Start by marking “X Marks the Spot (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #1)” as Want to Read:
X Marks the Spot (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #1)

X Marks the Spot

(The X-Files: Middle Grade #1)

The first novels for middle graders based on the hit TV series (winner of the Golden Globe Award for Best Dramatic Series). The novels are based on actual TV show screenplays. In X Marks the Spot, The FBI thinks Agent Fox Mulder is weird--or worse. He keeps insisting that aliens are running amok on earth. Fox Mulder may not be weird at all. He may just be the one with the ...more
Published August 29th 1996 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about X Marks the Spot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X Marks the Spot

Stephen Arvidson
X Marks the Spot, which is intended for a juvenile audience, is a novelization of The X-Files' pilot episode. The narrative varies significantly from the broadcast episode, likely because this novella was based off an earlier draft of the script. Several key characters from the episode were absent in the novel, including Cigarette-Smoking Man (CSM), Section Chief Blevins, and Dr. Heitz Werber. Interestingly, though, the book presents us with Special Agent Jones, an acknowledged precursor to the ...more
Sierra Petrovita
I understood this book was based on the original script of the first episode so it was slitely different from the pilot episode. As a huge X-Files fan I loved it.
TheBookAddictedGirl
Ok, I’ll admit that the main reason I picked this up is because it was the only book starting with ‘X’ that I could find. I’ve seen some of the series on TV, but haven’t really followed it so much, even though I really like it.
This book was... really good actually. Strange, kind of scary and full of weird events, this book had me hooked. Also, it set the scene really well, without sending me into information overdrive.
‘Spooky Mulder’ is obsessed with the unusual cases: The X Files. This fixation
2/5 - This is marked as a 'middle grade' book on GR. Knowing the episode pretty well and knowing that the book follows the plot and dialogue of the episode pretty closely, I'm not sure I understand that rating. You're what, 10 or so, in the middle grade? Considering some of the gruesome scenes I remember from the show, I wouldn't be recommending this to any 10-year-olds. This isn't what I would consider suitable reading for anyone under 13. To be continued...

3/5 - After finishing this, I concede
Jason Meinig
I've had this book on my shelf for years, so before I give it away, wanted to read it. Very easy read (being a young adult type novel). I think this was the first episode of the X-Files tv show as well. The writing was basic, simple, sometimes overly so, and I have too many memories of the tv show to really picture Mulder and Scully any other way. So, it was enjoyable to revisit them, but I'm not sure the book would stand on its own without a great tv show preceding it.
Rebecka
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
had to reread this book today because #feels. last time i read it, i was 11 and i remember how much i loved this whole collection of xf books. i might reread them all because i'll probably be completely stuck in xf mode for a while now!

xf in swedish is giving me serious nostalgia!
C.J. Milbrandt
Dana Scully receives a new assignment from her bosses at the F.B.I. Fox "Spooky" Mulder investigates the bureau's unsolved mysteries, known as the X-files, and they want Scully's insights on his cases. The new partners' first case involves a series of murders in a small town in Oregon.

This is an easy read in a kid-friendly format (short sentences, quick chapters). Storyline is tightly-paced, with all the hallmarks of the television series—unexplained deaths, crime scene investigations, autopsie
Mouse
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am here for Dana Scully and Spooky Mulder. I used to watch The X-Files all the time (back when I actually had time), so I was excited when I came across this while browsing the shelves at Half-Price Books (plus it was only $1.99!). It is meant for a juvenile audience, and the writing style reminds me a lot of the Goosebumps series: easy to read, simple and understandable language, and small details that allow the reader to start putting the pieces together along with Scully and Mulder.
Suidpunt
Ek kon myself nie keer nie. Hierdie reeks is soos sjokolade - jy wil net meer hê. En nou sit ek met die Pilot-weergawe in Duits. Die heel eerste episode bly vir my steeds die treffendste.

Ek het ook 'n lekker voorbeeld van grammatika gekry wat taalkundige geslag betref:

"Der Körper des Mädchens verspannte sich, [es] schlang die Arme um [seinen] Oberkörper und wartete."

Pragtig.
Linda
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quick read, entertaining, similar to the TV show. Left questions.
arthur
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uma delícia de livro dessas, bicho.
Kari Anderson
Yes, random I know. It was the only book with a title starting with X that I could find. I imagined a title like that being a pirate book, but it only cost me $2 on Amazon. How can you not scoop that up?

I’ve never watched the X Files series. I like ghost stories and Men in Black but this was never a show I got into. I thought the book series came first, but on the cover it says it’s “based on the television series.” So if anyone watched the show, the books would probably repeat.

In X Marks the Sp
George K.
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Πρόκειται για το novelization του πρώτου επεισοδίου της πρώτης σαιζόν της σειράς X-Files. Σ'αυτό το βιβλίο γνωρίζονται και συνεργάζονται για πρώτη φορά οι ντετέκτιβ του FBI Φοξ Μόλντερ και Ντέινα Σκάλι. Τα ανώτερα κλιμάκια του FBI έβαλαν την εγκεφαλική και πιστή στα ανθρώπινα επιστημονικά δεδομένα Ντέινα Σκάλι να ελέγχει, κατά κάποιο τρόπο, τις μεθόδους έρευνας του ιδιότροπου Φοξ Μόλντερ σε υποθέσεις παράξενες και δυσεπίλυτες. Ο Φοξ Μόλντερ πιστεύει στην ύπαρξη εξωγήινων και στα διάφορα παράξενα ...more
Chuck White
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers 10-16

Cleaning off the shelves - Part #2

The second part of a new, continuing series dedicated to finally reading those books that I have had forever.

