Start by marking “The Tick: The Complete Edlund” as Want to Read:
The Tick: The Complete Edlund

The Tick: The Complete Edlund

(The Tick Comics)

All 12 issues of Ben Edlund's original classic comic book series are collected in The Tick: The Complete Edlund, plus as a bonus the 13th Pseudo-Tick, "what-might-have-been" final issue! Extra materials include the first Tick story from the NEC Newsletter, rarely-seen backup stories, pin-ups, and original commentary by Edlund!
Published 2008 by New England Comics Press

To ask other readers questions about The Tick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tick

Start your review of The Tick: The Complete Edlund
Michael
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Comic book readers
The Tick is awesome. I've felt that way since I first saw the now classic '90's cartoon. The cartoon was written by none other than Ben Edlund. This first volume was also written by Ben Edlund. The Tick is Ben's creation. The comic is what can be considered the greatest black and white indy book from the late 80's early 90's. This comic takes humor and superheroes to a level that could be in league with Justice League International.

This classic looks at so many different styles. You got ninja's
John Wiswell
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It feels like I've been watching adaptations of The Tick all my life. Not only was the a Fox cartoon and blissful live action show, but its influences are obvious on other series, like Venture Bros. and Middleman. It's set in that wacky world of self-acknowledged tropes, where cynicism is corrupted by cheesiness. It's a world where almost everyone takes themselves deathly seriously despite the most rational man living in a moth costume and bemoaning his boring life (thus, he must sidekick for an ...more
Pj Anderer
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Way back in early 90s or before I read all 12 issues of The Tick. This seems to be the closest thing to those, I suppose.
Greg Weaver
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect collection of silly superhero satire! It's classic Tick and Arthur at their finest.

"Laugh-out-loud funny!"
Jessica
silly and great fun! although some tropes that would be tired today
Robbie Mulcahy
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spoooooon!
Johnathon
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious comic collection that remains one of the best satires of the genre to date. Ben Edlund has a blast with the Tick, a character so dumb but endearing you can't help but root for him, even when he's ridiculing your favorite characters, from Superman to Elektra. Some gags are a bit on the nose but never not funny, and even pokes fun at itself more than once (the fact the Tick puts a tuxedo over his costume is a disguise is hilarious). It's matched excellently by Edlund's cartoony art ...more
Terrence
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
SPOON! Before the cartoon. Before the two TV series. Before the Broadway musical. Ben Edlund created the perfect super hero satire. Go back in time to read how The Tick and Arthur fought crime like nobody else.
Zachary King
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stellar superhero satire! The Tick and Arthur spoof Superman and Elektra, face off against Chairface Chippendale and an alternate Tick, and venture to New York in search of a city to save. Spoon!
Adam Graham
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Before the Tick became a popular Saturday morning cartoon character, he was a popular Independent comic book character created by Ben Edlund. Here we get to basque in the glory of this wacky superhero parody through its initial run by its creator.

The Complete Edlund collects The Tick Issues 1-12, Pseudo Tick #13, and a bunch of bonus Edlund material.

Edlund began working on the tick when he was when he was high school with a cartoon and character profile in New England Comics news letter #14.
Will
A fun, relaxing read with beautiful illustrations and a couple of refreshingly serious moments. I like the works that these comics inspired more (especially if I can count The Venture Bros. as a spiritual successor), but this is a nice piece of independent comics history and was exactly what I needed to read.
Michael
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loeg-archives
I haven't read a Tick comic since college and I was a little worried, because I have low tolerance for superhero satire, but this is really funny stuff. I wish NEC put the money into a better edition of it; this is basically just a cheap Essential/Showcase-style compendium of all the Tick stories by Edlund, plus issue 13, which was by others but concluded his issue 12 cliffhanger. Edlund keeps it lively, I think, by genuinely loving superhero stuff, rather than the mean-spirited parody exercised ...more
Paul Shillinger
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
TL;DR: A great comic, and perhaps one of the funniest I've read. Leaves out a section that many readers felt was racist.

This was the first comic book to make me laugh out loud. I picked up the first issue at my local comic shop back in the 90s and I laughed so hard at one of the sight gags that I literally had to set the comic down and walk away for a few minutes. Ben Edlund's offbeat sense of humor isn't for everyone, but if you "get him," you love him.

