Start by marking “Horns” as Want to Read:
Horns

Horns

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  96,015 ratings  ·  8,354 reviews
Ignatius Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke up the next morning with a thunderous hangover, a raging headache . . . and a pair of horns growing from his temples.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private purgatory, following the death of
Published March 1st 2010 by William Morrow (first published March 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Horns, please sign up.
Zedsdead I think so. The book does a far better job conveying characters' motives. Without being able to fill in the gaps, I'd have thought the movie was dumb…moreI think so. The book does a far better job conveying characters' motives. Without being able to fill in the gaps, I'd have thought the movie was dumb instead of just over-condensed.(less)
César Hard to say, depends a lot on the reader. For me, 1-2.

Hard to say, depends a lot on the reader. For me, 1-2.

There are lots of hell/devilish imagery, but I didn't find the supernatural part scary at all. There are some (well done) thriller/suspenseful bits, though, mostly related to the murder/killer. They kept me at the edge of my seat reading, but I wouldn't list them as "scary".(less)

·  96,015 ratings  ·  8,354 reviews

Start your review of Horns
Kelly
In order to enjoy this book for the disappointment it is, I suggest the following for the over 21 crowd:

Take one sip every time...:
Someone exclaims any one of: "No!"; "Oh my God! What ARE you?
A character or location from a Stephen King novel is mentioned.
You want to slap the main character and tell him to man up.
Merrins hair is described.
The pace becomes inert.
The word devil appears. (*Warning* you may get intoxicated from this action alone)
The setting is either at the evil knieval trail
Stephen
horns-book-cover-02-1v2

Joe Hill has the story-telling gift and his terrific sophomore effort catapults him onto my authors-to-watch list. I had some heated internal debates regarding what final rating to tag this with as I vacillated between 5, 4 and 3 stars depending on where I was in the book, eventually settling on a very strong 4. I dont think this ratings quandary necessarily reflects uneven levels of quality in Hills execution. Rather, I think the back and forth resulted from the subtlety and complexity of the
Kemper
Mar 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Stephen King really messed up his son, Joe. Its not surprising. The children of famous people generally end up as tabloid fodder, and with King as a dad, Im shocked that one of his brood hasnt gone on an extended murder spree.

King spends all day thinking of the most horrific shit possible to try and scare the collective pants off the reading public, and he had huge substance abuse problems when his kids were young. So you gotta assume that the conversations went something like this:

Joe, get
Becky
Remember, way back at the beginning of the year, when I said that I wanted to hump Hugh Laurie's leg for writing The Gun Seller? After reading Horns, and just the ARC - not even the finished, shiny and perfect masterpiece - I want to hump Joe Hill's leg for writing it.

Not too long ago, I read Hill's short story collection, 20th Century Ghosts, and in the intro, Christopher Golden says that Hill is subtle writer, that his stories are "promises fulfilled". I think that Golden's words about Joe
Shannon
It's hard for me to rate this book. On one hand I was hooked within the first 20 pages. On the other hand though I found it emotionally draining and painful to read. There's a quote that Ig reads to himself that I think sums up my feelings as well:

"It goes against the American storytelling grain to have someone in a situation he can't get out of, but I think this is very usual in life."

I often read fantasy and paranormal books to escape the harsh realities of life. It's the same reason I don't
Dan Schwent
May 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2013
Ignatius Perrish's longtime girlfriend was murdered and the whole town thinks he did it but he's walking free because the evidence was destroyed. After an all night bender, he wakes up with horns sticking out of his head that allow him to hear the thoughts of others. When he learns the identity of Merrin's killer, things start spiraling out of control...

First off, the good points. Joe Hill's writing is a throwback to his father's early days, back when people had the guts to edit him and his
Matthew
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, horror, kindle, library
Joe Hill writes from a dark and mysterious place. When I read this book, I was enthralled and uncomfortable at the same time. With every Hill novel I have read, the evil is unconventional and twisted. In this novel, the protagonist connects with the dark forces through mysterious horns growing out of his head . . . and it only gets stranger from there.

My guess is that 9 out of 10 readers will have no idea exactly what happened, but there is a good chance that most of them will have enjoyed it
Anne(marie)
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-german
Actual rating: 2.5 🌟

I had no idea where the story would go and how it would end, which led to me only be able to make a judgement at the very end. This is one of those books you really have to look at as a whole.
However, I still can't say if I enjoyed it or if I didn't...

