my husband Kit, and when I'm not writing, we like to go out to eat and watch movies. We travel a lot, too, mostly around the West Coast, but occasionally to the midwest and east.

I blog at http://www.kyellgold.com/wpblog about upcoming travel plans, upcoming books
More about Kyell Gold...