Start by marking “Making Breakthrough Innovations Happen” as Want to Read:
Making Breakthrough Innovations Happen

Making Breakthrough Innovations Happen

For long now, India has been seen as a country that is good at working on products and ideas that are already out there. Indian companies took up products that came in from the West and either replicated it or re-engineered it. Indians, when they went to other countries, were part of creative teams that came up with, and implemented great ideas. But, when in their own coun ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Collins Business (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Making Breakthrough Innovations Happen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Breakthrough Innovations Happen

Start your review of Making Breakthrough Innovations Happen
Vishnu Chevli
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english, others-book
I am a big fan of Rashmi Bansal's books. I have read 5 of her books and 2 more books I have with me which I have to read. If I talk about my liking in nonfiction genre, business stories or entrepreneurial journies are my favorite. I checked this book in my office and I liked it after reading the first chapter. The author Porus Munshi has taken wonderful success stories to inspire organizations/individuals to perform with radically new ideas/methodologies/systems.

Making Breakthrough Innovation Ha
Anshu Jain
The most inspiring book I have come across..Continuing to tread the path well known, the path with assured returns...the path which gives incremental success, talking first about "why things won't work".. before "why things will work"...sounds familiar :)?? The book repeatedly explains how these the things that come in the way of "Orbit Shifting" innovations as . A great read which deservers to be in your collection.
===========

From my memory here is a one liner on each of the well described cas
gurpreet kaur
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring, reassures faith in good intentions. Felt really good reading it, even gifted it to some friends.
Rajeev
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Why are Indians so good at jugaad (improvisation or quick-fixing) but not at systemic innovation? What makes them better innovators when they reach foreign shores but not within our own country? Is our “system” built to stifle innovation? If there are innovators who succeed within “our system” are there lessons to be extrapolated from such successes? And can these innovations be applied across sectors – private, public, and social?

Built around 11 case studies of Indians who made “orbit shifting
Shrutin
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars are too little for this book.
This book talks about India, a country literally gifted with the best of everything. And yet, a country held back by her own citizens who've tied their own feet, and restricted their own progress; by not dreaming enough. By choosing to copy or just make the cut, rather than be, as Porus puts it, an 'orbit-shifter'.

Undoubtedly, Indians have among the best capabilities and talent in the world. We unfortunately, lack an insatiable hunger to push the limits, to a
Vipul Kane
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Good real life stories that are badly written. The book contains a lot of waffle. I however bought this book looking for inspiration and I did manage to get some.
Vispi Jokhi
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent book and amazing insights in innovation at its best. Examples from a spectrum of sectors makes for compelling reading.
Khushi Shah
What's it like being in an astronomical challenge in any context.
Tall Guy
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A good book to read to know about the unknown entrepreneurs who have risen above the challenges around them.

Soumish
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english
Very inspiring stories of making Radical Changes in one's life & surrounding & industry & society. It gives the knowledge that being in a top position doesn't make your life smooth & you cannot do whatever you want to. There are always direct & indirect forces & circumstances to prevent you from any radical idea. FIGHT, PATIENCE & INVOLVING OTHERS are the 3 most important characteristics needed for radical changes.

Must read for anyone, from any industry. It will surely hike up your confidence &
Rahul Rajasekharan Nair
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An amazing collection of 11 Indian innovations that 'made a dent' in the universe. A must read for aspiring entrepreneurs. We are made to connect with each stories, with apt questions helping us think and implement the success mantra in our scenario. In particular, I was amazed by Titan edge, Bosch India R&D, Dainik Bhaskar, Surat transformation, Su-kam, Aravind eye hospital and Trichy Police. The success traits of successful innovators are cleverly portrayed in all the stories. ...more
Manikandan T S
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian
Mostly Indians are seen as improvisation experts rather than innovators. When we talk about innovation, we always talk about Apple, Google and GE. There is no doubt that they are Technology Giants. But this book is about 11 Indian companies and organizations(even government organizations :-P) and their orbit-shifting innovations who had direct impact on lives of million of Indians. Now I can also boast about Innovation capabilities of Indians :)
Chirag Salla
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very nice book about Indian success story and the efforts required for such success stories. The problem is that we never focus on the efforts people put on for getting such success. Those are real learning and even their initial failures which many people overcome and finally it results in success.
Umang
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Truly inspirational! And unbelievable that it happened right here in India. Fascinating to know how some Indians pulled it off to take their organizations to the pinnacle, amidst great obstacles. The story of Dainik Jagran, ITC and Bosch were jaw dropping.

Must read for everyone who is a student, practitioner of management and/or business.
Anant Mittal
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
The concept is lovely. The author tried to bring forward 11 stories of desi innovation in India and what stories they are indeed. However the immense focus on preaching at times than pure explanation is a cause for slight mismatch in tempo.
Overall a great read.
Kiran
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Amazing information on Indian innovations
Bhavik
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great read! The initial stories were great but last few ones I felt were repetitive. Considering the take-aways, its still is worth spending the time reading the book atleast once!
ajay Kumar
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: innovation
average..nothing great..talks about 10-11 innovations that indian has taken lead on..writing style is mediocre
Rajasekaran Krishnamoorthy
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is one of the awesome books by porus munshi about the path breaking Indian businesses. All the chapters in this books can be kept as a case study in business schools.
Sai Chandra
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Awesome inspiring stories. I especially like the sukam one...
Nikhil
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice top view analysis of indian innovation. Danik Bhaskar, titan edge, bosch pf-45, itc-ibd etc.
Vr Murty
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
a must read
Manish Gosalia
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An amazing inspirational book that showcases Indians and Indian companies to create breakthrough innovation in business and socially.
Subramanian Sankaran
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring tales of innovation from different segments of Indian society that will make us stand and salute the ordinary people behind it.
Mohamed Marwan
Apr 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Good book. Could have been shorter. Real life examples and very genuine ones from India. Perhaps not a profound focus on the innovation process but the case studies are very live.
Abhishek Sengupta
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
A good read. Nothing outstanding but some of the innovation stories are interesting.
Mukul Parashar
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
nice book.
Feroz Hameed
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
fantastic.....make feel proud to be Indian .
Pawan
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
A good read to find out some real innovation happening in India in all spheres of life. You must read it...
prashant zawar
Jan 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement
  • Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)
  • Living Legends, Learning Lessons
  • The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0)
  • A Time of Madness: A Memoir of Partition
  • Critical Chain
  • Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard
  • Life over Two Beers and other stories
  • Last of the Wilds (Age of the Five, #2)
  • Voice of the Gods (Age of the Five, #3)
  • Get Together: How to build a community with your people