The biggest problem I had were the characters. I felt no connection to any of them. In fact, all of them seemed kind of "unreal" and "untouchable". I felt no emotion whenever something bad happened to them, either. I just didn't
Bill Khaemba
The best way to get even with anyone is to put them in the rear-view mirror on your way to something better.

Update: Just watched the movie I would give it a 6/10 the book is still way better
This book rapidly broke into one of the best books I have ever read. In my small reading life, I have never come across a book that has such a bizarre concept with its own unique premise and an amazing story line that just leaves you

I guess Satan was the first superhero [...] In his first
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
I'll start by saying that I loved both the book and the movie. Daniel Radcliffe did an amazing job at portraying Ig even if the actor looked a lot better than the book-Ignatius.

description

❄️Nani❄️
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good.

A clever premise that was executed really brilliantly.
I hated the characters, each more loathsome than the next but I loved our MC Ig.

But what I loved even more was the non-linear narrative style. Time jumps, POV changes, misleading narratives - all to finally wrap up so nicely in the end.

Charity
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Scaredy Cats and Evil Folk
Shelves: first-reads
4.5 Stars

When people saw me reading this they would ask if it was "any good." To say that this was good would be a massive understatement. It was supremely good. It was deliciously good. It was piss-your-pants good. It was leave-the-lights-on-all-night good. Yeah, it rocked! I was haunted, I was chilled, I was tingled, I was addicted. Putting the book down, even for a moment, was a hardship. Hill wrote about a psychopath that was so real, so disturbing, so terrifying, that I just wanted to peel
Taylor
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had high expectations for this book.

It completely blew those expectations out of the water!

This review might end up as a bunch of disjointed thoughts, because I'm having trouble organizing exactly how I felt. Warning: The beginning of this story is slightly soul-crushing. This book doesn't put a lot of faith in humanity, at least not in the beginning (I won't disclose anything about the end). As long as you don't take that aspect of it too seriously, it can be so good.

The setting was superbly
This book was psychotic, sad, humorous, mysterious, and did I say psychotic? Imagine waking up with a pair of horns growing out of your head and every person you encounter suddenly has a compulsion to tell you their darkest thoughts and actions. Twilight Zone is a kid's show compared to this!

After pissing his pants, the main character: Ig decides to make the best of this unbelievable situation. The love of his life was murdered and he didn't do it. But lucky for him, he can find out who did.
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
*After second reading*
VERY GOOD. watch my video review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZT4m3...

*First read in Nov/Dec 2012*
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

You think you know someone. But mostly you just know what you want to know.

Of course I know by now that Joe Hill is none other than the son of the nearly worshipped Stephen King. I keep seeing praise in my feed and groups about his work, but Horns is my first taste of what he's offering. I'd seen - and loved - the movie on Netflix a few months before reading this.

Since the book and movie are so similar, there weren't surprises waiting for me. That soured it a little but I still loved
Kerri
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Over the last few years Joe Hill has become one of my favourite authors. It's taken me a while to get to 'Horns', not through any act of avoidance but just because there are so many books to be read! Also, I'm a big believer in choosing what to read next based on instinct, letting a book call out to me, rather than working my way through a list methodically -- reading is my most loved activity, so I don't want to turn it into a chore.

So, as is often the case for me, this is exactly what I wanted
Bradley
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one hell of a fun novel.

Let me get rid of all the side stuff first... I'm reading this because I respect Joe Hill on his own merits and it's far from the first novel I've read of his. That being said, EVEN IF it wasn't Joe Hill, I had a fantastic time reading this!

Let's take the whole devil trope and turn it into a body/psychological horror novel, shall we? But let's turn away from the outside agency angle. :) Add a bit of the Lucifer tv show angle, add a few horns on Ig's head and the
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
As is the usual outcome, the book went leaps and bounds beyond the movie. When Ig awakens after a heavy night of drinking to forget his lover's death, he finds himself submerged in a brand new hell. As he searches for the truth about her murder, he finds out that devils walk amongst us... and sometimes, they're the good guys.
Barbara
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it

Joe Hill doing a reading from his book

Joe Hill - like his father, horrormeister Stephen King - delves into dark and frightening themes in his fiction. In this novel, the devil tries to get his due.....and we cheer him on. 😎

*****

Ignatius Perrish (Ig) and Merrin Williams met in a Gideon, New Hampshire church when they were fifteen and were soon a couple. Due to a confluence of circumstances, a boy called Lee Torneau - who also had eyes for Merrin - became a third wheel in the relationship, and
Johann (jobis89)
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Not my favourite Hill. Full review to come.
Mike (the Paladin)
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Well, I see a lot of reviewers liked this one... I may not be the first, but if I am, please let me be the first to disagree. Maybe it wasn't totally crap, but I found it a major disappointment.

