Start by marking “Feelings and Faith: Cultivating Godly Emotions in the Christian Life” as Want to Read:
Feelings and Faith: Cultivating Godly Emotions in the Christian Life

Feelings and Faith: Cultivating Godly Emotions in the Christian Life

Weaves together biblical exposition and practical application to demonstrate how emotions relate to the Christian life.

Emotions are a vital part of what it means to be a human being made in the image of God and redeemed in Jesus Christ. But often our emotions confuse and mislead us. So what is the proper place for emotions in a Christian's walk of faith?

In Feelings and F

Published (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Feelings and Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feelings and Faith

Bruce
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bible believing Chrstians
Recommended to Bruce by: found in Christian bookstore
Shelves: ministry
I think that one of the challenges for a biblical counselor is ministering to the person who has been heavily psychologized and tends to live by their emotions as if emotions were centers of truth. More than once over the course of many years of ministering to people I've said, "I do not care what you feel, but do care what you believe."

Of course I do care about what a person may feel but it's important for that person to come to terms with the fact that emotions are but one aspect of the soul,
Becky Pliego
Very good (1st time read Summer 2013).

Read it for the second time on January 2015. I still think think it is very good.
Wayne Larson
In many respects this is an excellent book. The author has assembled some very helpful reflections on how the Bible speaks to our emotional life and the fullness and richness of Biblical teaching on the subject.

At the same time, the book is somewhat hamstrung by an assumption that all we need to know about our emotional life can be found in the Bible. This may sound safe, but is it really sound? I don't think so. There is much wisdom to be gained by the careful study of human emotional and psyc
Ben Zornes
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
Borgman lays out in the first part a basis for understanding the rightful place and perspective for our emotions. He looks at God's character, and although God doesn't have passions (as Westminster Confession puts it), the Bible is full of language demonstrating that God is a feeling God. Not that He is dependent on them, or controlled by them in any way. Rather, our fallen natures, and the fallen emotions we thus experience, "answer" to a similar thing in God. Borgman does a really great job wi ...more
Chrys Jones
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on the emotions and their impact on faith! Though I disagree with his rejection of the terminology "divine impassibility", I understand why he rejects it and what he thinks about God's emotions. This book was very powerful in reminding me of the godly emotional life that should characterize me as a child of God. I am extremely thank for this work, and it will be very useful in my biblical counseling in the future. I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in how emotions ...more
Taylor Rollo
This is a good book on considering emotions and godly, biblical emotional wholeness. It treats a subject that is generally overlooked or considered not worth the time. I admit, I do not think about emotional wholeness and am usually okay with emotional laxity instead of pursuing Christ-like emotions.

I think the most important contribution is a Biblical theology of emotions and showing how emotions are not sovereign, as they are thought to be by most today.

This would be a good book for a group st
Aaron Ventura
Borgman appears to functionally deny Divine Impassibility and although he has a short appendix on the topic, he does not deal with it in very helpful way. The rest of the book is easy to read but the content was mediocre. Would not recommend.
Daniel Baltich
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff, though I think his section on the imagination could have been more thorough. I do not agree that our righteous affections can only be cultivated by the Bible and Christian Biographies and books, I am convinced that Phil 4:8 allows to see God's majesty in culture forms that are secular.
Sam
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was superb. Far from being a frilly book on emotions and feelings, Borgman builds his case for godly emotions on rich, deep biblical theology. My copy is filled with highlights and notes.

I especially was helped by the section titled, "Mortifying Ungodly Emotions." The author describes the process for putting to death sinful anger, unforgiveness, bitterness, fear, anxiety, worry, and depression. He doesn't just beat the drum against sin, but gives genuine hope in Jesus and the gospel.
Josh
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crossway
Borgman offers a very balanced presentation of this topic, without swinging too far to either side of the pendulum (as is often the temptation). He pulls from the teachings of other authors such as John Piper, Jonathan Edwards, John Owen, J.I. Packer, Martyn Loyd-Jones, A.W. Pink, and B.B. Warfield, often using block quotations to illustrate his points. He also provides some recommended further reading at various points.

I may have been inclined to give this 5 stars, were it not for the latter pa
Anna
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This kind of book is all-encompassing; it's essential for developing a Christian worldview, and it was full of honest yet encouraging exhortations, taken straight from Scripture, to cultivate godly emotions. Will definitely read it again.
Krystan
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I totally needed this! I have been having a difficult time getting my emotions back on track after a deep hurt. This book reminded me that God uses the practical disciplines of the Christian life to form our emotions and emotional responses.
Godly
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book on how to handle the emotional aspects of life on the foundation of biblical truth. When a lot of emotions guide our thinking, Brian makes the case for embracing human emotions, nurturing, controlling and being sensitive to it yet ultimately submitting it to scripture! Recommended!
Dustin
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
A great book. Easy to read, extremely comprehensive.
Piper
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and scriptural.
Norma
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very interesting. Although it talks about feelings in many ways, it is a book that teaches great balance between them, always standing in His Word.
Veronica Nelson
Oct 22, 2018
Joel Aponte
Jan 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Brian S. Borgman is the founding pastor of Grace Community Church in Minden, Nevada. He earned the DMin from Westminster Seminary California and is the author of My Heart for Thy Cause. He and his wife have three children and live in northwestern Nevada.
“Have you realized that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself ? . . . You must take yourself in hand, you have to address yourself, you have to preach to yourself, question yourself . . . then you must go on to remind yourself of God, Who God is, and what God is and what God has done and what God has pledged Himself to do.13 Change” 0 likes