My only disappointment with this edition
Kevin
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ben Edlund's uproarious superhero spoof is chock full of wonderfully absurd humor. The Tick is a mysterious, nigh-invulnerable muscleman who breaks out of an asylum and makes his way to The City, thirsting for injustice in need of rectifying. He makes life hell for mild-manner reporter/ secret alien superbeing Clark Oppenheimer, tangles with hapless theme-park ninjas alongside ninjette heiress Oedipus, and finally finds a consistent foil (and sidekick) in office drone Arthur, who begins to crack ...more
John Shaw
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the first independent comic series to
garner widespread acclaim
if not widespread success
The original run of
The Tick!
from New England Comics (NEC)
was fraught with hardship
the book could never seem to come out on
anything the resembled
a regular schedule.
But for those fans who stuck with it
A unique look at super heroes
and the often ludicrous world they live in.

The Tick never did have much success in print
but it spawned not only 1 live action series
with another on the way from
Lauren
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I like The Tick. However, I probably should not have read this all at once.

I do not have a lot of sense. Neither does The Tick. That is fine.

Besides: bovine intervention. The whole thing is worth it for bovine intervention.

Overall, I prefer to see The Tick on TV, mostly because it doesn't feel like it's trying to cram everything into the smallest space possible. The Tick and Arthur need a little room to breathe.
Doug
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love The Tick! Ben Edlund's creation is a work of crazy genius. There are 13 issues in this complete volume. The first 12 are amazing, but unfortunately, the final one doesn't seem to feature the same quality of art and the writing feels like a rough first draft. It's a rather drab conclusion for what is otherwise a stellar series! I'm still rating this 5 stars because the previous 12 issues are so damn good!
Jeff Powers
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An all time classic. The original Tick comics are some of the best super-hero parodies ever made. Edlund's ridiculous humor and fantastic art really shines in this complete collection of his run on the series he created. If you are a fan of the Tick, this a must own collection, especially if you loved the animated series, which drew a number of episodes from this original run. Filled a lot of laugh out loud moments.
Grond
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
It occurs to me that the term 'Gonzo' applies to the 'Tickverse'. Indeed, take the superhero trope and set Hunter S. Thompson to the task of tackling a comic book. Surreal, weird and just plain funny the Tick goes right after the fact that superheroes would pretty much all be one flavour of insane with the Tick himself leading the charge. Fun stuff, and based on the multiple iterations of the Tick that have appeared in 'media', weirdly compelling.
Wesley Johnson
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Tick is one of my favorite comic book characters; if you've only seen the live action or animated shows, you haven't had the FULL experience. This particular book compiles creator Ben Edlund's original 13-issue run. It's a must-read for anyone jonesing for a good super hero satire. Trigger warning: book contains lots of puns.
Stacy
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Great for what it is, but not really my thing.
Berry
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
humor classic !!!!!
Liz
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!! Need more tick!
Robert Marsh
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What fun! Love the Tic. And Arthur. Good to see the Tic's misadventures getting a classy rerelease. Spoon!
Miki
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as delightful as I remember it being all those years ago, sadly.
Josh

• Harrow County, Vol. 5: Abandoned
  • Harrow County, Vol. 8: Done Come Back
  • The Maxx, Vol. 1
  • Crossed, Vol. 1
  • A Trick of Light (Stan Lee’s Alliances, #1)
  • Sports Is Hell
  • Batman: Gothic
  • Dangling Man
  • Dark Reflections
  • Nova
  • Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture
  • Running Wild
  • Trouble on Triton: An Ambiguous Heterotopia
In 1988, Ben Edlund launched the comic book that would make his name known to many comic and cartoon fans across the nation. It was the tale of a 300 lb., 7ft tall big blue insect named "The Tick". It was a character that Ben created a few years before in high school. The original series, drawn and written by Ben and published by New England Comics, only lasted 12 issues, but became quite popular ...more

The Tick Comics (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Tick Omnibus Vol. 2: Thursday Ad Infinitum
  • The Tick Omnibus Vol. 3
  • The Tick Omnibus, Vol. 4: The Tick's Giant Circus of the Mighty (The Tick Omnibus, #4)
  • The Tick Omnibus 5
  • The Tick and Arthur: Bonanza 1
  • The Tick and Arthur: The Complete Works
  • The Tick Specials: The Complete Works (The Tick Specials The Complete Works, #1)
  • The TICK and ARTHUR The Complete Works (The TICK and ARTHUR The Complete Works, Vol. 1)
  • The Tick: Big Blue Destiny, The Complete Works