Let me say I liked Heart Shaped Box a lot. It was a genuinely scary book that while it might not have broken totally "new" ground proved that the writer could do good psychological terror/horror without resorting to cheap cop out. This book, while not being terrible, was full of cop outs, stereotypes,
Apatt
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
As Horns is basically about a man who wakes up one day and finds that horns have sprouted on his head it is very tempting to start with a very lame joke here is a guy who wakes up feeling horny - LOL!. Fortunately I would never stoop to that level (plus it has already been done).

OK, so Ignatius Martin Perrish wakes up with a couple of horns and some supernatural power which most people would rather do without. Horns starts off like some dark and surreal comedy but as the story unfolds the
Bark
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, favorites
Ignatius (Ig) wakes up from a drunken stupor to discover he has horns growing out of his head. At first he believes hes losing his mind but quickly discovers that they are indeed real and come with a terrifying power that compel others to spill what theyre really thinking and its never all hearts and flowers either.

Poor Ig learns things about those closest to him that would destroy most people and soon realizes he is completely alone. A year earlier the love of his life, Merrill, was brutally
Chelsea
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
tw: rape

The people you love should be allowed to keep their worst to themselves.

This book is fucking fascinating from start to finish. Its this messy amalgamation of genres and philosophy and horror and incredibly weird symbolism, and even though it doesnt always work perfectly, it sure as shit kept me thinking on every page.

The story follows Ignatius Perrish, a man coping with his girlfriend Merrins brutal murder. It begins as he wakes up one morning after a night of being drunk and doing
Puck
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, what a book! How wicked, how sardonic, how devilishly good!

But with the main character called Ignatius (which means fire or firey one), what can you expect? Nothing better than a lovely strange story with well-fleshed characters and a subtle creepy atmosphere, with the theme of revenge smouldering in the background.

One year ago Merrin Williams, Ignatius Perrishs girlfriend, was found raped and murdered in the woods. Ig was the main suspect and although there was never any evidence to
Gavin
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I'm not a giant fan of the horror genre, but I'm glad I gave this book a chance as it was a decent enough read. Horns was more of a dark fantasy with a heavy dose of black comedy rather than your regular gore filled horror story, though it did have a few gory horror moments, and I think that is probably why I enjoyed it so much.

Ignatius Perrish wakes up after a heavy night of boozing to discover he has grown a pair of horns! At first he thinks he has simply lapsed into madness. Who could blame
Ashton Jade Gibbs
Horns - Joe Hill
Beauty, Books and Babble

After seeing the trailer for the movie adaptation of Horns, I naturally made the decision to read the book before watching the film, and after hearing nothing but good things about it from my brother, I couldn't wait to get stuck in.

Horns follows the story of Ignatius Perrish, who is living in his very own hell where his childhood sweetheart and long-term girlfriend, Merrin, has been murdered, and despite the lack of evidence, Ig is the prime suspect,
Maciek
After a night of alcoholic indulgence and doing terrible things, Ignatius Perrish wakes up very hungover and very surprised - he discovers that somehow when he was passed out a pair of horns grew on his head. Understandably shocked by the fact, Ig at first tries to deny the very existence of his horns - he it on booze-influenced hallucinations. Just to be sure, he decides to see a doctor and confirm that everything is all right with him. Because the horns do feel very real...

The visit to the

• Doctor Sleep
  • 'Salem's Lot
  • The Dead Zone
  • The Shining
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Carrie
  • A Head Full of Ghosts
Joe Hill's debut, Heart-Shaped Box, won the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel. His second, Horns, was made into a film freakfest starring Daniel Radcliffe. His other novels include NOS4A2, and his #1 New York Times Best-Seller, The Fireman... which was also the winner of a 2016 Goodreads Choice Award for Best Horror Novel.

He writes short stories too. Some of them were gathered together in

Articles featuring this book

"Horror fiction has traditionally dealt in taboo.… It makes monsters of household pets and begs our affection for psychos. It s...
30 trivia questions
1 quiz
More quizzes & trivia...
“The best way to get even with anyone is to put them in the rearview mirror on your way to something better.” 572 likes
“You think you know someone. But mostly you just know what you want to know.” 541 likes