Start by marking “Dorkismo: The Macho of the Dork” as Want to Read:
Dorkismo: The Macho of the Dork

Dorkismo: The Macho of the Dork

The dorks are saving the nation, and this book proves it. Maria Bustillos takes the reader on a thrill ride featuring $3 million Patek Philippe watches, the late David Foster Wallace, Woody Allen, Star Wars, Akihabara Electric Town, and much more. These serio-comic essays bear a message, lightly veiled, of freedom for all. Experience the dork victory that is within everyon ...more
Published August 10th 2009 by Accidental Books (first published February 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dorkismo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dorkismo

Stephen
Nov 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I apologize to the good lady who sent this book to me. The day I received it I went onto a medication that made writing very difficult. That is all straightened out and I can, at last, write this review.

If you are a hipster, do not read Dorkismo, because it is so anti hipster that not even the hippest hipster could possibly withstand the mind bending power of having your own opinion!

Dorkismo is know what you like, what you think, what you opinion is...all by yourself! Having the nerve to shout a
Jedidiah
Sep 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I initially heard of this book from a post the author made on the Infinite Summer website, and I can (predictably I'm sure) say that the David Foster Wallace chapter is wonderful. I never had the pleasure of meeting him or seeing him speak, and I think I would love to read a book that was nothing more than people reminiscing about him.

Overall though, Dorkismo is kind of a mixed bag. I liked the format (several short chapters) and the variety of subjects keeps things interesting, mostly because
Dominik
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine, to-reread
I won this book in the giveaway here on goodreads and at first I didn't know what to expect. How could this woman possibly "get" me? (Yes, I know, I sound like an angsty teen. But then, I'm only twenty.) But it turned out I was wrong.

While I don't agree with everything (especially the little test at the end strikes me as odd - a standardized test in a book that's supposed to celebrate individualism?), some interesting and compelling points were made, many of which I could apply to my own surroun
Shayne
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is delightful. Thoughtful and scholarly, while still being an awful lot of fun to read.

I was reminded of Tolkien's "On Fairy Stories" while reading the first chapter; he speaks of the power of fairy stories (which he emphatically did not think belong only to children) to give us recovery, escape and consolation. Bustillos makes the same point here, albeit in perhaps a more accessible fashion.

The first Star Wars movie had a huge impact on me, coming as it did after some grey years in my own
Bhob Wrust
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"The balanced mind is a dorky mind, indicative of someone who isn't scared of looking like an idiot, and who will cheerfully indulge his own eccentricities and those of others in an unprejudiced, inclusive way." -- from the last page of Dorkismo: The Macho of the Dork, by Maria Bustillos (Accidental Books, 2008), which everybody should immediately order from Powell's or some other independent online bookstore, because there is no such thing as Amazon.

I am three years late to this party, but I ha
Tuck
Nov 03, 2010 added it
dorkismo in modern music=pains of being pure at heart.
this book reads like an expansion of someones masters thesis, but nonetheless is an interesting look at dorks and nerds, what makes them so, and why it is a good thing. so you ask, wtf is a nerd good for? Bustillos says its because dorks/nerds are so consumed with their passion(s) (think a 12 year old who self-studies about their favorite thing; rock bands or mountain men or video games or pipas or hobbit land elf-speak or or) that they are n
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads, 2009
Maybe this was a better book than my rating, but I had difficulty connecting to some of the stories told as I wasn't very much familiar with some of the stuff mentioned in the book. But I do admit, for the ones I was able to understand, it wasan enjoyable read. The language was simple and friendly, easy to connect with, very much like listening to a friend talking to you. The pictures in reference to the chapters made it easier to get into what's being told. All in all, it was a good book, but p ...more
Kirsty
Nov 13, 2009 rated it liked it
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads, much to my pleasure as it is not the sort of book I would normally pick up and buy for myself.
I walked away with mixed feelings about this book. I found the chapters where I knew something about the topic wonderful to read, and interesting. However with the chapters I couldn't relate to, I found boring and had to force myself through them somewhat.
On the whole though a quick and fun read.
Amanda O'Donnell
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
I'm going to rate this book a two. It wasn't my normal read and I didn't know most of the people mentioned in it. I think a lot of other people will enjoy it because its very unique and I learned alot from the Chapters I could understand. I prefer to read fiction storys, this was just too complicated for me. I think it should be aimed at the older generation.
Krista
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked this book for the insightful and fun way the author celebrated people who, despite being socially awkward -- or, rather, because they weren't concerned with the norm -- ended up being great changemakers. I found some new heroes in this book, and it's not every day that happens.
Oriana
Oct 22, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-soon
She wrote a cool and compassionate article about hipsters on theawl.com, and if the essays in this book are in a similar vein, I think I will like it a lot.
Housegabel
Nov 28, 2012 rated it did not like it

The authors first and last chapter are great. You can skip everything in between. There was a lot that I didn't care for. BUT her point is valid. Life is best lived by fully, enthusiastically living it. And us dorks enjoy ourselves regardless of others.
Lexi Revellian
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Funny and enlightening; read this and you will no longer be embarrassed by your inner dork.
Melissa Conway