Part #1 can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Date: September 10, 1993

Time: 9:00 pm EST

Location: My parents' basement. Hey, I was still in college, I have my own house now.

My new favourite show was about to premiere, though I did not know it yet. By chance being home on a Friday night, bored, I turned on a new show called THE X-FILES.
Al
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
De leitura rápida, um livro principalmente para os fãs da série. Tem como principal qualidade o dinamismo na ação e como grande defeito a falta de estrutura mais convincente que justificasse o curso dos fatos. Como fã, pretendo ler os outros da série, mas fica claro o efeito mesmerizante da série televisiva, se comparada ao livro.
Timo
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: timo
TV-tie-in. Very quick to read. Very fluent. Very must to every hc-fan out there.
I'm not one of them.

If interested, here is a link to my longer review of the Finnish edition of X Marks the Spot: http://www.talvipaivanseisaus.com/kir...

Timo
Louise Armstrong
Dec 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The one star is for plot - mysterious stuff happens and we never quite know why. All right, I know that's what the TV series was based on, but it doesn't work for me in a book.

It's well written - there's almost a read-out-loud rhythm to the story.

'Scully expected just one thing when she went to meet Fox Mulder. She expected the unexpected.
She was not disappointed.'
James Powers
Spotted this in a shop and couldn't help myself. Took me about an hour to finish. Is the writing great? Not particularly. But it's fun and offers a couple interesting twists on the way the story appears in the aired episode.
Karschtl
Allererster Fall von Mulder und Scully in Buch-Form (wohl eher eine Kurzgeschichte, hat kaum mehr als 100 Seiten). Dafür waren aber auch alle Ereignisse dieser 40min-Folge abgedeckt, und es auch einigermaßen gut geschrieben. Mit den Bildern der Folge vor dem inneren Auge gut zu lesen.
melmarian
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini menandai awal mula dari Mulder dan Scully. I love them, I love this book, I love Les Martin and Chris Carter! :) ♥
Geri
Nov 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-x-files, 2010
Season 1 Pilot...great stuff!!
Bradley
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author did a really good job capturing the essence of the first X-Files episode. I was so pleased that I am keeping this book. =)
Cupof Tea
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"spooky" was my best one word description of this book in junior high.
Linda Collings
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Awesome loved the XFiles when it used to be on TV!This was an awesome novelisation!
Tony
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 to 4 stars. Designed for younger kids reading wise, but still a good read. Follows the T.V. show almost word for word.
Robert
rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2012
Ingmar
Feb 27, 2010
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine my new edition with the original book 2 6 May 29, 2014 09:27AM

• Squeeze (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #4)
  • The X-Files: Fight the Future
  • The X-Files: Goblins (The X-Files #1)
  • Ruins
  • The Truth Is Out There (The Official Guide to The X-Files #1)
  • I Want To Believe (The Official Guide to The X-Files #3)
  • Skin (The X-Files, #6)
  • Predators of Darkness: Aftermath: Book One of the Darkness Series
  • Armies of Light and Dark (Babylon 5: Legions of Fire, #2)
  • Final Reckoning: The Fate of Bester (Babylon 5: Saga of Psi Corps, #3)
  • House Trap
  • The X-Files: I Want to Believe
  • The X-Files: Book of the Unexplained, Volume 1
  • Angel Dust
  • Dead of Winter (CSI: New York, #1)
  • Tyme's End
Les Martin has written dozens of books for young readers, including the RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM movie storybooks, and many Young Indiana Jones middle-grade novels. He has also adapted many classic works of fiction for young readers, including THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS, EDGAR ALLAN POE'S TALES OF TERROR, and THE VAMPIRE. Mr. Martin is a resident of New York C ...more

The X-Files: Middle Grade (10 books)
  • Darkness Falls (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #2)
  • Tiger, Tiger! (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #3)
  • Squeeze (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #4)
  • Humbug (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #5)
  • Shapes (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #6)
  • Fear (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #7)
  • Voltage (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #8)
  • E.B.E. (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #9)
  • Die, Bug, Die! (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #10)
“Mulder gave a crooked smile of welcome. 'Sorry,' he said, 'Nobody down here but the F.B.I.'s most unwanted.” 5 likes
“Scully nodded. Of course. It made sense. Complete sense. No question about it. Mulder was perfectly sane in telling her all this. And she was perfectly sane in listening to it and nodding and urging him to tell her more. It was the rest of the world that was-

She doubled over as a wave of laughter hit her.

Mulder looked at her and started laughing too.

They stood there in the cemetery in the darkness and the drizzle, laughing their heads off.

'You know we're crazy,' Scully finally said.

'Of course we are,' Mulder gasped out.”
4 likes