Start by marking “Nineteen Seventy Seven (Red Riding, #2)” as Want to Read:
Nineteen Seventy Seven (Red Riding, #2)

Nineteen Seventy Seven (Red Riding Quartet #2)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  2,446 Ratings  ·  146 Reviews
As the summer moves remorselessly towards the bonfires of Jubilee night, the killings accelerate and it seems as if Fraser and Whitehead are the only men who suspect or care that there may be more than one killer at large.
Published September 1st 2007 by Serpent's Tail (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Nineteen Seventy Seven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nineteen Seventy Seven

Susan
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having found Red Riding Nineteen Seventy Four (Red Riding Quartet) totally gripping, I was keen to read the second in the Red Riding Quartet. Having finished it, I am somewhat at a loss of how to describe it. The second book, much like the first, is almost like a written nightmare - dark, shocking, savage, violent and vicious. The novel is narrated by two characters from the previous book - Sergeant Bob Fraser and veteran reporter Jack Whitehead.

We are back in the seventies and it is the time of
Michelle
wow, one star, huh?

i managed to get to the end without skimming too much, so the fair part of me wants to give it two, but the only reason i didn't throw this across the room at several different places is because i love my ipad very much. if you're not deeply interested in:

repetitive day/dream sequences
rape
hitting people upside the head with ballpein hammers
casual racism
casual brutality to women not covered under the heading of "rape"
brutal racism
stream-of-consciousness internal monologue verb
Tfitoby
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-as-night
Holy moly life in David Peace's Yorkshire just got a whole lot more miserable and after 1974 you might not have thought that possible. Two background characters from the previous book share first person narrative duties this time round as the real life events surrounding The Yorkshire Ripper affect the police force and journalists, complicating already complex double lives. It's a multi-faceted portrait of disintegrating minds and disintegrating society that merely touches on the wider scope of ...more
Marcia

This is the second book in Peace' Red Riding Hood Quartet. It is just as grim and well-written as the first one. Although there are two narrators here, Jack Whitehead and Bobby Fraser, their voices are very similar (and like Nineteen Seventy-Four's Eddie Dunford), that I sometimes had trouble telling them apart. That was my only real problem with Peace's writing, however, as this book only seems to improve on the gory poetry of the first. The violence, corruption, and horror is almost mind numbi
Jessica
Dec 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, kindle
I'll review the entire Red Riding Quartet, since the books really compose one large narrative.

David Peace takes us into one of the bleakest worlds I've encountered even in the most hard-boiled detective literature -- northern England from 1974-1983 (with some flashes back into an equally dismal late 60s) in which a child abductor and killer is running rampant, the Yorkshire Ripper is terrorizing the region, and the police force is hopelessly corrupt and in bed with some very bad businessmen. Squ
Trisha
Sep 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, worst-ever
Worst book I have ever read in my ENTIRE life. 170 pages in I realized there were two different narrators, both speaking in first person, with no clue as to when they were changing back and forth. Every sentence was F- this, F-that, gratuitous sex, gratuitous gore, was there even a plotline?? I can't recall because it was so freaking confusing! "Stream of consciousness" my foot, there was nothing special, cutting edge, or ground breaking about this novel. It was a complete waste of my literary t ...more
Michael Bohli
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
David Peace - oder genauer, seine Art Thriller zu schreiben - will sich mir einfach nicht komplett erschliessen. Auch bei "1977", dem zweiten Teil seiner Red-Riding-Saga, darf man wieder in die dreckigen Kleinstädte und schmutzigen Gassen eintreten, immer auf der atemlosen Suche nach einem brutalen und gnadenlosen Mörder. Erneut leitet und leidet Polizist Fraser durch das Buch, erneut gibt es Sex, Gewalt, Dreck, vulgäre Sprache und ultrakurze Sätze zu Hauf. Und genau dieser Schreibstil ohne schn ...more
Susan
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having found Nineteen Seventy Four totally gripping, I was keen to read the second in the Red Riding Quartet. Having finished it, I am somewhat at a loss of how to describe it. The second book, much like the first, is almost like a written nightmare - dark, shocking, savage, violent and vicious. The novel is narrated by two characters from the previous book - Sergeant Bob Fraser and veteran reporter Jack Whitehead.

We are back in the seventies and it is the time of the Yorkshire Ripper. Bob Frase
Becky
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1001-list-books
Boy, this book is grim. It's crude, gory and graphic. But it's brilliant. I zipped through the whole thing in three evenings. Now, I may be a little biased, as the Ripper's stomping grounds are very much my homeland. Not that any of the locations are in anyway romantic, but familiarity always breeds interest. Peace writes a little like Irvine Welsh, bleak humour masking the insecurities of the men who form his characters. The protagonists are dual - an old school investigative reporter with ties ...more
Leah
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, noir
A curious through-passage of a book, where nothing really begins and nothing really ends, but everything gets worse and darker and less comfortable, if that were possible.

