Start by marking “Wherever There's a Fight: How Runaway Slaves, Suffragists, Immigrants, Strikers, and Poets Shaped Civil Liberties in California” as Want to Read:

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The first thorough history of civil liberties struggles in California from the cases of early Chinese immigrants, professionals who challenged McCarthyism, people of color, people with disabilities, and to todays' same-sex marriage, and religious discrimination.Stories of people who fought for their constitutional rights.
Published October 1st 2009 by Heyday Books

To ask other readers questions about Wherever There's a Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wherever There's a Fight

Black Elephants
Oct 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
At a literary faire in San Francisco, Elaine Elinson read an excerpt that described how a San Franciscan "Rosa Parks" beat the segregation that characterized the early 1900s transportation system. Because of it, I bought the book.

Things I liked: I really enjoy how this book takes the reader through the civil rights battles that defined and continue to affect the state of California. Each chapter covers a certain topic, like race, gender, sexuality, free speech. And each chapter is filled with bi
Nancy Strohl
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and learned so much about the peoples struggles that have shaped California. Story telling and analysis are interwoven, the people putting their lives on the line are compellingly real and very inspiring. I also got insights to those on the other side of struggle which is critical today as we face a renewed nationalism and xenophobia.

I can not begin to review all the fights that shaped civil liberties today. Race is a focus and a theme throughout, stories begin with slavery an
Sheila
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: u-s-history
I am simultaneously reading this book and Kevin Starr's "Americans and the California Dream: 1850 - 1915. Both are great California history books, but I think are better appreciated with a grounding in the basic timeline and rendition of historical events. "Wherever there's a fight" focuses on civil liberties (as per its title and the author's background w/ the ACLU). This is the "People's History of Calif." I was already knowledgeable about most of the events from my decades long submersion in ...more
Lukas
Nov 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm halfway through this. I'm reading it to get to know more about the area that I have chosen to move to and make a home in. Learning history was always a challenge for me, I get easily bored, but the stories in here are interesting enough and the way that I can make connections between what's in the text to what's in front of my face as I move about San Francisco is impressive to me. For example, I was in Sonoma last weekend and there was a mission with displays referring to the Bear Flag Revo ...more
Drew
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Stan and Elaine did an amazing job synthesizing historical and contemporary sources for a fascinating topic. Civil liberties have always been a hot topic in California from the Spanish missions to today! Very proud of both authors!!
Errol
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Badly needed an outside reader.
Erin
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Californians must read
Lisa
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
An excellent untold history of California. Great information to fill in the many gaps from my formal education in this state.
Ruby
Nov 10, 2009 added it
Review for Green Books Campaign: http://therubycanary.wordpress.com/20...
Mary
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Incredible detail in this book - a must for anybody who wants to understand California history or the complexity of the battle for civil rights. Well-written.
Dee
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Well-written, easy to read style, but subject matter is hard to read --- the story of early racism in CA is hard to stomach. Ir ead about 40 pages.
Eric Chow
Dec 17, 2011
Matt Garcia
Dec 22, 2012
Jul 19, 2010
Elaine Elinson was the communications director of the ACLU of Northern California and editor of the ACLU News for more than two decades. Wherever There's a Fight is the winner of a Gold Medal from the California Book Awards and a Bronze Medal from the Foreword Book of the Year Awards. She is a coauthor of Development Debacle: The World Bank in the Philippines, which was banned by the Marcos regime ...more