Start by marking “Princesses Are Not Quitters” as Want to Read:
Princesses Are Not Quitters

Princesses Are Not Quitters

Three bored princesses decide to become servants for a day and learn what hard work is all about.
Published July 8th 2005 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published April 5th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Princesses Are Not Quitters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princesses Are Not Quitters

Lisa Vegan
Feb 25, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little girls who love princesses & who can see things from different viewpoints
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Delightful!

First of all, I loved the illustrations. From the three princesses’ ridiculous lavender, pink, and yellow cotton candy style hair, to the smiles on the dogs, to the lounging cats, to the absurd shopping lists, to the princess snack cupboard (yum!). to the castle by the sea, the pictures are all pretty and detailed and intricate, and fun to peruse.

The story of three bored princesses who trade places with three servant girls and do their work, and oh what hard and long work it is, but
Kathryn
Jan 13, 2010 Kathryn rated it liked it
I'm afraid I didn't love this one quite as much as I hoped I would, but it's still a cute story about walking in someone else's shoes, accompanied by colorful illustrations with fun details. The three princesses are BORED with life, so they order the servants to take their place for the day and they decide to have some fun playing servant. Only, it's not so fun. The work is very hard, but the princesses are not quitters and they complete all their chores (the chores are listed with accompanying ...more
Rachel
Apr 11, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I know, yet another picture book, yet another princess story. But I've read this to the girls since Thing 1 was tiny and we all love it. It makes a nice little mantra for us on those hard days; I remind my own three princesses that we (including Princess Mommy) are "not quitters!"
Kate McCartney
It is nice look at what hard work is and how to stick with it. I am a bit cynical about it though that through the privilege of being a princess they can choose to do hard work rather than a need to be employed.
Rita Webb
Jun 08, 2009 Rita Webb rated it it was amazing
This book made quite an impact on my 7-year-old. For days later, she would say "Princesses are not quitters!" when she felt like giving up, and she wanted to help so much more around the house. I love the character lessons this book teaches to young girls.
Nojood Alsudairi
Apr 03, 2008 Nojood Alsudairi rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I like this kind of books that tells girls that can be princesses but at the same time thaey can do any thing.
Sasha
Dec 29, 2016 Sasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, picture-books
Great book for girls who think that being a princess = you can be a spoiled snot-face. Maybe you can be, but it's good to find out the dark side of castle life first. Informed decisions, everyone!
Kathleen Dixon
Aug 29, 2014 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
What do princesses with Marie Antoinette dresses and massively over-the-top pompadour hairstyles do when they're bored? They decide to swap with 3 servant girls for the day. And they command their servants' manager (I'm not looking at the book right now and can't remember what she's really called) to show them no mercy, because "Princesses are not Quitters".

I couldn't help thinking of various politicians or celebrities who have lived on a poor person's budget for a week, and what a farce it real
Miri
One of my favorite princess picture books yet. The princesses are bored to death with being princesses, so they decide to switch place with their servants for a day. They're so tired they can barely move, and they don't get to eat because their work takes them too long, but they won't quit because princesses aren't quitters. The next morning, they realize how tired their servants must be, so they make a proclamation—that from now on, all servants must rest when they are tired, eat when they are ...more
Lesley
A delightful picture book featuring 3 bored princesses who decide their servants have all fun. Impetuously, they decide to switch places with them for a day...a very long day for the princesses. After 18 hours of scrubbing, cooking, weeding, and missing meals,the exhausted princesses reach an epiphany: life as a servant is NOT fun, and not fair. It takes awhile, but they eventually devise a clever solution that will bring a smile to every reader's face.

Lum avoids the cliches in many other rich/p
Wendy
Feb 26, 2016 Wendy rated it it was amazing
This book helped me put things into perspective for my young 5 year old.

Empathy and doing something about it is an important lesson.

Having respect for EVERY job and being appreciative and respectful of all jobs is a good lesson.

Lastly, trying things out, not giving up and in the process probably finding something we may greatly enjoy is a good lesson.

Therese
May 15, 2012 Therese rated it liked it
Cute and clever illustrations - this one was a big hit with my 4-year-old. I'm not the hugest fan of princess books generally (because no one wants their little girl growing up with a princess complex), but as far as they go, this one was fun.
Michelle
Jun 19, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Very pretty pictures and great story/moral. Could have used another page of dialog in a couple places but overall very fun. It's great for my "princesses" who say they are "too tired!" to do their work :)
Heidi-Marie
I guess I read these two books backwards. It explains why the princesses weren't baking and gardening and such in this one. This one was not as funny (to me) as the other book. Still, it was fun and I love the absurdity.
Martha
Apr 07, 2016 Martha rated it really liked it
My youngest daughter loves this book, I think I will have to get it for her.
Jess
Sep 08, 2012 Jess rated it really liked it
I maintain my enjoyment of these picture books. Also, it's amazing what you can find when shelving in the Children's Room.
Heather
Oct 03, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
I appreciate the message, but was just so-so about the book.
Valerie Patterson
May 11, 2016 Valerie Patterson rated it really liked it
Cute for 1st graders!
Sheri Radford
Jan 29, 2017 Sheri Radford rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
A cute picture book with a not-so-subtle message about workers' rights.
Tara
May 17, 2009 Tara rated it it was ok
Eh. While interesting that the servants and princesses switch places and learn a bit about the lower class - I'm just not sure about it.
Gigi
Aug 22, 2013 Gigi rated it really liked it
Nice story of appreciation and putting yourself in someone else's shoes.
Ashley
Sep 03, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: for-flora
I'm not a huge fan of princess stories, but these ladies set pretty good examples.
Kelli
May 19, 2011 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Growing up, I loved any book with 'princess' in the title. This one is sweet and puts an emphasis on doing one's best. The illustrations are fun and colorful.
Dawn
Apr 12, 2010 Dawn rated it it was amazing
We love this little book.
Ashlee
Ashlee rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2014
Zhia
Zhia rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2008
Little
Little rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2007
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2015