Two viewpoints here, Jack Whitehead, reeling from the death of his ex-wife by a lunatic inspired by a priest and drunk on the double life he's built for himself, investigative journalist but friend of the police, man after the truth but half in their pockets; and Bob Fraser, company man, copper, boss's son-in-law, ignorant of t
Alan
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
2006 notebook: a run of disappointing books: David Peace's 1977 disappointing; Palahniuk's Diary about disappearing bathrooms a disappointment. Sophisticated Boom Boom, a growing-up-in- Eniskillen-in-the-punk-era a disappointment.
Michael
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I recently watched the stunning 3-part movie series "Red Riding" twice because it was so powerful and complex. I found things I had completely missed in the first viewing. It was based on David Peace's book series so I picked them up to see if there was more to be had. Sure enough, the book enhanced the movie's understanding even further.
So far I've read 1974 and 1977. 1977 is the basis for the second part of the Red Riding movie trilogy set in the north of England around the Leeds/Bradford area
Benito Jr.
Deeply unpleasant but ultimately satisfying read. I can’t imagine that folks would go straight to Nineteen Seventy-Seven without reading Nineteen Seventy-Four first, so prospective readers would already be familiar with Peace prose:

The clipped, staccato rhythms.

Hypnotic in their repetition.

In their repetition.

The refusal to connect the narrative dots for the reader.

Words spat out like bullets from a machine gun etc.

Unpleasant: the torrents of profanity, the racism and misogyny, not to mention e
Johnny
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not as stand-alone as the previous book in the series, 1974, this second book in the Red Riding Quartet moves the series forward and deepens the intrigue and corruption within the world.

Weaving real events with fictional characters is a real challenge, and Peace handles it deftly, making you question where fact and fiction blur together.

Stronger characterization, an idiosyncratic staccato writing style, and consistently entertaining humorlessness (I know that sounds like an insult, but the
Jenbebookish
Apr 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Yes I hated it, that's why I only gave it one star. And comparatively, because some amazing books can still only get 5 stars I'm tempted to give this book NONE. No stars! But I will give the book some credit where credit is due and the originality is by far the book's only credible aspect.

The book's stream of consciousness narrative goes absolutely over my head. It gets in the way of the story, makes it difficult to get thru. At least for me. I was surprised, I expected more from this book. I wo
FrankH
Oct 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Casey
Nineteen Seventy-Seven is better than Nineteen Seventy-Four, but I still didn't like it.

The narrators are Jack Whitehead and Bob Fraser. Jack is the rival journalist of Nineteen Seventy-Four's narrator. Bob is a cop in that horrible police department that's involved in these books.

They are both more like-able narrators than Ed Dunford, although comparing Ed and Bob there's not that big of a margin.

Nineteen Seventy-Seven seemed slightly less graphic than the first. It's still full of violence and
James
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
David Peace’s ‘Red Riding’ quartet of books (‘1974’, ‘1977’, ‘1980’ and ‘1983’ respectively) provides us with an extremely intense, dark, brooding and menacing series of connected stories.

Set against the backdrop of Yorkshire (where Peace grew up) the books have the notorious ‘Yorkshire Ripper’ murders (1975-80) as an underlying, but almost omnipresent theme throughout.

These are hard books about hard people and hard lives with hard themes of murder, corruption, sexual obsession, sadism and then
Carole Tyrrell
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
1977
This i9s the second book in the gritty, realistic Red Riding trilogy and has the same waking nightmare quality to it of desperate, doomed lives with no way out.
Bob Fraser and wasted hack Jack Whitehead return with their lives falling apart. Sgt Fraser is now Det Sgt Fraser and married with a small child, Bobby. He’s go on in the force and also got a bad habit. The same one that Jack’s got – they’re both in love with Leeds Chapeltown prostitutes and y just can’t leave them alone.
Overshadowing
Melissa Namba
I'm a little disappointed in this book. Particularly as a 1,001 Books you must read before you die. Really? A bunch of scholars really thought I should read BOOK 2 in a series of 4, where the crime is not resolved at all? Huh? I think I would have enjoyed it on my own as the full quartet but I have to say the recommendation by Boxall's was very much off the mark. 1974 felt like it had closure and the crime felt solved.

