Start by marking “In The Eye of The Beholder: A Novel of The Phantom of the Opera” as Want to Read:
In The Eye of The Beholder:  A Novel of The Phantom of the Opera

In The Eye of The Beholder: A Novel of The Phantom of the Opera

When French equestrian Claire Delacroix loses her fiance in a tragic accident, she comes to live at the Paris Opera during its 1890s heyday. Whilst working at the opera, she meets a mysterious, masked stranger: Erik. Is it possible that the two of them will heal the pain of each other's past?
Published July 4th 2009 by Turner Maxwell Books (first published May 27th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about In The Eye of The Beholder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The Eye of The Beholder

Jaimey
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Phantom of the Opera; fans of historical romance
Synopsis: Erik, the physically deformed hero finds a home, a place to belong and be accepted, in the heroine, Claire. She has a fondness for animals, for seeming lost causes. In Erik, she finds the love she thought she'd lost. Together, they escape the personal hells in which they'd been mired.

My two cents: This is a very well-written book. It is also fast-paced. I felt a little swept away and once I started reading, it was hard to stop. (Life, however, would insist otherwise.)

Claire is differen
J. King
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first impression: If 90% of everything is crap, then this definitely falls within the remaining 10%. And in the end, I retained that impression, even though along the way, I had a number of complaints. Yet for all those complaints, I still ended up rating it 5 stars. Yes, I teetered on the edge between 4 and 5, but I finally came down on the higher side, because if the next book I read has all the characteristics of this one, that would make me very happy, because of all the things this story ...more
Cynthia
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys decriptive and colorful fiction
Recommended to Cynthia by: TreasureLine Publishing
Vivid images and the French dialect in this wonderful story made me feel as though I were taken back in time to 19th Century France.

A bittersweet story of a woman who loses the love of her life, only to learn that her life has just begun. She finds the gentleness of a man, who becomes her world in this sensual and provocative tale of love.

I particularly enjoyed how the author told the story from two different perspectives, through Erik's journal and through the main character, Claire Delacroix.
Jen Knox
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I loved Phantom when I was younger, and although the story stuck with me, I had forgotten how much resonated for me about the tale. Sharon Cathcart resurrected this for me in her book, only her tale seems propelled by a little less romance and a little more passion: get me?
It's fast-paced, with a widely-sympathetic protagonist (a woman, who is not perfect and quiet), and I simply adored the writing style. I was genuinely impressed by this book!
Christy
Aug 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
Terrible book... should've read some reviews or something on this one. Terrible writing, horrible story line... ugh. But I read it, and now I'm done.
Elena
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
If your experience with The Phantom of the Opera related books is small, then try to pick up another book to read, and try this later.

It's not as bad as some others, and the first chapter has a strong and promising plot. But later it becomes worse and worse.

So the good news: Claire, the main female character. She's at her 30s, with tragic background. She now has to work at the Opera. What I like the most about her: dressage. She's training horses for stage. That's great idea, I think, and very u
Holly Christine
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
In the Eye of the Beholder is difficult to place into a genre. The story itself is like a secondary tale to the Phantom of the Opera, yet it has incredible bits of historical fiction and some erotica. After completing it, I actually felt as if I had learned something on top of finishing a great story.

Claire’s love for Erik came during a time of need in both characters’ lives. It was interesting to watch this sudden infatuation develop and read Cathcart’s twist on the old tale. The plot is very
Linda Boulanger
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this book and you will too if you like a really good love story...not soppy. Good. Sharon’s Phantom story is breathtakingly sensual and tastefully seductive with captivating characters and storyline developed to leave the reader deeply satisfied. Be prepared though...you won't be able to put it down once you start reading!
MAP
Apr 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
A.L. Butcher
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An interesting adaptation of Phantom, and quite refreshing to have a character who accepts Erik for who he is.
Good views on the role of women and especially those who flaunt convention in this age.

Not as much made of the dark past and the Opera house years but this is both a simple and complex romance of two damaged and lonely souls who are rather outcast but find love with each other and a new acceptance of the world.

