Start by marking “Marvel 70th Anniversary ” as Want to Read:
Marvel 70th Anniversary

Marvel 70th Anniversary

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Celebrate a senses-shattering 70 years of Marvel Comics with this fitting tribute to the storied history of the House of Ideas This keepsake edition showcases the creative evolution of the Marvel Universe like never before by collecting the single best story from each of the past seven decades - as chosen by the True Believers themselves, the mighty Marvel fans Collecting ...more
Trade Paperback, 344 pages
Published July 22nd 2009 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Marvel 70th Anniversary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel 70th Anniversary

Craig
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
There's no way that a collection of this length can live up to any individual's expectations; I'm sure that every comics fan was horrified that their favorite story of such-and-so was excluded and something they found inferior made the cut. At least that was my reaction, but at the same time I recognize that it's a good retrospective of seven decades. For example, I'm not too fond of the '98 Avengers story, because I didn't feel it presented the characters either convincingly or realistically; T ...more
Brian
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
While I have read many of these stories before, many times, it was refreshing to have them all in one collection.
True, my choices would have been very different (as would yours) the selection in this volume is good. Not great, but good.
What I liked? Sub-Mariner by Bill Everett.... Captain America & Bucky in drag...Ditko's "Amazing Adult Fantasy" #10.... Neal Adams art....

All in all a good retrospect of the House of Ideas.

Now I want to track down many, many of those early titles.
Steven Shinder
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This TPB is full of gems: the origin of Doctor Strange, Peter Parker giving up being Spider-Man, Iron Man battling alcoholism, the X-Men battling the Hellfire Club, Wolverine fighting Gray Hulk, and the beautifully drawn and colored origin of the original Human Torch, to name a few. This is a great summary of seven decades of Marvel Comics, and the selections are justified.
Aaron Hall
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't been an avid comic book reader like myself, this is a great way to just get your feet wet on some of the classic Marvel stories. While I didn't care for each and every story, that's always going to be the case in these types of collections. I think it's a great starter book or even a great refresher on some of the more classic stories that Marvel has in their repertoire.
Caitlin
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
What a fantastic glimpse into the Marvel Universe. This compilation comprises several issues from each decade of Marvel's existence (1940s-present). So interesting to see how the art styles and plots have changed over the years.
dreams_of_a_butterfly
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Marvel superhero fans
Shelves: comic-manga, marvel
Some stories are good, some are not. An okay collection of marvel stories. I liked the early stories best, and like how Namor is drawn in "Sub-mariner". My favorites are "Sub-mariner", and "The red ghost".
Kelsey Bates
Nov 29, 2011
Kat
Jul 21, 2018
Suzanne Horn
rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2016
Becky Brett
Dec 01, 2013
Rinn
Jun 08, 2014
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) is an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, and many other characters, introducing complex,
More about Stan Lee