This book has a lot of corrupt cops, a lot of rape, a lot of adultery, a lot
Jackie
Jack Whitehead was surprisingly sympathetic. Bob Fraser was surprisingly...not. I have to say, though, the overall favorable reaction I had to Nineteen Seventy Four almost wasn't enough to get me through this book, where the INCREDIBLY graphic violence and ickiness seemed to have even less of a point, if possible.
Still, this book gained points for unreliable narrators (perhaps?) and an ending I didn't see coming.
One interesting thing: In both this and the previous book, narrators will often have
Tomas Ahlbeck
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read 1974, didn't really like it. To me it seemed like the author tried too hard to be innovative. And failed.
This one - 1977 - does not lift to any higher creative levels either. After reading it I still have no idea why it ends like it does, what the characters have to do with the introduced plot or honestly why I should even bother to read the last two parts of this series.
Sentences spanning for several pages mixed with "thougths" in italic that goes on - page up and page down - without re
F.R.
Jan 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Much like 1974 (which you don't have to have read to make sense of this book, although there are references) Peace takes us through the grim crimes of 1970s Yorkshire. And once again the Ellroy influence is obvious. However one of the things that struck me on reading this is how much more seedy Peace's world is than Ellroy's. Yes, Ellroy is taking us to some very dark places, but it's still California and there's sunshine and Hollywood stars at the periphary. Peace however is dealing with places ...more
Neil Powell
Jun 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you thought 1974 was dark and disturbing....... The real achievement from the author is making such grim subject matter and horrific violence so easy to read. The "heroes" in this novel are people you would struggle to root for in most books, but everyone in these stories has something dark to hide. It just depends on which shade of black their particular darkness is.

Cleverly written in the first person, with alternating chapters from the point of view of the two protagonists. The story races
Richard Wright
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peace's Red Riding quarter jumps forward three years, this time following the screwed up lives of half-decent police officer Bob Fraser, and burned out journalist Jack Whitehead. Both are dangerously obsessed with Chapeltown prostitutes, and are sucked into an investigation into the Yorkshire Ripper's slaughter of these women. Both men are dangerously on the edge, and the plot follows the hollow, desperate plummet of their lives as events overwhelm them, and the extent of the corruption of West ...more
Nick
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
More unrelenting grimness - at its worst the way Peace revels in horrible things happening again and again seems a bit adolescent, even ridiculous. There's an awful lot of (often sexual) violence perpetrated against women in order to give the male protagonists motivation, which is cheap and tired.

But, like 1974, this has got a real momentum which comes from the urgent prose style (lots of terse sentences, short paragraphs, repetition). When it gets going in the second half, it's as compelling as
Bill
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in Mr Peace's Red Riding Quadrilogy (is that the correct word for a four book series)along with 1974, 1980 and 1983.
A number of the characters from 1974 return in this one. Like much of Peace's other books the fiction is set against a backdrop of the history of the time in the UK. On this occasion that includes the Yorkshire Ripper and the Queens Silver Jubilee celebrations.
Peace is a supremely talented writer who seems to move from humour to gruesomeand back again with great
Rosemary
Jun 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001-books
I hate to think of somebody writing this series and what it must have done to his mind to spend so many hours dwelling on all the ways women can be raped and killed. I believe he's actually written four books with this same plot, but fortunately only this one made the '1001 books to read before you die' list so I can avoid them for the rest of my live now :-)

I disliked the writing style, featuring a huge number of one-sentence paragraphs, many paragraphs containing no sentences at all, and gratu
Linny
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Peace writes a brutal murder mystery with corrupt police and prostitutes and a mad serial killer, but the whole point for reading this N. England rough jargened book is that Peace is an original writer, called by Granta one of UK's leading young writer. Hard to take, but couldn't put it down. Leaves a lot to the reader to follow.
Bill McFadyen
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have read a few other David Peace books and have enjoyed them - particularly GB84 about the Miners strike and That Damn United about Brian Clough. However I found this book overly descriptive with a difficult to follow dialogue and too many 'dream sequences' - I am a big fan of Ellroy and his 1950s LA where police violence and graft if legionary- I did not expect even more corruption and torture from the Yorkshire Police of the 1970s. If this is anywhere near the true level of law breaking by ...more
  • Adjunct: An Undigest
  • Super-Cannes
  • London Orbital
  • Dead Air
  • How the Dead Live
  • Small Remedies
  • Schooling
  • Islands
  • Be My Enemy  (Jack Parlabane, #4)
  • Thursbitch
  • The Heart of Redness
  • Spring Flowers, Spring Frost
  • Gabriel's Gift
  • In the Forest
  • Celestial Harmonies
  • Dead Babies
  • Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8)
  • Wild Town
David Peace was born in 1967 and grew up in Ossett, near Wakefield. He left Manchester Polytechnic in 1991, and went to Istanbul to teach English. In 1994 he took up a teaching post in Tokyo and now lives there with his family.

His formative years were shadowed by the activities of the Yorkshire Ripper, and this had a profound influence on him which led to a strong interest in crime. His quartet of
More about David Peace...

Red Riding Quartet (4 books)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four (Red Riding, #1)
  • Nineteen Eighty (Red Riding, #3)
  • Nineteen Eighty Three (Red Riding, #4)