Start by marking “Τρία κείμενα για την ουτοπία: Thomas More Ουτοπία, Francis Bacon Νέα Ατλαντίς, Henry Neville Η νήσος των Πάιν” as Want to Read:

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  241 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
With the publication of Utopia (1516), Thomas More provided a scathing analysis of the shortcomings of his own society, a realistic suggestion for an alternative mode of social organization, and a satire on unrealistic idealism. Enormously influential, it remains a challenging as well as a playful text. This edition reprints Ralph Robinson's 1556 translation from More's or ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 13th 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about Τρία κείμενα για την ουτοπία

Kei
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ex-library
Meh.
I think I would have almost been okay just reading the introduction (even taking into account the level to which she loved the sound of her own voice.)

Utopia was interesting enough to pull quotes from, New Atlantis came across as a love affair with science and ego, and The Isle of the Pines was.... sort of wanting to clean my brain out with Lysol. Definitely an interesting piece, given the time it was written in, but... I didn't need to read it.

Overall I am looking forward to making sure my
Harry
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, fiction
A proto-Communist reverie by a Catholic saint; a text from 1627 featuring lasers, cloning and syntetic biology; and a raunchy, sexist, racist castaway tale; what's not to like?! And all this before the advent of the omniscient narrator, adding a pseudo-documentary touch that feels strangely modern in our age.
Whisper19
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
like some of More's ideas, but i wouldn't want to live there - i'd be a bit bored :)
Mel Vincent
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
The 3 Modern Utopias were very intriguing and very prophetic in a way that it precisely predicted the outcomes of science and technology.

Utopia (Thomas More): Before reading the book I thought that Thomas More would formulate a theory that would suggest an advanced and science centered society would be the driving force in creating the "Utopia" that the world needs. But as it turns out, the Utopia theory is actually regressive than progressive because it merely points out that tribalism is the p
Annalisa
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's unlikely anyone will go looking for a review of this book--it's more "I got assigned this in class" than "what should I read next? Well, I've had a hankering for early modern fiction...." But I have to comment on the third work in this book.

The first two are pretty well known--More's "Utopia" is either the most or second most famous utopia story every written (depending on how you feel about Plato's Republic) and while very dry in places is most quite engaging. Through our lens, More appea
Amy Catherine
Okay, I actually quite liked this difficult as it was at times to read, but it is interesting to have a perspective of the world put forward by a text written nearly 500 years ago. I'm referring mainly to Thomas More's "Utopia", as it's basically a political account narrated in story form, which tells More's view on what he perceives as the perfect society. He covers everything from warfare to religion, and it was interesting to see how a 16th Century scholar living in the early Renaissance perc ...more
alissa
I would call this a selection of speculative fiction from the 17th century. The three works depict the workings of an idealized or alternate society, couched in the form of travel narratives. The travel narrative allows a distance from the political and social baggage of the Old World. For example, Thomas More's Utopia, though predominantly Christian, has state religion set up in a manner meant to preclude the denominational schisms and religious wars that so coloured his age and the preceding c ...more
Roberta
'Utopia' is an important book to read so as to understand where all consecutive utopian and dystopian books come from. It describes an island with the perfect society, though to 21st century citizens that society seems quite restrictive and utilitarian.
'New Atlantis' describes a much softer, more pleasant-seeming society on a far-away island that has willingly chosen to remain hidden, while exploring other countries' scientific and industrial innovations.
'The Isle of Pines' is a short story of 2
Justin Evans
The stars rating doesn't work for a book like this. More's 'Utopia' is entertaining and sophisticated; Bacon's and Neville's works won't be of any interest to you unless you want to write a paper on them or get off on history of (bad) ideas. The apparatus for this book, though, is excellent: the introduction is well written, clear and interesting; the notes have just the right level of detail. But if you want something to read for kicks, you'll want to stick to More. As with Erasmus, the irony i ...more
Anna
More's Utopia: Some surprising modernistic ideas within the text, on feminism in particular - female soldiers and priests, provides a great insight into the social history of mankind. Bacon's New Atlantis: like reading a list of ideals and ideas. Henry Neville's The Isle of Pines: reminded me of Genesis, the beginnings of a society founded by one man! This edition was very well produced having not only useful explanatory notes to the works, but also short biographical time-lines, and a glossary.
M Strawberry Reviews
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essay
I have enjoyed Oxford World Classics for a long time because of the notes, biographies, and other content that is added to the book to supplement the stories themselves. This is a decent collection of three stories, with all the necessary notes and such. If you're curious about Utopia, buy this book and you'll get two other visions of Utopia as well, making for a good overall reading experience (once you get past the old language, which is rather clunky at times, but that is how it was written) ...more
I-kai
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All three quite interesting, even though I'm already quite familiar with New Atlantis before picking up this book. I don't know if there is a better translation of More's Utopia; the Robinson one which is in this book is quite archaic and the glossary in the back doesn't really come in handy anyway. One would even appreciate Utopia more if its allusions and explicit references to the Republic and Laws are seen. More definitely seems to have picked up Plato's practice of irony very well... :P
Matthew
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: utopia
I'll never think of bagpipes the same way again …

The editor's introductory essay was excellent, giving good context for the individual works and utopias as a whole. I read this collection primarily for New Atlantis, which was slightly disappointing – probably to the extent of halting my Baconian reading. However, a second read of Utopia was rewarding and I got far more from it than when I read it a couple of years ago. Isle of Pines, as suggested above, was interesting.
Jazz M
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a good compilation for study with all paraphernalia around the books included. However, for general readers, I can see that these would be dull and eccentric - simply a product of their times. There are higher quality utopias for modern readers available now.
Amanda
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The books in this compilation were important for me as a fan of the utopian/dystopian genre. From a historical perspective, it was interesting to read Thomas More's Utopia and contrast the values of Utopian society with his own Catholic values (the ones he died for).
Kathryn
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hard to understand, very dry
Nessa
Feb 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nessa by: Dr Ted McCormick
Shelves: school-book
Read for my class on Early Modern Utopias (HIST 610). I hated reading them but they make for wonderful, insightful discussions.
NaomiRuth
Good collection, good explanations and notes. Not much else to say currently.
Jeremy
More and Bacon were assigned for Dr. Jacobs's Early Modern Age course at Baylor (Spring 2014). I read Utopia quickly because it was also assigned in Dr. Donnelly's Milton seminar.
Cem
  • The English Language: A Historical Introduction
  • Touch of Gypsy Fire
  • The Duchess of Malfi and Other Plays
  • The Gift of Thanks: The Roots and Rituals of Gratitude
  • The Cambridge Companion to Aristotle (Companions to Philosophy)
  • The Old Testament: A Historical and Literary Introduction to the Hebrew Scriptures
  • Doctor Faustus and Other Plays, Parts 1-2
  • The Culture We Deserve
  • The Expulsion of the Triumphant Beast
Sir Thomas More (/ˈmɔːr/; 7 February 1478 – 6 July 1535), venerated by Catholics as Saint Thomas More, was an English lawyer, social philosopher, author, statesman and noted Renaissance humanist. He was also a councillor to Henry VIII, and Lord High Chancellor of England from October 1529 to 16 May 1532.

More opposed the Protestant Reformation, in particular the theology of Martin Luther and Willia
More about Thomas More...