Shalynne
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like romance or Phantom of the Opera
I'm a big fan of "The Phantom of the Opera" so I was initially a little skeptical of this - thinking perhaps it was just going to be a knock-off or something like that. I was pleasantly surprised to find an interesting story, well-written characters and plot twists I wasn't expecting! It was true to what I consider the "Phantom" storyline and weaved the new characters into it brilliantly. Would love to see more stories like this!
Monica
Feb 12, 2010 marked it as to-read
If Jen likes it, I probably will, too.
Charlie Bray
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was unaware that there is a strong following of Phantom of the Opera books and admit that this is the first one I have read. I did watch the movie, Phantom of the Opera and remember being mesmerised by the grandeur of the old theatre. I would say that my memory of the superb cinematography of the film doubtless helps the book along but it doesn’t. It doesn’t need to. Sharon E. Cathcart’s words do that. She successfully portrays 19th century Paris and London with a wonderful descriptive style a ...more
Penelope Dreadfulle
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I really enjoyed this romance by Sharon Cathcart. For all you Phantom of the Opera fans (or Gerard Butler fans-I heard his voice when I was reading Erik's lines), you'll have a blast with it. The story takes place at the turn of the century at the Paris opera house (yes that opera house).

The heroine is Claire, of age, but orphaned and living at the whim of her cousin (a very convincingly written jerk that you want to slap silly the first time he shows up on stage...he's that nasty) because of h
Jeannie Walker
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Everyone usually has their own version of the Phantom of the Opera.
I personally loved the story of The Phantom of the Opera and the Broadway show, which is why I was drawn to this particular novel, “In The Eye of The Beholder”.

I found this story to be more than an ordinary romance that was perhaps based on the original story of The Phantom of the Opera. It could be the story of any marriage where a man and woman struggle to maintain love in times that are difficult for many different reasons.

T
Michelle Gilmore
May 30, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Phantom of the Opera fans
Shelves: fanfic
It was ok. Erik was just too different from what I remember. I remember him being guarded, and a bit arrogant in the original by Gaston Leroux, but there were just times when he just cruel towards Claire. I found myself rooting for the heroine- Claire though; after everything she'd been through - being an over thirty independent thinker in a society that doesn't value women, losing her father and having to have and unknown male relative control her assets, losing her fiancee, and then putting up ...more
Maria Daddino
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved Phantom of the Opera and Sharon's novel was like a wonderful and delicious dessert after a marvelous dinner! It was fun to see the story continue.

I so enjoyed her attention to history and detail, her characters and her use of French words of the times. I felt like I was there.

I was sorry to see it end!

Stephanie Turner
Good solid read

Loved how she brought the phantom out of binding and gave him a new love. I will be reading more books by SHARON E. CATHCART.
Yiming Zhang
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks, apple
Ignore this
Colette
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book a must for Phantom fans.
Laura Cutshall
This is on my to-read shelf, as in my to-pick-up-tomorrow shelf.
Lynnsey Carrigan
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very great book to read if you're a major fan of Phantom of the Opera (especially the 2004 movie since Erik is based off the physical appearance of Gerard Butler's Phantom). Even though it took me two years to finish (mainly because I learned that it's hard to get yourself into a good book when you have an infant and a toddler), I couldn't stop reading it when I resumed reading it yesterday. I had been halfway done anyway when I last stopped reading two years ago. This is also very goo ...more
Rosalyn Camacho
Jan 17, 2017
A.L. Butcher
Dec 02, 2016
Raye
rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Phantom Of Valletta
  • Madrigal: A Novel of Gaston LeRoux's the Phantom of the Opera
  • Letters to Erik: The Ghost's Love Story
  • Unmasqued: An Erotic Novel of The Phantom of The Opera (Seducing the Classics, #1)
  • Chanson de L'Ange
  • The Phantom Diaries (The Phantom Diaries, #1)
  • Deception
  • The Angel of the Opera
  • Here All Along
  • Night Magic
  • Stolen Promise
  • The Pirate And The Puritan
  • No Return: A Contemporary Phantom Tale
  • Teeth (The South Pacific Trilogy #1)
  • The Victor: A Tale of Betrayal, Love, and Sacrifice
  • Kissing Frogs in Cyberspace
  • Play Fling
  • The Samson Effect
Sharon E. Cathcart is an award-winning author of fiction featuring atypical characters.

A former journalist and newspaper editor, Sharon has been writing for as long as she can remember and generally has at least one work in progress.

Sharon lives with her husband and an assortment of pets in the Silicon Valley, California.